Thread: 7star mantis or karate

wilsontreyhendge Guest

7star mantis or karate

I have found a 7 star mantis school in this city(Rochester) but it is a distance from me. Would it be better to go thru the hassel and learn 7star praying mantis or to learn karate instead? So basicly does it outway karate by so much that it is worth the long travel time? Any help will be appriaciated.
    -Peace-

obiwan Guest

possibly

I've trained in both, GKR karate and 7 star.

7 Star beats it by a country mile.

Maybe others have a different experience, but that's my 2 cents, although I wasnt impressed by a Southern Mantis school i went to. Very flimsy to say the least.

Each person will have their own experience. Why not have a go at both briefly to decide which style is right for you? I think distance is worth the travel for the quality.

cheers
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The Force will be with you...always

ShaolinMantis Guest

this or that

There is a old saying, I heard repeated from even a non-martial art person.

A Kung Fu person can do Karate
    A Karate person can not do Kung Fu.

There is nothing wrong with studying Karate. there is something to learn from everything.
    One way of looking at it is :

Jr College = Karate
    University = Kung Fu

I studied Karate for 7 years. I took Choy Li Fut before hand for about 1 year.
    When sparing with my sense, (instructor) if I did his style ( Shotokan ) I could not touch him. If I switched to Choy Li Fut, I could for the most part tag him at will.

Some of that i'm sure had to do to with his being unfamilar with Kung Fu.

respect & best wishes

ShaolinMantis-I

hungga_disciple Guest

Fist of the North Star

Power without preciption is spirtually useless and therefor of no TRUE VALUE

Taijimantis Guest

I agree with Shaolin Mantis...

I still practice Tang Soo Do, and go thru the forms of my *******ized American karate style to be sure I still remember them.

Karate is great.
    You can learn lots of very practical no-nonsense defense techniques in a realatively short period of time. Any system if cultivated long enough can be formidible (especially to someone with no formalized training).

Kung Fu is something else.
    Kung Fu takes much longer to awaken within a practitioner. Learning the forms and techniques in our class is only the beginning i have been told.
    A Sihing of mine told me that he had learned the same form four or five times, because each time he learned the set, Ly Sifu would tell him everything was wrong.
    What I assume to be the case is that Sifu "corrects" the form as the individuals power and skill grows. I notice many differences in the way the advanced students practice Kung Li Chuan and Bong Bo, thatn those who just learned the forms.
    Kung Fu becomes effetive the longer you use it.
    Tai Chi even longer.

How patient are you?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Namaste