Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Southern Appalachian Chinese Martial Arts Tournament

From the general props everyone is giving you that was there JP, I would like to add mine.

Way to represent.

So, how were the forms received, if I may ask?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    From the general props everyone is giving you that was there JP, I would like to add mine.

Way to represent.

So, how were the forms received, if I may ask?
    I also took third in advanced weapons with the Kwan Dao. The Pong Lai people had amazing forms and the PL guy who took first (one of yu shan's students) did one of the best spear forms I've ever seen. Really nice.

I could have done better on Five Animal form. I started strong but had a couple of bobbles in the middle and I started to wilt at the end. I've got a lot of work to do on that form, but I'll keep plugging away and maybe one day I'll make it look like it should. I have to say that even if I nailed the form it would have been a tough division. The PL people were well represented.

I was happy and I thought our forms were received well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Congrats on the kwan dao...I'd forgotten about that...there's no telling what I've forgotten about the day

GT, I think JP will agree that there weren't any politics involved in the event.

I was glad to see that JP had a group of supporters in the crowd and I hope to be talking with Master Mullins about the inclusion of more SD folks in future events and will welcome them as judges as well to remove any possibility of doubt.

I don't give a real rats ass about how well someone performs a set. Sure, it can show a lot about someones speed, balance and agility but what matters to me is if they can fight. JP showed that he could and as a representative of SD, Master Mullins should be very proud of him.

Any future event I am a part of will have a definite focus on sparring/fighting so all will be welcome to prove their mettle.

btw, the spear form was done by Metal Mantis.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    GT, I think JP will agree that there weren't any politics involved in the event.

btw, the spear form was done by Metal Mantis.
    Agrred. There was no doubt that the judges were impartial and fair.

Congrat Metal Mantis. I've got nothing but respect for your form! That goes for Lu Bu and Bung Bo who also placed in empty-hand.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Thank you

I just wanted to thank Oso for his hard work and continuing support. This was a lot of fun for me, as I have never been in any sort of competition for MA. Thank you for the chance to show my Shifu Yu Shan's hard work and dedication.
    On that note as well, I want to thank my Shifu, Yu Shan. Thank you for your continual support, no matter how I mess things up. You have done a lot for me in MA and in life, for all I am very greatful.
    Also, thank you to Uncle Kevin for his attendance and seminar. It is always a pleasure to learn from you. I look forward to more.
    Thank you JP for your kind words on my spear form. You fought some hella fights. A credit to you and your style.

thank you thank you thank you

~ Be well.....
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds" AE....

Now if we can just drag you guys to Taiji Legacy...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yeah, I'd love to go. It seems like every year it interfers with my vacation plans.

MM: you looked good bro.

MK, isn't that in Texas or someplace like that?

I dunno...anything I can't reach in a single day's travel will have to wait till I sell out and start making big bucks off of teaching kids to scream and yell at the top of their lungs.

I think we are going to do our level best to get to Wong's in DC this summer.

I want to go to Seaksan's event in May but already have one event slated for that month.

we'll see...we've been hitting the tourney's a lot the last 9 months and I don't like the time it takes away from regular training...maybe in the future when my school is older it won't take as much prep but since almost all my competitors but Ming Yue are between 9-18 months of total training I just don't have the depth to make a tournament happen w/o plenty of specific practice before hand.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I think MK was looking for a SD presence at Taiji Legacy. He's brought that up before.

JP congrats. You're the SD hero now. No pressure there guy.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

I want to take a moment to praise all of my students who have helped me keep my school and my sanity together these last 3 months.

Becky for her Type A++++ personality that organized the entire thing. I could not have done this w/o her. She kept me focused and always had the next thing I needed to do ready for me to do.

Michael, my oldest teen student and oldest student competing. He’s been with me almost four years, learned 2 of the forms from my old system and took the change to Pong Lai in stride at the age of 13 by saying “this mantis stuff is cool!.”

I will vent a bit to say that I feel he was robbed of a win because the judges ended up counting some weak ass back hand strikes that landed w/ out any power or focus. Kinda sad when judges (not you Sifu Darkfist) fall into a ‘shoulda, woulda, coulda’ mindset. This will be the last time I put anyone in light contact. Michael had complete ring control the entire match continuously pushing the other fighter out of the ring every attack run.

