Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defense against Thai Boxing and other clips

The main contingency

Is to always use a 'double-approach' that is not to simply block or punch but to 'block-&-punch/kick' at the same time. Since someone is already throwing a punch (or kick) at you, you may as well 'block & counter' at the same time. He needs some time to recover, but the best way is to go into the kill. One must think in terms of 'combination's or 'strings' of moves (not preconviced but fluid) & that can only come after training. Against Kickboxers & tend to combine 'trickery' with speed. Often he may throw kicks while I'd aim for shins before (suddenly) throwing a shot at his head following by the ribs & a kick to the shin (usually in some kind of random order). However, my advantage has always been speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Sorry, didn't know this was a serious chat, like I said I was hoping it was a spoof.

Liddel's on the nail, although I could only actually stand to watch the 'boxing' one.

1) They don't have any boxers there......etc.......
    It's hard to take this stuff seriously, that's why I called a "reality check" in an earlier post. Certainly all your points ( and Liddel's) are on the mark, IMO.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    It's hard to take this stuff seriously, that's why I called a "reality check" in an earlier post. Certainly all your points ( and Liddel's) are on the mark, IMO.
    I think all those people are serious but maybe just haven't go experience against the real Thai boxer or real boxer. A lot of the things most Wing Chun people do seems to be viewed the same way by todays MMA crowd.

Ray
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by zooki
    I found Emin Boztepe and his ways of countering kicks/ wrestlers to be more effective.
    I wouldn't be surprised considering Boztepe has probably rolled with guys going all out on him.

http://wongkk.com/video-clips/wrestling/emiko01.html

i'm going to feel really bad for that girl the second she goes up against a wrestler half that size who
    1. knows fighting isn't the street isn't a wrestling mat and doesn't plan to lie on her all day
    2. knows how to grapevine the legs making pushing off the ground impossible
    3. knows how to apply a proper mount on the chest.

the boxing counter is hilarious too. "oh boy! I will chase your hands all day while you keep trying to punch me! One question though, when do i get my turn to punch you?"
    Last edited by Eliver; 12-03-2005 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YongChun
    I think all those people are serious but maybe just haven't go experience against the real Thai boxer or real boxer. A lot of the things most Wing Chun people do seems to be viewed the same way by todays MMA crowd.
    Ray, They may be serious, I suspect that they are, otherwise why we they be wasting their valuable time dong what they're doing. I just think, based on what I can see, that the training is of limited benefit and may in fact be dangerous in that they think this stuff will work against a real fighter. This is just the type of training that gives CMA a bad rap with the MMA crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliver
    i'm going to feel really bad for that girl the second she goes up against a wrestler half that size who ............
    I thought they were getting ready to do CPR or something.

It's the latest trendy LA workout. Kung Slap Cardio!!!!!!!!!