Thread: Wong Hun Fun lineage

7starmantis Guest

Wong Hun Fun lineage

Hey all, was just wondering who among you are from the Wong Hun Fun lineage? I'm fairly new to the forum here, but its nice to have a place for discussions and exchange.

My Sigong is Ho Yin Chung and my sifu is Henry Chung. I consider myself lucky to have found such excellent instructors and they have fueled my passion for Chinese Kung Fu as a way of life. I have only trained for 4 years and am still very much a beginner, but I know for me that Kung Fu will be a life-long pursuit.

If anyone one else wants to contribute to this thread, I'd like to learn a little somthing about you all.

'Adversity is a mirror that reveals one's true self'

cha kuen Guest
    Hi,

Email me at

pkduong@ucsd.edu

I will talk to you more about mantis. Look forward to hearing from you.

Laughing Buddha Guest

Welcome to the family

I, too, am a student of the style in the Wong Hon Fun lineage and my teacher is Sifu Tony Chuy. I've been a student since 1993. Since your Sigung, Ho Yin Chung, and my Sigung, Brendan Lai were both students of Sitaigung Wong Hon Fun, I guess we could be considered "gung fu cousins" of a sort!

While I know that each teacher has their own teaching methods, my Sifu emphasizes a lot of Sahn Sao after one has learned the beginner forms. However, we don't spar right away but concentrate on empty hand techniques until such a time as we can do them sufficiently well to not forget them in the adrenaline haze of free sparring conditions. How do you guys do things?

I thought I'd also include URLs of the websites of the various Wong Hon Fun lineage instructors that I know of:

Sifu Tony Chuy's site</p>

Sigung Brendan Lai's site</p>

Sisook Steve Cottrell's site</p>

Sisook Jon Funk's site</p>

Once again, welcome.

<

-------------------------------------
    </P>

A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.</P>

*** I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kw oon, so any errors I make are mine alone. ***</P>

mantisk Guest

Welcome to the family.

I am also part of the WHF lineage under Master Tony Chuy since 1995. My sifu is a disciple of Grandmaster Brandan Lai (Dar Cheng) and his sifu was the late grandmaster Wong Hon Funn.

To tell you a little about our school, my sifu emphasizes plenty on forms, drills and correct posture for the Beginner and Basic level students.

At the Intermediate level, we focus alot on two-man forms and Sahn-Sao drills and weapon training.

Can you tell me a little about your training and school?

Sincerely,

Mazi

HKMantis Guest
    7 Star,

I train with Sifu Steve Cottrell in Ft. Worth, Texas. Brenden Lai is also my Sigung. We've rarely had the opportunity to hear from someone at Sifu Henry Chuns' school. Great to have you with us. In our school we train forms (empty hand and weapon) and combat applications from them.

Just a suggestion, something you might want to consider for the future, answer the questions posed by mine and your gung fu cousins. By doing so, we would be able to discuss such things as what makes each of our schools unique. You will also find that there are more us out here than have replied.

Steve D.

bamboo_ leaf Guest
    I train with Sifu Brendan Lai’s class in SF/CA.
    I also trained under Sifu Park Chi Mun in Korea (plumflower mantis)

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

baji-fist Guest

Chung Lao Shi

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have seen Chung Lao Shi perform the drums for Yang Xiao Dong's tournament in Ohio, very good drummer. I also got to see some of your fellow students and you guys definitely got some good materials.

As for myself, my praying mantis comes from Sifu Kurt Wong, and his mantis teacher is GM Su Yu Chang. We teach traditional mantis from 7 star, mei hua, mi men, 8 step, and six harmony. Since GM Su was a student of the late Baji grandmaster, Liu Yun Qiao, I have noticed some elements of Baji in our mantis system. The Baji flavor is very apparent in Bung Bu Quan.

I am glad to see another mantis practitioner to join us in this forum. Welcome to the board!

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.