Ming Yue for competing with Beng Bu against her older brothers and sisters, some of which are half her age and more than twice her experience with the same form. And also for her usual excellence in making whatever I do look pro. She did the website, the final on the packet and the program for the day.

Fletcher, my youngest at 12, for fighting some good matches and showing improvement in the skills we’ve been working on. He had a tough January, as he was the lead male in his school’s play that took place the Friday evening before the tourney. He’s been doing class 3 times a week after play practice the entire month.

Lori for coming back after a two month break to tend to her husband and the leg he broke in 5 places, deciding to compete with staff 4 weeks before the tourney, training her butt off and then jumping in at the last minute as a substitute for the two person staff with Fletcher.

Adam, (Lori’s husband) for being an excellent score and timekeeper and hanging tough in Kevin’s seminar even though I know his leg was killing him.

Ricky: for some awesome fighting in the teen bracket. He got the throw that injured the fighter from Kung Fu USA and was very shaken up over the fact that he hurt somebody. I’m very proud of him for his sportsmanship when Ethan was able to get up and walk off the mat.

Becky and Sylvia for continuing to improve on their two person. They won with it last November but were outdone by their older brothers from Yu Shan’s school.

Sylvia: for her fighting spirit and willingness to step in the ring. The only other woman fighting was one of Yu Shan’s so we had some Pong Lai vs. Pong Lai action. They were showcased in the vid clip the news team
    took.

Valerie. Valerie broke her hand on my arm last October while sparring. Ended up having to get it pinned and just came back the first of Jan. She picked up where she left off and polished off the form she had been working on for the Nov event we went to and went on to take 1st place in the beginner adult forms. She didn’t believe me when I told her she would definitely medal no matter who was out there. I hope the smile on Kevin’s face when she completed her set was an indication of how well she performed.

I had several students not competing that lent a hand in set up and general gophering for the event. I could not have done it with out them constantly in the background and being available to load/unload equipment and move tables and chairs.

Texas is a bit for me to go, but there's schools all over Texas. I guess its up to the individuals there to throw their hat in the ring.

Ou Ji: No pressure now. I was happy in that I accomplished what I wanted to do. I represented myself and my teachers as well as I could, had some great fights and experience, and made some friends. Not a bad weekend.

And I'll tell you this: the mantis people know how to fight. I'm looking forward to crossing hands again because you know it will be fast and furious.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 02-06-2006 at 12:12 PM.

tournament

Great weekend up in Ashville. The tournament was nice, good competition and as everyone has mentioned some good fighting.
    Some praise for all the Pong Lai students from Yu shan and Matt's school, great job in your forms and fights. Extra praise for Yu's student Frank for all his fights, he is an inspiration for us guys over 40

Some good fights from JP also.

Nice to see everyone from the Pong lai family, had a good time as usual with everyone, good pizza and beer and good conversation with everyone(sifu darkfist was with us also).

Thanks to Matt and his students for being great hosts, my only request is next time turn the heat up in ashville before i get there!!!!!

For those who missed the seminar, you missed some great training.
    Thanks a million to Kevin for going on such a short notice and for all his knowledge he passed to us over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    I think MK was looking for a SD presence at Taiji Legacy. He's brought that up before.
    Sure, but Ming Yue can come, too.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

18elders, thanks for taking the time away from the wife and kid to visit with us.
    I hope your arms are as sore as mine...

a warning to everyone who looks at a picture of Shifu Kevin and thinks he looks soft. I can guarantee you that he is anything but that when he hits.

wow

You guys know how to organize a tourney.
    i will say Smoothness is your best attribute.
    Many of the people in Pong Lai are extremely talented, That fighter that you brought up i thought did very well, i would let him go full contact all the way he was very aggressive. Oso has a great program and a great lineage along with a great family of martial arts to augment the state of North Carolina. Yu Shan and Sifu Brazier were all wonderful people with incredible dedication to the love of my life (martial arts). My students expressed a deep commitment to return and help support all of CACMA as well as the individuals present.
    The young Lady who did Bung Bu Opposite Brittany in Advanced has Incredible talent along with all the competitors i had the chance to watch (when not judging) you all train hard and obviously the right way.
    Thanks for the Southern Hospitality
    James