Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's with all the Lurkers??

This is an abbrevation for "public house" and best equates to what Americans call a bar. However, in my experience, British pubs are generally far more sociable than American bars. While you would go into a pub to have a pleasant lunch with your family or one or two sociable beers with a couple of friends, you'd only go into a bar in order to get blind drunk and start a fight.
    Now, now, that's a nice bit of Yank bashing . Didn't you ever watch "Cheers"? Even Frasier was comfortable there, more or less.

Like you I'd imagine, I've been to more than a couple of English pubs and they vary greatly in the aggro stakes. Geoff Thomson's "Watch my Back" sort of knocks the generalisation on the head as well.

That aside, you're probably right, it's a bit of both.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

yeah i remember cheers. sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name...

english pubs rule! i think my most memorable scary pub experience was this one time i helped a mate out roadie for a metal band playing this pub on a friday night. the bouncer on the door had a nazi german eagle flag thing tattoo on the side of his skinhead, got inside and it went downhill from there... unfortunately nowadays a lot are being turned into trendy wine bars

ive had nothing but a good time in american bars but thats prolly cos ive always had a guide. they lack the atmosphere of a proper english pub tho. hell my local is probably older than the yanks whole country!

Quote Originally Posted by kj
    I realize your actual question hasn't been addressed yet. Still, the more general issue of why people lurk appears to have been handily illustrated.
    KJ,
    The responses have been much more 'lively' than I expected. It's been interesting to watch the thread unfold.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

As a lurker I dont post beacause most posters are only concerned with being right and showing how much they think they know. Therefore it is pointless to post something different unless you want to argue with a mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Fong
    As a lurker I dont post beacause most posters are only concerned with being right and showing how much they think they know. Therefore it is pointless to post something different unless you want to argue with a mule.

I disagree
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

With that sway back he must be a Leung Ting student!

This is true to a large degree, however, even when arguing you can learn something valuable. Sometimes you may have to work through a ton of dirt to get one ounce of gold.

hahaha id much rather be proven wrong or or whatever then you learn something. anyway to be honest my main interest here is finding out and sharing experiences with people who have either done or fought against other styles (mainly mma). personally i think discussion purely about wing chun is a bit pointless. if i have a question about wing chun id just ask my teacher.

But what if your teacher doesnt have all the answers, or what if you could get a new look on things by asking others ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kassandra
    Your comment that you didn't have time to be diplomatic merely adds weight to the main thrust of my original post. Your comments in the “Wing Chun videos” thread are a pathetic attempt to make yourself appear as if you know what you’re talking about - at the expense of martial artists. At least these people are actually walking the walk – not typing the talk.
    The problem here is that the person that started the "Wing Chun Videos" thread asked for constructive criticism. Now quite possibly some re
    respondents were a little overzealous with comments on typos,etc.
    If what you really want is praise, then ask for that. There may be some merit to the old adage that 'you get what you ask for'.
    I can't guarantee the results however.

Peace,

Quote Originally Posted by jesper
    But what if your teacher doesnt have all the answers, or what if you could get a new look on things by asking others ?
    Jesper is correct, especially about getting a new look.......

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich