Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepping Out!

Scarletmantis Guest

Thanks Count and Sifu Thomas!

Your clarification is appreciated. Like you, I am here to learn. If someone presents an unfamiliar concept to me, I want to know as much as I can about it. Thanks again!
    I'd like to reiterate my previous post for Sifu Thomas's sake. The stepping pattern I mentioned before is designed to instruct the begginer in the most basic ways to enter and avoid. It's definatly not a "fixed" pattern. In combat, the practitioner should always use his or her training in a fluid, living way in order to defeat his opponent, not adhere to an artificial form. I hope Your frustration wasn't aimed at me. :D

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

Scarletmantis Guest

Thanks Count and Sifu Thomas!

Your clarification is appreciated. Like you, I am here to learn. If someone presents an unfamiliar concept to me, I want to know as much as I can about it. Thanks again!
    I'd like to reiterate my previous post for Sifu Thomas's sake. The stepping pattern I mentioned before is designed to instruct the begginer in the most basic ways to enter and avoid. It's definatly not a "fixed" pattern. In combat, the practitioner should always use his or her training in a fluid, living way in order to defeat his opponent, not adhere to an artificial form. I hope Your frustration wasn't aimed at me! :D

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

seung ga faat Guest

scarletmantis

Sometimes it takes me too long to type out my post. By the time I'm done the topic is back on track. This is one of the cases. Nothing was directed at you and if it seemed that way blame it on my head to keyboard connection.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

count Guest

Typing problem

Must have had you mantis mandible on the mouse. Anyway, you know mantis is always ready to fight. I did see your point about the waist pivot and the pivot of the foot. I also wanted to point out that many mantis sweeps and leg traps take a circular motion. But I still say triangular stepping as a general rule.

BeiTangLang Guest

Very good to see so many replies..

It is good to see some verbage on technique! I have to agree that most mantis that I have seen as well as the mantis that I practice would either charge in with a bow doing Ou Lau Choy or angle to the side into a cat-stance (med) & bo choi/leadhand punch to the heart/ribs, or v-step fung/block with rear hand punch. I thank you all for your replies.
    Anyone else with techniques to share or discuss??
    -BTL

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."