Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top wc fighters in the world

Quote Originally Posted by YongChun
    In 1982 I visited Eddie Chong's Wing Chun school in San Francisco. There was talk at that time that the students at another Wing Chun school claimed to have killed 8 bad street people with their Wing Chun that year all in the name of self defence. As the years go by you hear more and more stories like that and start to doubt all of them.
    Ray
    It's wierd that there's people out there who will boast about killing a wino / hobo / bum whose blood alcohol was probably around .30% and probably hadn't eaten a meal in a couple of days. How tough of an opponent would someone like that be? (Basically like a punching bag with bad breath.)

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Lawrence,

Dude, you were like *right* between Ernie and me. Next time you're down, drop a line, I've got decent guest quarters and am surface streets off Glendale. At least we should grab a brew of something. . .

It's wierd that there's people out there who will boast about killing a wino / hobo / bum whose blood alcohol was probably around .30% and probably hadn't eaten a meal in a couple of days. How tough of an opponent would someone like that be? (Basically like a punching bag with bad breath.)
    *SIIIIINNNGGINNG IN THE RAIN; SIIINNNGINNG IN THE RAIN; WHAT A WONDERFUL FEELING TO BE LAUGHING IN THE RAIN*

Or how not to get panhandled by the film-literate LA homeless.

Andrew

I don't even like to think about this subject. My opinion on this can change...daily.

Michael Casey is a cool dude, though.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    Lawrence, Dude, you were like *right* between Ernie and me. Next time you're down, drop a line, I've got decent guest quarters and am surface streets off Glendale. At least we should grab a brew of something. . .
    10-4......... Thanks, Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    *SIIIIINNNGGINNG IN THE RAIN; SIIINNNGINNG IN THE RAIN; WHAT A WONDERFUL FEELING TO BE LAUGHING IN THE RAIN*
    Stanley Kubrick friggen rocks!!
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

u can laugh your fcuking arse off all u want

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer

BTW Kevin CHan world BJJ Champion???!!!!!!! LMFAO!!

I think Roger Gracie, Jacare, Garcia, Viera bros, Pe de pano, Comprido, Margrida etc. and others would have soemthing to say about that.
    yes mate, he came second in the world cahmpionships held in rio a couple of weeks ago, he came second by one point. he had 3 days notice to train for the comp.
    he also came second in the championships held in california a few months ago, due to him doing a bicep crunch which was not made out to him that it was 'illegal'.
    so before you start being an arragant ***g0t, do your research and you would know that my sifu trains one under R. Gracie himself.
    deary me nick,
    hza

apart from that great example of arragance, i dnt think he was mentioned in hard *******s 2, lol, but i wouldn't mess either way.

yeah, i mean there are may good fighters out there, and i know few of them, but i would say sifu Kevin Chan is up there too.
    cheers
    hza
    ''whatever happens is supposed to happen- ''
    Harry Davis
    www.kamonwingchun.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazhardy
    yes mate, he came second in the world cahmpionships held in rio a couple of weeks ago, he came second by one point. he had 3 days notice to train for the comp.

he also came second in the championships held in california a few months ago, due to him doing a bicep crunch (which was not made out to him that it was 'illegal'.

so before you start being an arragant ***g0t, do your research and you would know that my sifu trains one under R. Gracie himself.
    deary me nick,
    hza

Its interesting (telling?) that you resort to ho_mophobic insults when someone challenges something you say. How old are you? 14?

However.......I know full well that Kevin Chan trains at Gracie Barra with RG and that he is a very tough competitive purple, in fact, I probably know a lot more about it than you since you seem to think that coming

second (not first)
    in his weight class (not open weight)
    as a purple belt (not black belt)

makes him world champion.

Of course if you win your division at the mundials then technically you could say you are world champion (as Andrew Nerlich correctly pointed out) but you would have to follow it with belt, weight and age category in order to give a complete picture - otherwise you risk misleading people, especially given the context in which the statement was made i.e. the toughest fighter in wing chun; although in you're case perhaps not deliberately so since you clearly have no real grasp on what you're talking about (as your use of the term 'bicep crunch' makes clear).

