Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Weapons for now

Don't get me wrong - I *love* weapons

I just don't feel the need to carry them around all the time. Hell, I don't even carry a cell phone. I'd walk around nekkid if they'd let me. Ok, just kidding again. It's worthy of note that my desk here is surrounded with easy-2-reach weapons. It's a weird affectation I've had since I used to work as a swordmaker where we used to feign attacks against each other to dispel the ennui. But I don't carry anything unless I'm going in a particularly high risk neighborhood, nor do I keep anything in my car.

Speaking of meth heads, I do psych work for the Haight Ashbury Free Clinic. I've had to restrain meth heads, and all sort of other drug abusers. I've never used any weapons in that, except for soft restraints or a bandana.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Were they high on crystal meth and in an agitated state when you needed to restrain them?

I have observed the exact opposite, they are usually completely out of control and if agitated enough they are nearly unstoppable except if you can lock their joints in such a way that they cannot resist or thrown in a way that cannot be muscled out of (laws of gravity and physics, strength loses every time). I've seen police videos of people high on meth taking bullet after bullet after bullet, they just kept coming until finally someone gets a vitals shot or they bleed out.

I will personally rarely every carry a weapon.

dont need it. if i die i die. im ok with that.

i own a lot of weapons, and were a battle premeditated or i needed revenge id surely grab my blow dart collection and head to war. i would just rather not deal with it everyday and die if i die. (with my cold dead hands around my enemys throat, and his knife in my chest)

I do however keep the most deadly tool i posess on me at all times. My brain. well, i usually have that on me anyhow.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    Quite clearly a good case against the popular 9 mill handgun with its higher muzzle velocity...
    Any chance of you stopping dribbling on trying to turn this into a gun debate? Look at the thread topic. Think. Try and write something relevant.

And BTW you live in one of the only countries in the world where guns are legal to carry (I want to say the only but I don't know). Congratulations. Is that because you live in the free-est country? The most democratic? Or just another country with its own unique socio-historical and political background? Frankly I don't give a ****! You're in the minority. If you want to carry, go ahead... that's your right and preoragative under the laws of your country. I've lived in two countries with no right-to-carry laws so it really isn't relevant to me or the vast majority of the world.

Sorry, perhaps as you haven't been around long enough on this board you don't know the number of gun law arguments on here. Do a search please.

Paradoxbox, good post.

But
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxbox
    So you are saying that, when you don't have a knife or gun, you would rather not get an extra 50% chance of stopping a potential attack?
    ... no I wasn't saying an extra 50%. I was saying I'd had 50% success with that tactic and 100% without it. That does not mean an extra 50%... or does it, my stats aren't as hot as they were in my college years (and they were only lukewarm then! )

Quote Originally Posted by pb
    Reaching into your pocket isn't rocket science, you're not doing speed knife drawing drills here, you're putting your hand in your pocket, which is something a 4 year old has the coordination to do easily enough.
    OK, good point. But in your posts before it sounded like a carefully studied strategy not just a quick action...

But I'm still kind of wondering; if you have a weapon you're gonna wanna pull it ASAP. If you don't have a weapon, you're gonna wanna show the perp you're putting your hand in your pocket... anyonebody who's been round the block will know the difference - so is that not even more dangerous?

Anyway, now I can see where you're coming from a bit but it boils down to this:
    but in the end you're going to fight so you might as well try anything
    ... and for me, the 'anything' I wanna try is not reaching into my pocket but is quickly and simply punching him in the face and running, depending on the case of course.

And by the way, where does that crackhead expect you to put your hands if he wants your money?
    I wondered the same thing...! I didn't stop to ask him and crackhead logic is not my field of expertise, but he said 'Gimme you money' and as I put my hand in my pocket he hit at me.

Look on concealed handgun carry forums, a great deal of CHL holders will move their hands to their sidearms or even brandish them if a situation becomes bad enough. It's often enough to stop a bad situation.
    Fair enough. But what you're talking about is extremely specific to wherever it is you're at, or wherever it is with concealed carry laws. Which excludes the vast majority of the world. People say 'a polite society is an armed society'. Even though I don't necessarily agree, I can of course see the logic: if I thought my prey was carrying I can see why that may stop me: but like I say, not relevant to most of the world (or America? - don't know the state by state gun breakdown and it's not relevant to this argument).

