Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: More power

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Josh,

reasonable exercise but I don't see how that's an improvement on say, somebody pushing and pulling and slapping your arms and torso, and standing on and stamping and sweeping your legs while you do at least the first part of SLT, which was one element of how I was taught. That will help you develop a strong root, so that it's not just strong in one direction (ie when punching) but for issuance of a powerful short-range strike in any direction at any time from any point of your body, eg elbow, knee, head, shoulder etc.

When they reach chum kiu level (and before in drills and chi sao) they should be working on taking control of the pushes etc, going with the flow to deliver a strike... but for basic punching power, IF you have been taught SLT correctly you have the basics with which to work the wall bag, the heavy bag, etc etc to develop your penetrative punch.

When training solo before a heavy bag session, I always do SLT, and then work some of the techs/energies from SLT into my heavy bag routine. It's a nice progression.

Nor do I think the exercise you described is necessarily an improvement on hitting a wall bag. In fact, you're developing muscles against slow pushes as opposed to impact. Now I'm no expert, but muscle specificity being what it is, wouldn't that be slow twitch as opposed to fast twitch? And thus the whole linkage, the whole resistance from your fist through to you foot would be working on slow muscle mechanics...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing to here:
    kool
    well i c it as an improvement because its a build up of power that is released explosively e.g a flowing river hits a lock and builds up more and water then the lock is realeased there is going to be a burst of water. but if the water keeps hitting it it wont develop that much needed power. wen i say "u can do to much sui lim tau and you cant" i meen that after to much its pointless, yet u cant do to much b coz theres no limit to how long you can take.

I see.

So how long does this stored energy last before you use it?

And how is that different to the first section of SLT? Except that it gives you resistance, and then as I said earlier, I don't see how that particular slow resistance will help your punching power.

See, I think slowly pushing on a wall is as limited if not more so than SLT, and possibly less to do with developing power in a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I see.

So how long does this stored energy last before you use it?

And how is that different to the first section of SLT? Except that it gives you resistance, and then as I said earlier, I don't see how that particular slow resistance will help your punching power.

See, I think slowly pushing on a wall is as limited if not more so than SLT, and possibly less to do with developing power in a punch.
    well i suppose the only reply i can give to this is that this way of training works for me, it makes my strikes more pwerful, i think this is due to the strenghting of my back , because that is what my training focuses on. dont forget diffferent types of training suit different types of people. and the stored energy is ther for whenever i want, obviously i hav to train on a regular basis.

Mental focus

With power attitude is 90 per cent of the equation, technique only 10. You have to focus your mind. Its about sheer aggression and the will to want to damage your opponent. You have to visualise you opponent as an object of hate – now take your fist and drive into that karateka’s chest again and again and again. Like Bruce Lee in fist of fury. Hate him then him. You and he will see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunstudent
    With power attitude is 90 per cent of the equation, technique only 10...
    No, it isn't.

You can't put a percentage on something like that but if you did it'd be nothing like that high!

If you hit me like a dishrag, you can hate me all you want and you'll still be hitting me like a dishrag.

Dishrags don’t punch back so I don’t understand your point.

This ratio is correct – of course it requires practice to generate this level of hate. You should think about a moment in your life that makes you really angry – like having your dinner money stolen as a child – and shouting, etc. can compliment your attack.

Even if your attacks do not destroy your opponent the look of sheer hate on your face will be enough to scare most opponents into submission.

You're really making me laugh now!

Go on, show me an expression of hate that's going to scare me into submission! Is it like this

Thanks for the advice Tansaujosh. To the one who said that I'm obviously a newbe at this, you are wrong. I've been training for quite a time now(no need to explain). I asked a simple question simply because in my kwoon there aren't guys 6ft and a half tall and 200 or so pounds. We are all skinny. My techniques are just fine if you read carefully, as I can see that you haven't I said that I could land my strikes just fine, the thing is that my strikes won't do much if any damage to that giant bear. Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power. The one who brought the balance thing with good intention, I appreciate it anyways, and I will take the advice for a different ocation. I don't understand how many wingchunners can't be just straight to the point (I think that's familiar to wing chun guys) and there is always someone who has to be the philosopher, who just goes in circles, babbling to let people know "how much he knows" BLAH BLAH BLAh. Thanks to guys like tansaujosh and others who just gave a direct, and well intentioned answer. Keep 'em coming. No hard feelings!

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy
    Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power.
    Unfortunately, you have missed the point entirely. I don't think you understand what is meant by taking the balance. You asked people to be "straight to the point" and when they are you dismiss it. Sure, there's some Blah, blah, blah stuff in here, but eat the chicken and spit out the bones.

'nuf said.
    Last edited by Matrix; 02-18-2006 at 01:17 PM.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Oh I see. I can tell you're not a newbie.

Because you were talking about putting a heavy bag on wheels so you can move it with your punching.

Or because you're asking people techniques to unbalance people, and then saying you can't do this in sparring with strikes.

I've been as straight as I can. You just don't understand the answers. Sometimes I need to go on for a bit to explain things in a 'straight' manner. But from now on this: ' ' will probably be the longest answer you'll get.

Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power
    Umm, while there's a spectrum of ways to evolve force, IMO, a decent hit should both disrupt the other person's position and be sharp enough to give them a headache or make them queasy if it lands solidly- should have both short and long power, as it were.

And if anyone thinks 6' and 200lbs is big. . . I have two words for you - Bob Sapp.

Andrew

You have to visualise you opponent as an object of hate – now take your fist and drive into that karateka’s chest again and again and again. Like Bruce Lee in fist of fury. Hate him then him. You and he will see the difference.
    I wnet to the wedding of a 4 time Australian Kyokushin champion last weekend. He married one of my sidais. Five WC/BJJ people sat at a table full of kareteka and we all got on famously. Karateka are usually disciplined people who don't pick fights. What are you talking about?

Who wants to live life in this mental state?

I think you have the 90/10 ratio backwards.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

the look of sheer hate on your face will be enough to scare most opponents into submission.
    What? By making them die laughing?

Who's telling you this rubbish?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

It's funny how I got ya'll off balance so easily!!! LOL "Wing Chunners" A couple of words and you lost your center!. Who's the newbe now? LOL
    Last edited by r4cy; 02-18-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy
    It's funny how I got ya'll off balance so easily!!!
    Like I said, You obviously don't understand what is meant by taking balance.
    You also don't seem to have a clear grasp of center.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program............................
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'