Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imitate, Assimilate, Innovate...

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    From 'Prometheus Rising' by R.A. Wilson...

"As Thomas Kuhn showed in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, science itself-- the apotheosis of third-circuit semantic rationality-- is not free of this neophobia. Kuhn demonstrated, at length, that each scientific revolution took one full generation to turn over the old world view. And Kuhn further showed that the older scientists never are converted to the new semantic paradigm. They are, in our terminology, mechanically hooked to their original imprints. The revolution is complete, as Kuhn shows, only when a second generation, not hooked to the old imprint, is able to compare the two models and decides rationally that the newer one really does make more sense.
    But if science, the most self-correcting of all information processing third-circuit functions, has this one-generation time lag, what can be said of politics, religion, economics?"
    Important stuff, Bro.......

It's sad that some people are so resistant to new discoveries that only the passing of their generation allows these insights to be appreciated and integrated.

-L
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

I found it funny that the guy's name is Kuhn...get it, kuen.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    Ghost- I don't speak to dead people [well maybe just this once]
    I do not wish to annoy you Ernie . . . especially since it is now against the law . . .lol!

http://news.com.com/2010-1028-6022491.html?tag=tb

Thanks,

Ghost

Oh, but Ernie is using his real name.

psst., read more of the article next time.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Oh, but Ernie is using his real name.

psst., read more of the article next time.
    Ah . . . Mr. Justin I realize Ernie is using his real name . . . but I am not . . . ghostofwingchun is not my real name . . . lol . . . and I said I didn't want to annoy Ernie . . . since this would be case of anonymous annoyance of Ernie that US government sees as worthy to enact federal law against . . . sorry my little joke fell flat.

Thanks,

Ghost

Wow! Thanks for the link, Ghost. The world grows odder and odder.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofwingchun
    . . . sorry my little joke fell flat.
    It gave me a giggle.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

From 'Prometheus Rising' by R.A. Wilson...

"As Thomas Kuhn showed in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, science itself-- the apotheosis of third-circuit semantic rationality-- is not free of this neophobia. Kuhn demonstrated, at length, that each scientific revolution took one full generation to turn over the old world view. And Kuhn further showed that the older scientists never are converted to the new semantic paradigm. They are, in our terminology, mechanically hooked to their original imprints. The revolution is complete, as Kuhn shows, only when a second generation, not hooked to the old imprint, is able to compare the two models and decides rationally that the newer one really does make more sense.
    But if science, the most self-correcting of all information processing third-circuit functions, has this one-generation time lag, what can be said of politics, religion, economics?"
    Studies since Kuhn have said that he didn't go far enough in attributing social causes to scientific change. It can be argued that science's 'self-correcting' is even less about the 'truth' of scientific knowledge than previously thought. The recent scandal about Korea's cloning scientist makes you wonder just how strong the pressures are on scientists to produce, conform etc.

We've witnessed something of a revolution in WCK since the explosion of schools in the West. One of the nice things about WCK, in comparison to science, is that we don't need a lot of money or equipment to do our 'experiments'. Some of the most interesting WCK can be done out of the limelight. Much of this is not part of the revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekabin
    We've witnessed something of a revolution in WCK since the explosion of schools in the West. One of the nice things about WCK, in comparison to science, is that we don't need a lot of money or equipment to do our 'experiments'. Some of the most interesting WCK can be done out of the limelight. Much of this is not part of the revolution.
    excellent point.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofwingchun
    Ah . . . Mr. Justin I realize Ernie is using his real name . . . but I am not . . . ghostofwingchun is not my real name . . . lol . . . and I said I didn't want to annoy Ernie . . . since this would be case of anonymous annoyance of Ernie that US government sees as worthy to enact federal law against . . . sorry my little joke fell flat.

Thanks,

Ghost
    Ah, I see....

note to self: read post better next time.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Smile Back to the topic

Bill,

It doesn't matter what style. We only use the same 12 notes in the Western Hemisphere. Isn't (free) chi sao improvisation?

Ernie,

What other kinds of "things" (like using the helmet) do you have your group do?

I suppose I should include Alan Orr's group as innovators for breaking new ground in the MMA arena. Or, isn't this what WCK was intended for --fighting against skilled opponents? (Props to them for doing it and being successful )

Who else is innovating? In what areas can we be innovative?

My sifu has his advanced WCK students spar his 7* mantis students with weapons--knives and/or pole against spear/staff/double weapons/3 section staff/etc. in order to gain experience/proficiency against northern (long and short) weapons with our southern ones.

Do others of you train this way? Would you consider this to be innovative?
    - The essence of Kungfu is to accept change...

I suppose I should include Alan Orr's group as innovators for breaking new ground in the MMA arena.
    No disrespect to Alan, his students, or their achievements, but they're not the only ones who have taken WC into the MMA arena successfully.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thumbs up Please explain

That's why I was asking Who (else) is innovating?

I mention Alan Orr not only because of this but also because of his DVD's for incorporating WCK into the MMA fighting arena. Are there others that are exploring this method on DVD as well?

Anerlich, are you referring to Rick Spain as well as others? If so, I would really like to know in what areas they are innovating. Thanks.

I'd like to think I am....IMHO, People like Ernie and many others who aren't on anyones radar (or only on a few people's radars ).

The important thing is not to find the person who is innovating (although that is quite helpful), but to BE the person who is innovating.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
    Bill,

It doesn't matter what style. We only use the same 12 notes in the Western Hemisphere. Isn't (free) chi sao improvisation?
    My point in mentioning all the styles of Jazz, is that the same rigid arguments can be applied to music as well as Wing Chun. As for "free chi sao", it could be improvisation or maybe it's not. It's a training tool that can be used to reinforce rigidity or to allow for free expression. It all depends on you and how you use it.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Ok

how do you use it then?

My point in mentioning all the styles of Jazz, is that the same rigid arguments can be applied to music as well as Wing Chun

I'm not sure I follow...can you explain more please? Thanks.