Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: this stops allfighters, no matter how big

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that's the usual thought w/ the pump but I'm looking to buy another shotgun for the house and my girlfriend has never shot a pump before. I'm debating the panic factor that may freeze her up on the pump action

but seriously, we just had a foot chase through our yard two weeks back.
    an armed robber of a conveniance store two blocks away that the police chased and then lost him in the wooded lot next to us. I actually looked out the door in time to see him run into the woods but sensibly shut and locked the door.

when I saw the cops walking through a minute later w/ drawn guns I told my girl that if they started shooting to get in to the tub...which is metal.

we live in a fairly rough area for Asheville...one of the two most notorious drug areas. If we stay, I think it's going to be necessary to have a gun for home defense.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

When I was a cop in DC I had a Glock 19...loved it.

I worked in the Evidence Control for about a month and saw a whole slew of unbelievable gus in the cage. Street weapon of choice in DC is the Tec-9 saw like hundreds of em...mac-10 were popular too...Even had this WW2 Nazi sniper rifle....was pretty cool.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

****, too many to list....

Quote Originally Posted by joedoe
    Would you use the Desert Eagle as a personal defence weapon? Or is it just a favourite because it is such as big-ass gun? I would have thought that such a high calibre handgun would not be practical in an urban setting, though I know little about guns.
    OK, I own one of these things. It is the one gun people talk most about, but know the least.

Not practical in an urban setting? Cough. That's what they're built for. I suppose maybe you mean concealed? In that case, you may be right. It's far too large and heavy to conceal easily. It weighs over six pounds when loaded. DE's are classified as "entrance guns", meaning they're for the guy that has the drop. It's not a gun that is easily pulled, or quickly aimed. But, they're INCREDIBLY accurate, I can hit beer bottles @80+ yards with it using .44mag rounds. The .50ae rounds are purely for novelty. It may be a big fat bullet, but it does not pack as much juice as the .44, not to mention the fact that it's a horribly overpriced round to buy. Two bucks a shot on average for the good stuff.

As hskwarrior mentioned, it commands attention at the range. Some people leave the range out of frustration that they can't concentrate on thier own shooting when I'm firing it. But, don't let appearances deceive you, there are many other guns with a lot more power than a DE .44 OR .50. Theres .454Casull, the classic .45/70, and S&W500 for example. All much cheaper than a DE as well.

For combat, however, I'll take my glock 20 or 23, or USP Expert.
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 02-01-2006 at 11:37 AM.

kind of...

Actually my shot is not bad. I train using crossbow pistols. They're dirt cheap, like $15-$30 on the net. They are great, silent, no license required, etc... The downside of course is realoading an arrow every time and the fact the you will never be able to conceal it (I'd love to see a bouncers face when he finds something like that on me).

That and guns are not too complicated either. You line up the line at the end of the barrel with the notch towards the back of the barrel. It's allot of practice that allows you to do something like that in an instant during a frantic situation.

Oh welll... I probably babbled on for longer than I should have. Regards!
    Last edited by hellhound; 02-01-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    My dad was an avid hunter, so I grew up around guns. I only keep two with me in Knoxville. A little Jennings 380 in my vehicle and a Remington 12 guage with 00 buck shot in it for the home. I figure if an intruder doesn't run when they hear the "click-click" of the pump, then they mean business. That would make my blood run cold if I heard that sound and I was some place I shouldn't be.

Yeah the (CLICK, CLACK) of a 9mm can be heard over the music, the people talking and the idots fighting at any hood party. I know you werent talking about a 9mm but that just reminds me.

party going on 2 people arguing then...... (CLICK, CLACK)
    go the women
    go the people fighting

but to many pull out a firearm without the intention of using it, thats alot more dangerous than using it if you ask me.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

HK USP 40

SIG P245 - .45

Both awesome guns! Very reliable and accurate though the SIG is a bit easier to conceal

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by 45degree fist
    but to many pull out a firearm without the intention of using it, thats alot more dangerous than using it if you ask me.
    It's also a crime. You can't brandish a firearm unless you have the same reasonable degree of fear of immenient bodily harm that you would need to justify using one. Plus, from a common sense perspective, if you pull a gun without the intent of using it, then how do I know that? I'm justified in shooting you for simply threatening me with a gun. Never a good idea. Keep it under wraps unless you have to use it.

If I'm in my house and I think someone's breaking in, I'm pulling out the shotgun and pumping the action so anyone could hear it. I have the intent to use it, but I hope the sound scares them away so I don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    HK usp definately out of my range, but it sure is a sweet weapon. side rails, threaded barrel, all come stock-sweet.
    Hellhound, you seem to know something about combat shooting. Which stance do you prefer,weaver, quick drop, or isoclese?

Dang, you guys are mentioning the crappy guns too?

Ok, guess I have to admit I have them too. Jennings .25 and a Lorcin .380.

(hangs head in shame)
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

well being in england, we are not as 'gun-ho' as you americans.

The closest thing I have had to a gun is a homemade 40cal blowpipe that I used to shoot (powerful and I had a wicked shot)

As far as guns go, if given the opportunity to have any firearm then I would choose one of the following:

Colt M4 or XM177 or Colt Commando
    HK MP5 PDW or MP5 SD6
    Lee Enfield
    HK G3 36c

craig

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Man, you guys are gettin me hungry again. I'm gonna have to take my New Year's money down to Bloodbath and Beyond, and buy me another heater!
    probably the Ruger MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    Dang, you guys are mentioning the crappy guns too?

Ok, guess I have to admit I have them too. Jennings .25 and a Lorcin .380.

(hangs head in shame)
    My guns are hand-me-downs. I've never spent a dime on a firearm. What's your excuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    HK usp definately out of my range, but it sure is a sweet weapon. side rails, threaded barrel, all come stock-sweet.
    Hellhound, you seem to know something about combat shooting. Which stance do you prefer,weaver, quick drop, or isoclese?

You could get a nice CZ, good gun at a decent price.

I know you asked Hellhound but for the record I prefer the weaver

Peace

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    If I'm in my house and I think someone's breaking in, I'm pulling out the shotgun and pumping the action so anyone could hear it. I have the intent to use it, but I hope the sound scares them away so I don't have to.
    IF they are still outside and have not gained entry then maybe that's a good tactic.

If I've detected them in the house then I'm gonna be as quiet as I can be so I get first action whether it be to shoot them or challenge them.

If they're inside and you panic them and they have a gun too then you have a gunfight inside your house with your loved ones around you. You can load small pellets w/ the shotgun and minimize penetration through the walls and still get stopping power at room sized distances.

Shotguns w/ modified (I think) choke spread at 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch per yard. So, at even a big sized room of 20-25 feet you are talking about having most of the shot...and power...hitting within 12-15 inches or so. This also means that you still have to aim a shotgun. Just a 1/4 inch deflection of the end of the barrel of your targets centerline at 20' range means the center of your spread is 5" off center when it reaches target. that can mean just winging him and not stopping them

But, if they have a pistol then you've definitely got penetration through the walls with every missed shot...and possibly people in other rooms.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Rauger stainless steel 38 special revolver. Simple, easy to clean and will never jam.

I almost never use the sights as most firefights on the street happen quickly and at a range of about 10 feet. I just draw, point and blast away.
    Always learning