View Poll Results: Which fist position do you consider your BASIC technique?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vertical fist

8 36.36%
  • Horizontal fist

10 45.45%
  • 45 degree angle fist

1 4.55%
  • Other

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic fist position

If it is a child or 7 year old class, may be learn how to be balance in posture standing and moveing is more important.

Tan Tui would be good in practicing to be able in balance in every step and every kick. Power or Jing issueing is not a concern. To pick up a good balance and good habit in postures are more important.

At 5 and 1/2 year old, I was able to do backward Ba Gua walk as well as forward.

My father would say what are you doing?

I said drunken Ba Gua?

At young age, kids pick up stuff quickly and very creative, too.

No serious training till after 13, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    It's basically a palm strike turned in about 45°. The contact point is the outside of the palm, not the whole heel of the hand.

It's mainly used for straight- and cross-face/head and sternum/collar bone strikes. The mechanics are almost identical to the vertical fist, except you don't run the risk of broken fingers or getting a "boxer's fracture" in your hand from a misaligned punch.
    I got floored with a palm strike like this last week. My oponent hit me just below the rib cage with a downward strike. Took my wind and put me down on one knee. Just to clarify, he turned his palm in (fingers facing inward). It was a great move and made me aware of at least one of my weaknesses. Like, I'm too squared off when closing the gap.

horizontal for the most part.

i'm keep my stances a little lower than a lot of people and it just seems to be what the fist wants to do after listening to the hips.

a lot of the body shots end up about 45 degrees i think though.

its been a while.
    where's my beer?