Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 25th Tournament

HKMantis Guest

Southern Eagle Claw???

Locking Mantis,

OK, I know nothing of Southern Eagle Claw. This sounds really interesting. Just so I know what to look for, what are the differences between Northern and Southern Eagle Claw? Will there be any students there to talk to and do a comparision of technique with, or that might want to do some sticking hands?

I look forward hearing your answers,

Steve D.

Locking Mantis Guest

Ah! I made another boo - boo! Let me clarify...

HK Mantis,

Sorry for the late reply. I just started a new job which does not afford me the opportunity to get on the net. P :( They're watching me like a hawk!

Anyway, regarding Southern Eagle Claw and Southern Praying Mantis, I will clarify. South ern Eagle Claw will NOT be performing in this year's master's demo (I made a boo - boo). Southern Praying Mantis will be one of the styles demonstrated at the master's demo. I remember reading somewhere about the origins of Southern Praying Mantis. Su p posedly, long ago, a shoalin monk witnessed a fight between a mantis and a bird? If I'm wrong guys, please enlighten me with the real story. Any Southern Praying Mantis guys out there?

Southern Eagle Claw does exist. Years ago, my sifu met up with a SEC sifu during a tournament. Recently, this same guy, sent a tape of himself demonstrating SEC techniques from Hawaii (I believe his school is located there). It was interesting, yet a little boring in my opinion. I didn't get to see enough of the de mo type to distinguish the differences of SEC and NEC. I guess the existence of SEC is not too f ar fetched. Ngok Fei, the founder of Eagle Claw, trained his army with eagle claw techniques, so I could assume some of his soldiers branched off and create d their own lineage... just like today's many different variations of the style of Praying Mantis. –ˇ

beiquan Guest
    i am guessing the person demonstrating southern praying mantis will be Sifu Manuel Rodriguez, who also demonstrated at last year's tournament. according to what he told me, southern mantis (chu gar) was originally the family style of the Ming imperial court. when the Qing overthrew the Ming, the Ming courtiers moved to southern china, and they changed the name of the style in order to hide its origin and prevent themselves from being recognized for who they were.

the harmonious fist school will be in attendance, and i believe my sifu will be demonstrating...we're all looking forward to this event!

Locking Mantis Guest

Beiquan

Your explanation of the origin of Southern Praying Mantis is right. I just remembered reading about that too.

I just confirmed with my sifu - Sifu Manuel Rodriguez will be performing in this year's master's demo, performing SPM.

HKMantis Guest
    Locking Mantis,

I appreciate all your work in finding out who is going to be there. I do remember SPM being performed at the masters demo, now that you mentioned his name. He's very powerful and great to watch. We all enjoyed his performance very much. I need to make arrangements for the group so I have another question. Which hotel will everyone be staying at? You know us, we want to be where the action is. LOL!!

Steve