Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sluggish season, effects training.

Sluggish season, effects training.

I spoke was speaking to the doctor of TCM. You know the usual conversation starts with the weather. He told me that according to TCM and Ayurveda, the fall season, is the sluggish season. That sort of explains why you want to sleep or do nothing when it rains. He told me that sluggish things happen more often, during this season. Fatigue, constipation, tranquility etc. According to him, you should be carefull with amount of training, or you can get hurt, if you over do it. You can get hurt any time, but during this season, an individual is more prone to certain injuries.

Anyone heard of that or experienced any of that?

I usually don't want to do anything anyway
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

D@MN! I'm going through this right now. for the past 2 weeks I haven't felt like doing anything. I have been working out in the morning and I thought that was the reason I was feeling sluggish all day. This whole change of season thing makes total sense.

I do not believe in this and currently I feel tired, but I am doing what I have to do. I do not blame the season, I adapt to the changes when needed. If it is winter, I wear a coat, beanie cap, and UnderArmor gloves. If you don't prepare for the changes or for the worst, then blame yourself and not mother nature or allah. Moreover, if I am lazy and weak, then I take full responsiblity for being lazy/weak and not blame it on anicent mythological medical theory.

Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 10-08-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

People do tend to feel better when it's sunny, tho. I'm not sure why.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Light has an effect inside our brains. Light increase some chemical (drug) inside us to make us free alert and well. That is why we feel like crap when we travel long trips and in different time zone. Possible theory is that our normal light viewing is throw off balance. A good way to readjust our internal clock is waking up early taking a walk in the sunlight. On the other hand, avoid TV watching, computer surfing, or reading before bed because that can affect our sleep. Keeping ourselves in the complete darkness helps us sleep better unless the boogy man is underneath your bed or inside your closet. On a personal note: I remember when I was a boy I imagined (so I hope) there was an old black southern woman with big white teeth and thin red lips that haunted by closet. Who was fond of saying in a southern accent, "oooo Child, I comming to get you when you sleep." LOL. I love telling this story to children.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 10-08-2005 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    I do not believe in this and currently I feel tired, but I am doing what I have to do. I do not blame the season, I adapt to the changes when needed. If it is winter, I wear a coat, beanie cap, and UnderArmor gloves. If you don't prepare for the changes or for the worst, then blame yourself and not mother nature or allah. Moreover, if I am lazy and weak, then I take full responsiblity for being lazy/weak and not blame it on anicent mythological medical theory.

Bao
    Curious that you don't "believe" in this. The change in seasons has an effect on this whole planet. Nature is going through a huge change right now. There is less sunlight, the temperature is lower and weather paterns are different. How could this not have an effect on living creatures. Some more than others I'm sure. Consider the moon's gravity and the effect is has on the tides. If the moons gravity is powerful enough to effect something as massive as all the oceans on the planet then how can it not affect people in some way.

Also, there is nothing ancient or mythological about Seasonal Affective Disorder. http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm

As far as blaming myself for feeling lazy or weak. I really don't know what you're talking about. I've pretty much had the same diet all summer, same workouts, and the same schedule. Then all of a sudden the weather changes, there's less light, it's cloudy and colder and I feel sluggish. What am I supposed to do, look inward and find the reason within myself for the change or does it just make more sense that it might take my body a couple of weeks to adjust to the enviromental changes.

You've got a very condescending way with words dude. Sheesh.

Chief,

I did not mean to sound condescending toward anyone and I am sorry if I came off that way. I was speaking directly on myself and I can be critical of myself when it comes to my training because I take it very seriously. There are plenty of people who look up to me and there are people who I look up to which encourages me to up my game. Again I am NOT saying anything negative aganist anyone here. I have my own issues and flaws to deal with and I am not so worry about looking at the imperfectiion of others unless they want my help. Personally, I try to be "proactive" about my own health and not reactive. Of courses everything is interrelated and I agree with you. I should have wrote that do not "believe" in using anything as an excuse when there are things which we can do to improve one's self or prevent bad things from happening. All in all, I am sorry if you or anyone were offended by my words.

One,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 10-09-2005 at 07:20 AM.

Greetings,

Fall is usually the opposite for me. When I was training consistently, I would experience an increase in energy and strength. Case in point, I started to ease back into my training a day before Fall. I did not realise it until I read this thread. Am I am still with the energy. There is a down side for me this time of year-- a strange sensitivity to the shortening of the days as well as insomnia. At times, there is a lethargy; but usually it is in reference to time. For example, 8pm feels like midnight; I'm not tired at at all-- it just feels that way. I find myself finally sleeping anywhere from 1am to 4am in the mornings.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Curious that you don't "believe" in this. The change in seasons has an effect on this whole planet. Nature is going through a huge change right now. There is less sunlight, the temperature is lower and weather paterns are different. How could this not have an effect on living creatures. Some more than others I'm sure. Consider the moon's gravity and the effect is has on the tides. If the moons gravity is powerful enough to effect something as massive as all the oceans on the planet then how can it not affect people in some way.

Also, there is nothing ancient or mythological about Seasonal Affective Disorder. http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm

As far as blaming myself for feeling lazy or weak. I really don't know what you're talking about. I've pretty much had the same diet all summer, same workouts, and the same schedule. Then all of a sudden the weather changes, there's less light, it's cloudy and colder and I feel sluggish. What am I supposed to do, look inward and find the reason within myself for the change or does it just make more sense that it might take my body a couple of weeks to adjust to the enviromental changes.

You've got a very condescending way with words dude. Sheesh.
    Cool article.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey
    Greetings,

Fall is usually the opposite for me. When I was training consistently, I would experience an increase in energy and strength. Case in point, I started to ease back into my training a day before Fall. I did not realise it until I read this thread. Am I am still with the energy. There is a down side for me this time of year-- a strange sensitivity to the shortening of the days as well as insomnia. At times, there is a lethargy; but usually it is in reference to time. For example, 8pm feels like midnight; I'm not tired at at all-- it just feels that way. I find myself finally sleeping anywhere from 1am to 4am in the mornings.

mickey
    It seems like your body has a different way of dealing with changes.
    Try Valerian root or Chammomile, it can help to relax and sleep.

Maybe it has something to do with working outdoors most of the time, but I find I work out more in the cold months than hot ones, not to mention I work out longer. Everything else slows down though, work, house chores, etc.

I'm feeling lazy too! I haven't even read this whole thread because I've got no get-up-and-go at the moment, lol.....urgh!
    --- time is never wasted when your wasted all the time ---

I too have been hit with the laziness. I've been putting off picking up around my home, and not studying enough. It seems like sleep and tv grab my atention the most. I'll try some sun therapy to see if it helps.
    Are you a warrior? Killer? Slicin --it like a samurah

Hello chaiwai,

Thank you for your suggestions.

mickey