If you try using your hand against someone on meth you're probably going to lose...
    Like I said, I've been forced to try my hand on many druggies and have never (touchwood) been seriously injured. I've never p!ss tested them to find out exactly what they were on, but in my experience, unless you are armed, the best way of dealing with any druggies is to throw them hard on the ground. More chance of breaking something (which even if they don't know about it will often slow them down) and more chance of disorientating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Any chance of you stopping dribbling on trying to turn this into a gun debate? Look at the thread topic. Think. Try and write something relevant.
    Darkfist has been around for a while. He just has guns on the brain.

Come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen a Darkfist post that doesn't mention firearms. Just ignore him.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

... and for me, the 'anything' I wanna try is not reaching into my pocket but is quickly and simply punching him in the face and running, depending on the case of course.
    I think part of the disagreement here is that you're each discussing a different scenerio.

In one the perp is within range, and you're in his range. If you're close enough to hit him, and he's close enough to hit you, then hands in pocket is probably a bad idea. Unless he backs off when you make a move for your pocket but it's shaky.

If you're observent and aware of your surroundings then you shouldn't be that close. Putting your hand in your pocket could indicate the you're about to pull a weapon if the perp gets too close.

If he doesn't buy it and moves within range then get your hand out and fight. Unless you really do have a weapon in your pocket. :-)
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Darkfist is a gun nut?

I like whoever said 45 cal with +P Hydroshocks. :-)

Ok, I'm a bit of a gun nut. So double tap me.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

well...

I carry mace and I keep my keys on a chain with a clip on the other end to use as a chain whip.

Edit: Oh and I used a car key before. It broke in the first 30-60 seconds of striking with it and cut up the inside of my hand since I did not know it was broken right away. It adds sting but not for long and is a double edged sword.
    Last edited by hellhound; 01-05-2006 at 02:43 PM.
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

[QUOTE=Mat] Look at the thread topic. Think. Try and write something relevant.

QUOTE]

No offense but the topic is WEAPONS FOR NOW. NOW NOW NOW
    relevance is established in this country of 290 million people with well over 15,000 gun homicides a year. Reality for many on this board.

I do not feel our scene is superior here in the USA. I do not believe in ethnocentrism (such as many societies cough cough JAPAN). I beleive in realism. We have many individuals that wish others harm. Maybe its because we are so diverse maybe its greed, maybe its our barbaric ways. However i have 2 daughters and a wife and im not going to gamble my credit card fu or "key" fu is superior on the street after a wonderful family meal.

let us send all the criminals over there (to Japan) or better yet let us institute the swift Justice of Communist China on these maniacs and ill put the Sig GSR away forever (unless i hunt for food).
    Sorry if it upsets you that the U S is not ****GENIOUS and full of brotherly love. I happen to like the mixture myself and wouldnt trade it for the world.

So until those that feel superior to me relax and understand that this nation i live in is not about to change and become full of flowers and hippies, this debate will continue.

I was contributing a touch of reality here in the Much Hated and often imitated USA.

BTW, the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of gun toters or possibly millions here makes it difficult to invade as well as of yet No One has brought the fight to us (at least on the Mainland) so the multitude of arms is not always a bad thing. instead of ehtnocentism i waved the patriotic flag for All americans including people who live here that have decendants in your home land.

Please dont let your bias show, I for one would lose my life protecting your family from a perpetrator on my this soil without a second thought, even if you were just here on holiday and even if you hate America.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    Darkfist has been around for a while. He just has guns on the brain.

Come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen a Darkfist post that doesn't mention firearms. Just ignore him.
    LOL, true that.

Sorry, I woke up without any coffee and forgot who Darkfist was for a minute!

No offense but the topic is WEAPONS FOR NOW. NOW NOW NOW
    Fair enough, and like I said I fully agree with your right and desire for carrying firearms... I'm just sick of the tens of right-to-carry debates on these boards, and this thread started out with an interesting DIFFERENT premise.

