Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shaolin Do and San Soo

San Soo suffers an identity crisis. There are staunch old-timers that only recognize the EXACT techniques Jimmy taught - then there are those 'youngsters' that teach in the 'spirit' of what Jimmy meant.

You could travel from one school to the next and see something completely different. It's sad, but it's the nature of the beast. There are some DEADLY fellas that train - then there are those I would consider an embarrassment. There are many self-appointed Masters in the art.

Monkey Slap - Most of the better San Soo stylists cross-train in Kali or BJJ. I have grown a bit tired of the political mess remaining in the art and now call my club Core Concepts. I have hopes that things will turn around in the art, but I don't know.

I've seen San Soo guys train. They do very little but prearranged techniques and bad forms. Worst of all is their total lack of athleticism. I saw balck belts huffing and puffing, like they were goign to pass out.

The "Vice grips on the nards" metaphor is pretty typical of the macho attitude in San Soo. When they're not wearing themselves out playing pattycake, they're congratulating themselves on how "deadly" they are.

They claim they train CLF, but their art bears no resemblance to any CLF that I've seen.

oh great...

...so we're going to argue SD and SS here now? Can we go back to just debating about fake monks?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!
    Fake MONKS!

Only because you asked me to
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I've seen San Soo guys train. They do very little but prearranged techniques and bad forms. Worst of all is their total lack of athleticism. I saw balck belts huffing and puffing, like they were goign to pass out.

The "Vice grips on the nards" metaphor is pretty typical of the macho attitude in San Soo. When they're not wearing themselves out playing pattycake, they're congratulating themselves on how "deadly" they are.
    Funny...that sounds like the Shaolin-Do school I used to train at for over a year...you Baghwan...
    and too bad a good majority of SS players could own on SD kids all day.
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 11-13-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

school

So which SD school did you train at Captain ??? KC

San Antonio chapter. My Sifu was Ryan Howard under the Joe Schaffer lineage.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

school

Go up to the Austin School I think you will get a good w/o there. As intense as you want to make it . KC

No thanks, chum! I've already had my fill of the N Austin SD buffet. It's about the same. Besides, I've found an art that is truely worth my time and effort. I've seen what SD has to offer(from Schaeffer to Mullins all the way to Sin The' himself), and thank you ma'am, but I'll have to pass.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest