Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 18 Louhan Hands question

I have yet to see correct info about Lohan forms anywhere.
    Especially if Shaolin is the source of the data, it appears wrong all the time.
    Their books, vcds, etc are all wrong. (pardon any mispellings).

There are in reality only these Shaolin Lohan forms that can still be found.

- Shaolin 18 Hands Forms Roads 1 to 9 (Shaolin Shi Ba Shaou)
    - Shaolin 18 Fist form (Shi Ba Quan)
    - Small 18 Hands form (Xiao Shi Ba Shaou) (Might be more modern)
    - Small Lohan (Xiao Lohan Quan)
    - 2nd Road Small Lohan (Er Lu Xiao Lohan Quan)
    - Large Lohan (Da Lohan)
    - 2nd Route or Refined Lohan (Er Lu Lohan Quan)

(there is also a Lohan Duan Da and a Lao - ancient Lohan forms)

Okay, so that's about all of them that came out of Shaolin in the last 1,500 years.

1. The Shaolin Encyclopdia, the Shaolin Da Quan, Volume 2, shows 9 Roads (Da Lu) of a form called 18 Hands of Lohan. Road 9 is the oldest road, it comes to Shaolin from the Wah Quan style, back in the Yuan Dynasty period. It is the one made known in the book by Cai Long Yun, the 24 move, 2 person form and two other Shaolin forms books. So, is it out of sequence?

2. The Shaolin Encyclopedia Volume 2 also shows a form on page 188, called Shaolin Lohan Quan, but in actuality everywhere else this form is ONLY THE FIRST SECTION Of the real Shaolin DA LOHAN FORM. it's only a piece of the big Lohan form, the first 29 moves. And sometimes this form is called the Xiao, the small lohan, but that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

3. Shaolin Encyclopedia Volume 2, page 194, what they call the Er Lu Lo Han form, but it in actuality is known most places as the real XIAO LOHAN form, except the version shown in vol 2 is the longest version of the form seen anywhere else. So, the name of the form is wrong, but the fact that it has all the moves that are often missing everywhere else is good.

4. In Volume 2 of the book Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms, by the Ta Gou School, on page 198, they show the correct Xiao Lohan Quan form, but it is missing the end section of the form (which is shown in the Er Lu Quan form in Shaolin Ency, volume 2 ).

5. The VCD BEB-844, Shaolin Lohan Quan, in actuality shows the form XIAO lohan quan, pretty much as shown in Volume 2 of Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms, by the Ta Gou School, on page 198.

6. In Volume 3 of the book Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms, by the Ta Gou School, the correct version of the real ER LU LOHAN Quan form, shown on page 293.

This form is incorrectly labeled as Lohan Quan form in the book Shaolin Chuan Tong Wu Shu Pu Ji Jiao Cai, Shaolin Quan volume, page 101. recently published.

7. Now, the VCD Shaolin Da Lo Han Quan, VW526-7, Chinese Kungu Wu Shu series
    is really in actuality really the ER LU Lohan Quan Form, as shown exactly in Volume 3 of the book Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms, by the Ta Gou School in Henan.

8. The VCD, BWS-226, Er Lu Lohan Quan, Chinese KungFu Series, shows the correct Er Lu form, as shown in Volume 3 of the book Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms.

9. Also, the VCD, BWS-166-07 Shaolin Lohan Quan is actually the Er Lu Lohan form (not so great).

10. In Volume 3 of the book Shaolin Gong - Fu - A Course in Traditional Forms, by the Ta Gou School, on page 507, there is a form there correctly called Da Lohan Quan, but it is only 3/4th of the form.

11. The rest of the form is found in a book called Shaolin Shi ? Da Lu, ISBN 5349-1753-0, starting on page 296. Between the two books, the most complete version known so far of Da Lohan Quan can be put together, if a side by side comparison is done. I have done so.

12. In the book called Shaolin Shi ? Da Lu, ISBN 5349-1753-0, starting on page 256, is a form that they call Shaolin Lohan 18 HANDS, that they attribute to Li Shu, during the Yuan Dynasty. I have never seen this particular Lohan 18 Hands form anywhere else before. It looks nothing like anything I have ever seen.
    (By the way, this same book shows the long lost Yi, Er, and San Lu forms of the Da Hong Quan forms, NOT the one that is currently taught at Shaolin, but the Da Hong Quan forms that match in style with the Xiao Hong Quan form everyone know, the one that is linked to the Tai Tzu Chang Quan form taught in Shaolin.)