Quote Originally Posted by SD
    I do not feel our scene is superior here in the USA.
    Didn't say you did.

I do not believe in ethnocentrism (such as many societies cough cough JAPAN).... let us send all the criminals over there (to Japan)... Sorry if it upsets you that the U S is not ****GENIOUS and full of brotherly love.
    Now, what the Jesus H Flying Monkeys' **** has that got to do with anything in this thread or anything I said? I don't believe in ethnocentricism either, and it's one of the few things that drives me nuts about living in Japan, as a Brit thus coming from one of the first multi-ethnic societies. And the rest of your little Japan related tirade makes no ****ing sense either. WTF is with the sending criminals over to Japan statement? In fact, why the **** are you even mentioning Japan?

Oh that's right... it's because for some unknown reason you think I was/am in some way attacking the US and you feel you should respond by attacking Japan for its h0mogeneity (can't argue - it's a fact) and its brotherly love (not sure where this strange allusion to Japan being full of brotherly love comes in... it's not, but would it be a bad thing if it were? Maybe it's just another random strike out against hippies who you don't seem to like much either, as you irrelevantly point out later...! ).

I beleive in realism.
    Glad you told me cos looking at the rest of your completely random belligerent tirade I wouldn't have known otherwise.

We have many individuals that wish others harm. Maybe its because we are so diverse maybe its greed, maybe its our barbaric ways.
    It's not going to be the diversity: UK is also diverse, as are many places... but wait, that's right - you're trying to drag me into the gun debate: I've already agreed with you, I'm not playing!

However i have 2 daughters and a wife and im not going to gamble my credit card fu or "key" fu is superior on the street after a wonderful family meal.
    Holy mother of cod! You wrote something about the subject! And you agreed with me that those 'weapons' are no good...! We ARE on the same thread!

or better yet let us institute the swift Justice of Communist China on these maniacs and ill put the Sig GSR away forever (unless i hunt for food).
    I happen to like the mixture myself and wouldnt trade it for the world.

So until those that feel superior to me relax and understand that this nation i live in is not about to change and become full of flowers and hippies, this debate will continue.

I was contributing a touch of reality here in the Much Hated and often imitated USA.

BTW, the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of gun toters or possibly millions here makes it difficult to invade as well as of yet No One has brought the fight to us (at least on the Mainland) so the multitude of arms is not always a bad thing. instead of ehtnocentism i waved the patriotic flag for All americans including people who live here that have decendants in your home land.

Please dont let your bias show, I for one would lose my life protecting your family from a perpetrator on my this soil without a second thought, even if you were just here on holiday and even if you hate America.
    **** me, I can't really comment on the rest of the post, cos it's so ****ing random it looks like a Monty Python sketch. The comment about my home land I really don't understand, it's just too clever for me ... and I've no idea where you got the idea that I hate the US, or that I was attacking the US, or what bias you were talking about, or why I would be attacking you on holiday, or where the Chinese communists come into it...

are you on drugs?!

You know, I came on this board today to apologise for going over the top (although guess what - I still don't want ANOTHER gun debate!) after Simon's very level post. And I found this... I wanted to let it go, but it really was ****ing hilarious! Congratulations, you've made my day.

And BTW you live in one of the only countries in the world where guns are legal to carry (I want to say the only but I don't know). Congratulations. Is that because you live in the free-est country? The most democratic? Or just another country with its own unique socio-historical and political background? .
    The point i was making is that this line of debate (above) is getting really old.
    Every time an attribute of the USA is trampled upon because of what everyone assumes to be universal here, i am driven ****her to the right. I started out completely anti corporation and greed thus what they call here (Anti-American) but the continuous barrage of hey You Americans think your the greatest so we all hate you has eroded what used to be a passive man.

The whole Aura of the US has caused enemies, and inherent in your rant is hidden anomosity.
    However i apoligize for getting p OOed. It just gets to the point where you get sick of all the anti American rants. my flag (bias)started to show thus my weakness as a human being.