Oh and in case you missed it

well..........taking nothing away from Kevin Chan (who im sure is a very good bjj practitioner in his own right), having rolled with a 7 times black belt mundial world champion there is a vast chasm between that level and a purples, even a very tough purple.

Some advice: Read a bit more carefully before you go off on one
    Last edited by Nick Forrer; 10-07-2005 at 05:12 AM.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by hazhardy
    apart from that great example of arragance, i dnt think he was mentioned in hard *******s 2, lol, but i wouldn't mess either way.
    Nope he definitely is in Hard B@stards 2. I think there is mention of it on the Kamon website.

I found the book in a bookshop and voila there he was!

Afternoon All,

You can all read about Sifu Kevin Chan's exploits on the Kamon Web site if you so wish....
    http://www.kamonwingchun.co.uk/index.asp

There are some photos on there too if interested!

I admit my exposure is limited but I would nominate Kevin as one of the better wing chun fighters, he's very relaxed, explosive, precise and carries some power too!
    He has proven ground fighting skills and he's constantly testing himself so that he can continue his learning and progression.

For me, this is obviously theoretical as there are some major strengths required for a fighter that can't really be shown in class.

I'm thinking they would be heart, never say die attitude, willingness to go further than the other chap, ability to work under severe pressure...

Ps
    I may be transfering out to Glendale next year, any recomendations on places to train from those in the area? thnx

I just wanted to wait and see if anyone would mention him. Sifu Jose Grados in my humble opinion has the best standup I have ever seen. He also claims to have won many street fights using wingchun. If you ever visit the school and see his in depth applicable knowledge of wingchun, you would just know this guy kicks a$$ and has taken his art to another level. He started wingchun at a very young age. His nickname in Harlem was "Tony hands." He even had a gold nameplate with that. I for one believe him because I haven't seen too many bouncers in NYC that don't know and totally respect his skills. He has also hungout with socially, and trained with, the Machado brothers and Rodrigo Gracie. They had a great mutual respect for one another. They would go to clubs together and people would say there goes the best stand up and ground fighter hanging out together. Anybody who is serious about improving their wingchun and fighting skills should seek him out. You will not be dissappointed.

Mortal1:

My first teacher also had a lot of good things to say about Sifu Grados. He said he was very fast and moved very well. He claimed Sifu Grados was the best he has seen over here in the states so far(my teacher was originally from Paris.) Again, this was his opinion and not my own, I've never met nor seen Sifu Grados in real life. However, I've seen videos of him and I like the way he moves. It seems like he's very good at deflecting the energy of attacks coming at him, and I particulary like how he is able to quickly transfer from a strike to a takedown or some sort of arm lock/control.

Peace all-

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund
    Come on. It can turn septic! .
    I stand corrected.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer
    so since you clearly have no real grasp on what you're talking about (as your use of the term 'bicep crunch' makes clear).

Some advice: Read a bit more carefully before you go off on one
    dude. bicep crunch is what it's called. it's on the site and i was told by sifu himself.... 16 not 14.... yeah i do know what i'm talking about... i even training with Mauricao Gomes this weekend. aren't i lucky. and not bad for 16.

ps. i wasn't going off on one.
    hza
    ''whatever happens is supposed to happen- ''
    Harry Davis
    www.kamonwingchun.com

My vote is for Emin B. Some may not agree but if you have never seen this man in person you do not know what you are talking about. One of the best!

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDOG 2
    My vote is for Emin B. Some may not agree but if you have never seen this man in person you do not know what you are talking about. One of the best!

Hey, I haven't seen him in person, but he still gets my vote. That guy's a beast.
    He would woop a$$!

I vote for Phil Redmond Deadliest man LOL!http://www.chathamthisweek.com/story.php?id=100004
    He has never even been in a fight even in nam he could not fight being an only child.