Thread: New Chen Taiji Video Clips

Thanky you for the clips. However, they are not very realistic. An average boxer or grappler would beat everybody in a sec. or two. No resistance and all do not have very good balance skills. You should all work on your balance and insert some
    resistance. Otherwise you are getting into the bad habit that everybody is so
    easily thrown. Some of the techniques, especially clip no. 2 are not that good.

- very amateurish
    - nice to have very cooperative students
    - not very tai chi-like, too much force against force

Thanks for looking. Like most areas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However critique being everyones right is most useful when the context of the situation is understood.
    These are not nor were they meant to be demonstrations of a fight, or competitive encounter. They are simply explorations of faster speed entries to throws that attempt to use some methods developed from form and drill training.

The opponent (puncher) is cooperative bascially, though in some cases which some probably cannot see, there is an attempt to strike a second time that is actually nullified by the action. In terms of being vulnerable to a knee strike, in some cases that may be the case, however in the clip #3 that was mentioned you have to understand where the opponent's weight is.

If the weight is on the front leg, then the front knee cannot be lifted. By the time the weight is on the rear leg, it has been forced there and the structure of the lower back has been broken meaning the opponent is leaning back. One also cannot knee from this position. We dont all have the same experience so we dont all understand things the same way. I am sure there is someone out there who could find a way to lift a knee either way. There are plenty of fighters better than I, yet for those who are looking to see or understand how some of the taijiquan methods can be employed, they might notice some of them here.

Some of you simply dont like the context (something other than a competitive fight) and that is of course up to your discretion, so thanks anyways for looking and good luck with your own training.

M

Mo Ling: Thanks for looking.

me: You are welcome :-) I try to give honest critique and applaud you
    for your effort to show what you do.

Mo Ling: Like most areas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However critique being everyones right is most useful when the context of the situation is understood.

Me: I think I do understand the situation and that it is not a fight but things
    like balance and good techniques are something that should be strived
    for every time, not only when there is a fight. You fight how you train.