As far as incoherent, my problem is not drugs at all, it is that i write hundreds of pages working on my degree and research, so when i come in here i take off the academic face and write through abstract thought process. This relieves many other things in life.

You are a highly intelligent man and i am sure you recognize the logic path (even though you prefer to drag my incoherent rant out). The blanks are easy to fill in for someone with creative instinct (which through your arguement i know you have).

I am just suprised you didnt blast my typoos and spelling hehehe (i am truly hanicapped when it comes to these areas) you must be slipping.

Oh btw, i still would glady give my life to help you and yours here in my homeland.

your ability to argue well has made me quite fond of your presence here on the board. at least you fight hard instead of take cheap shots (such as a certain expat)

hey say the weapons all came from inside the home.

New details released in family-murder case; Police offer reward
    By From NBC12 News
    WWBT-TV

Disturbing new details are coming to light about the brutal murder of Bryan and Kathryn Harvey and their two daughters. Sources tell NBC12 there was more than one weapon used to take their lives. They say the weapons all came from inside the home.

Some in the neighborhood feared the Harvey family murders were a professional-style hit. Instead, sources say the killers were sloppy in taking the Harvey family’s lives.

While Richmond Police wait for the Medical Examiner to release the cause of death in the Harvey family murders, sources are detailing a gruesome scene.

Earlier this week, police told us all four family members were found bound with tape and that in addition to cuts to their throats, some suffered from trauma and cuts.

Sources now say the killer used a box-cutter style-knife and a hammer in the slayings. And, that the knife, hammer and tape all came from within the Harvey family home.

Richmond Police are using Virginia State Police and FBI criminal profilers to try and figure that out. They are also offering a $6,000 reward for any information on the case.

They’re interested in even the smallest bit of information on what took place on 31st and Chesterfield Sunday. Visitors to the home for a New Year’s Day picnic discovered something was wrong when they smelled smoke coming from the home.

Sources say smoke was found in some of the victims' lungs, meaning they were still breathing when the fire was set.

Police are calling the fire arson, but don't know exactly when the murderers set fire to the home. They hope your tips will help lead them to the murderers.

Detectives say they’ve received an enormous amount of useful information and are following up on more than 50 tips phoned in. The number to call: (804) 514-TIPS.

(c) 2006. Jefferson Pilot Communications Company of Virginia. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10728794/
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128769061393]FAmily of Four Murdered
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The point i was making is that this line of debate (above) is getting really old.
    Every time an attribute of the USA is trampled upon because of what everyone assumes to be universal here, i am driven ****her to the right. I started out completely anti corporation and greed thus what they call here (Anti-American) but the continuous barrage of hey You Americans think your the greatest so we all hate you has eroded what used to be a passive man.

The whole Aura of the US has caused enemies, and inherent in your rant is hidden anomosity.
    However i apoligize for getting p OOed. It just gets to the point where you get sick of all the anti American rants.
    I get it! In that case let me say I meant your country no animosity at all. Yeah, sure, sometimes I have quarrels with the US, who the hell wouldn't?! But then I also have plenty of quarrels with the govt/culture/corp concerns of the UK (and who the hell wouldn't?!), and I love my country very much.

Buuuut, a lot of Americans all over the net mostly since GW was re-elected (not saying that's the cause, but there may well be a correlation) have taken to saying agressively that the US is the freest or even the only democracy... which I must laugh at I'm afraid! But it wasn't meant as a general attack on you or your country, I was just wrong in second guessing where you were coming from as it wasn't clear by the tone in your post, for which I'm sorry.

Oh btw, i still would glady give my life to help you and yours here in my homeland.
    Cheers, I misread that too earlier, sorry... me too likewise I'm sure!

your ability to argue well has made me quite fond of your presence here on the board. at least you fight hard instead of take cheap shots (such as a certain expat)
    Why thank you! You have some interesting points of view.

And like you, and prob Seven with his initial 'WTF?!' comment, I've no idea why the thread starter is asking such questions about what to take with him when a sensible choice of weapon if you are concerned with personal safety, you have some confidence/training in that area, and the local laws agree would be a gun or a knife... rather than a credit card or a wooden spoon or whatever!