13. The VCD VW522-7, Old Frame Hammering Series, 18 Hands of the Small Arhat (lohan) Boxing shows a very short 18 Hands form that doesn;t match anything I have seen anywhere else. IT is not one of the ones shown in roads 1 to 9 in the Shaolin Encyclopedia, but it is kinda close to Road 1 in that book. It is a mystery what form this very short form really is. Is it really a new training form? An abbreviated Road 1 of the 18 Hands of the Lohan?

14. Also, this VCD is a little bit close to the form called Lohan 18 hands on page 1 in the book Shaolin Chuan Tong Wu Shu Pu Ji Jiao Cai, Shaolin Quan volume and to the form called 18 Hands Route 1 in the Shaolin Encyclopedia. Between these two books, these two forms match, but the end of the form is slightly out of sequence from each other (moves are in reverse order at the end).

15. The VCD VW522-6, the Small Arhat (Lohan) Boxing, Old Frame Hammering series, shows a Lohan form that doesn't match up to what is really considered the Xiao Lohan form in correct sources. It is a mystery what form this is really.

16. The book, Shaolin Quan, volume 3, ISBN 7-81003-236-4, shows a long lost form called Er Lu Xiao Lohan Quan. it is supposed to be exactly what it is named, the second road of the real Xiao Lohan Quan form.

17. Finally, the book Shaolin Quan Wu Shu, volume 2, ISBN 7-81003-285-2, shows two forms from Lohan style, both incorrectly named. Page 38 has a form they call 18 Lohan Hands, which is the same form shown as Er Lu 18 Lohan Hands in the Shaolin Encyclopedia (the second form of the 18 Lohan hands sets). On page 47 there is a form they call Xiao Lohan Quan which is the same as the form called Lohan Quan in the Shaolin Encyclopedia, which makes it in actuality the first section of the Da Lohan Quan form, but for some reason it is called the Xiao Lohan Quan in this book.

Phew!!!!!

Anyone else care to make a stab at this?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I must be slipping. It's been so busy around here.

We ran Shawn Liu's (Deru) version of Songshan Luohan Shi Ba Shou in our NOV 98 issue. I also did a four-article series on Songshan Shaolin Xiao Luohan (performed by Shi Guolin) that started in our July Aug 2001 and concluded (quite appropriately) in our Jan Feb 2002 (Shaolin Special).

I learned Xiao Luohan initially from Shi Yanming in a one-day seminar. It didn't stick really, nor did I continue to work on it, but I had to relearn it to work out that article series. I learned Da Luohan from Shi Decheng in '98 at Shaolin. I'm pretty rusty on that too - there was a movement in the begining that I never resolved and the end pattern is a bit messed up in my mind. Neither form is in rotation as part of my regimen anymore sadly. I enjoyed both forms immensily - nice energy flow and some fine applications - but things fall to the wayside and those two were some of those things.

According to my calculations, the form shown in the 1998 issue is Road One (or first form) of the 18 Lohan Hand forms, there are 9 Roads shown in the Shaolin Encyclopedia.

The form in the 2001 issue is commonly called Xiao Lohan in Shaolin today, but it really is section one of the real 108 move Da Lohan form.

I carefully watched the VCD of the 18 Hands form mentioned above.

It looks like it IS the form shown is indeed pretty much Road One of the 18 Hands of the Lohan, as also shown in the Shaolin Encyclopedia.

The only thing is that it contains 4-5 extra moves and near the end it does the moves in a different order than the traditional way to do the form.

Weird.
    Makes you wonder about all the other Shaolin forms in this VCD series (Old Frame shaoin). If they go modernizing the forms, what the point of putting out the vcds and claiming that they are the old way to do the forms?

Shaolin lately always seems associated with bull or incorrect info.

Lohan system

can the original poster re post this question at www.emptyflower.com for the attention of Dr Kenneth Fish, he may well be able to help with a lot of information on the Lohan system. I belive he learned the complete system from a Master Wu.

might be of help
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home
    can the original poster re post this question at www.emptyflower.com for the attention of Dr Kenneth Fish, he may well be able to help with a lot of information on the Lohan system. I belive he learned the complete system from a Master Wu.

might be of help
    Just did that, but I hate that site.

empty flower

Ok , you may hate the site, but give it a bit of time you might get some good answers
    Kune Belay Sau