Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan/Feb Kung Fu Magazine

Thanks Gene, I just knew that a great magazine like this would not make typos through out the article. I have noticed that you can spell things many different ways but just never seen this one. It would have been nice to hear some of David Charngs SC bashing of the others he has seemed to me to be the quite one in the SC battle.

Thanks

typoz? us?

Thanks for the props, Akronviper, but I'll be the first to admit our mag is riddled with typos. Our standard excuse is that it makes it more authentically Chinese. Of course, the romanization issues like I discussed above don't help, but we've certainly had our share of typos.

Charng wasn't bashing others so much as promoting his style as being 'more complete'. He did have a lot more to say about NHB fights, but I figured that the essence of his message came across in the article as is. With all the promotion of NHB in the media and the other mags, he is one of the first to speak out against it, and for moral reasons. I'd be interested to hear a counter argument, but his accusations have gone unanswered so far.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

you get the Chinese characters in KFM, which is one of the greatest things.
    Instead of trying to romanize things without displaying the tones.
    My teacher is from Taiwan, and in all the printed matter associted with the school there is no Pinyin. it is all "Kung Fu," "Tai-Chi Chuan," "Pa-Kua," etc.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Thanks for noticing that, Banjos_dad

Getting the Chinese characters is always a pain for so many reasons, but we feel it's worth it because it clears up any romanization issues. It's been getting easier to get characters lately with improved technology and more serious researchers; at first, it was a nightmare. It drives Gigi, our publisher, nuts, because that's her department and she is adamant about not making any 'typos' in the Chinese, much more so than the English. I find that funny since we're an English language magazine, but I totally understand and respect where's she's coming from on this. It's actually very challenging to try to go from romanized English back to Chinese characters.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart