Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explain Qi gong to me please !

Explain Qi gong to me please !

Could someone please explain what Qi gong is ?

Greetings..

Qi = energy .. Gong = work.. simply, it is energy work.. less simply, there are numerous systems that rely on various disciplines to cultivate and manipulate the energies that animate the otherwise inert mass of elements and compounds we call a body.. Some QiGong systems have profound results, others will only pick your pockets.. it is a difficult task to find the real QiGong teachers, and more difficult to overcome social programming in order to really benefit from the lessons..

Good luck, and Be Well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

It's been described to me as a energy gathering meditation. It's not a matial art.

Like Taichi Bob Says......qigong..............energywork..no need to elaborate!
    With respect to Firestorm's comment though it is not a martial art, there are systems that have martial applications; such as in the case of the Hard Qigong Systems.
    I also agree that it is difficult to locate a teacher that is a reliable source.

Good luck

The concept of Qi

In my opinion, Qi can be considered as life energy. There are the one and only congenital Qi and acquired Qi. The one and only congenital Qi is also called original Qi, it is the manifestation of the Dao when it runs from Wuji to Taiji. It is an absolute existence without an opposite side, so we call it 'one and only'. It is the ultimate source of all lives. The one and only congenital comes before God, and since it is an absolute existence, it is impossible to explore it by external technology. The acquired Qi come from food, water, atmosphere, heaven, sun, moon and stars…, it can be divided into Yin Qi and Yang Qi, the feeling of Yin Qi is cool, and the feeling of yang Qi is warm. The one and only congenital Qi and acquired Qi are both vital for one’s life, and only when you experience them, you will really know them.
    Last edited by Gongfu; 04-21-2006 at 05:27 AM.

soft or hard, both

can qigong be hard, soft or both?

what is gigong? sure, energy work, but normal breathing energy - or making energy work for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl9D6kK1JKw&search=kung

probably sean this or something similar before

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlygrime
    Could someone please explain what Qi gong is ?
    Chi Kung is an unbrella term for energetic development. This energetic development can be seen and practice soft or hard, martial, medical, and spiritual. Depending on your goals and intent chi gung can develop that "energy". But please use common sense and let your own experience be your own proof.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by WOW
    can qigong be hard, soft or both?

what is gigong? sure, energy work, but normal breathing energy - or making energy work for you?
    It can be hard or soft, and in some cases both, but not at the same time.

It is used to generate and store internal energy, that elusive substance that western science still can't find, but for which the chinese seem to have found plenty of evidence.

soft styles are relaxed and have slow rhythmic breathing where one concentrates on feeling the flow of energy in the body.

hard styles tend to use body tension and a powerful breathing technique where the air is forced out slowly making a "hissing" sound.

An example of a qigong that uses both is the Hua Tuo 5 animal qigong. there are three sets in it, the first is active and aerobic, the second is a hard chi set, and the third a soft chi set.

In truth hard and soft are relative to the context within which they are measured. A phenomenon is hard in relation to a phenomenon that is softer, but soft in relation to a phenomenon which is harder.

All things (phenomena) occur within a context and it is the context that determines a phenomenon’s Yin or Yang qualities! Hard/Soft, Yin/Yang describes a relationship between two or more phenomena. It is this relationship that defines the quality of the phenomena. As an example, our sun may be considered Yang to all other objects within our solar system; however it is Yin in relation to brighter stars. So while light is frequently considered a Yang quality, it may also be considered a Yin quality when considered within a different context. However, the quality “brighter” is always Yang to the quality “dimmer”, as “dimmer” is always Yin to the quality “brighter”. So while qualities (brighter/dimmer, hotter/cooler, etc.) may be designated Yin or Yang in an absolute sense, phenomena are not, they are Yin or Yang according to a specific context!

Therefore, all phenomena are both hard and soft, both Yin and Yang, at the same time! How the phenomena are considered is determined by the context within which it is related. It is context which varies, not the Yin/Yang qualities of a phenomena!

interesting...

the relativity of martial arts.

of course the same is true of all opposites, large-small, dark-light, sharp-dull.
    all things fall somewhere within a spectrum of possibility, and without something else to compare there can be no description.

That was interesting!! I didnt post the message twice!! that was weird !!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 03-28-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Smile Qi...

I found the following quotes interesting but I think there are some conceptual problems with certian wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Gongfu
    In my opinion, Qi can be considered as life energy. There are the one and only congenital Qi and acquired Qi.
    This is quite problematic already. If Qi equals life energy, then the following statement would be equally true:

There are One and only congenital life energy and acquired life energy.

The one and only congenital Qi is also called original Qi, it is the manifestation of the Dao when it runs from Wuji to Taiji.
    This should also be true according to the above statement:

The one and only congenital life energy is also called original life energy, it is the manifestation of the Dao when it runs from Wuji to Taiji.

so obviously, this One and only congenital life energy (can this energy be E=M*Csquare?) is not Dao but rather a function of Dao as qualified by the statement. Would this not mean that it is not independent of Dao thus it can not be "absolute existance" (see following statement) especially when it come "into" Taiji? Also is Dao equals Wuji? If so, is it not relative to Taiji? In that case, it would appear that Dao is not absolute existance either. So....

It is an absolute existence without an opposite side, so we call it 'one and only'. It is the ultimate source of all lives.
    This is pretty much montheistic contention. Nothing wrong with that per se but...

The one and only congenital comes before God, and since it is an absolute existence, it is impossible to explore it by external technology.
    If the One and Only congenital (good thing that you leave out life energy here) comes before God, then there should be a dimension of time to begin with. It also implies God is not beyond the dimension of time and "He" is a dependent of this OOC; thus, this OOC-God entity is quantifierable and measurable by external technology. This is in no way consistent with the montheistic view. So again there is no absolute existance exist in this statement. Further, even if we except absolute existance (one and only congenital life energy) exist, there is no way that we can "work" on "IT" for "IT" DOES NOT depend on us to work "with" IT. So given all these, this Life Energy work (Qigong) as an exercise is pretty pointless is it not?

The acquired Qi come from food, water, atmosphere, heaven, sun, moon and stars…, it can be divided into Yin Qi and Yang Qi, the feeling of Yin Qi is cool, and the feeling of yang Qi is warm. The one and only congenital Qi and acquired Qi are both vital for one’s life, and only when you experience them, you will really know them.
    Given what was discussed above, is this relevent? What's the meaning of one's life in the context of "absolute exsitance". What does life mean? BTW, congenital , while an interesting choice of word, implies defects and such inheritly uncorrectable flaws. It sounds almost like the concept of "original sin".

Just some thoughts and I am not objecting the ideas that were put forth by Gongfu but there are some flaws to the statements though.

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 03-28-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hi Mantis108,

I may be putting words into Gongfu’s mouth here, but….

I am thinking the problem is more with the manner in which Gongfu is expressing himself. He seems to have the general idea, but has communicated in a rather awkward manner.

Congenital means present at birth and/or acquired during fetal development and does not necessarily imply a defect. I understand the confusion, the word is most commonly encountered when we refer to a “congenital defect”, but the two words are not inextricably entwined! Any quality, good or bad, present at birth may be considered congential!

The gist of this theory is that there are two forms of chi found within a human. One is congenital; it occurs as a consequence of being alive and is acquired as one develops within the womb. It may have some genetic component, but also probably involves the quality of fetal development as a consequence of proper maternal nutrition and the over all health and well being of the mother. Congenital chi, according to this theory, is the inherent vitality a person is born with. It is a fixed quantity and varies somewhat from individual to individual. You cannot replenish it, but you may store it and ration out its use.

The second type of chi directly affecting human health or vitality is acquired through air, food and the overall living conditions affecting ones health such as exercise, environmental stressors, injuries and illness. Some consider moonlight, sunlight and magnetic fields as contributing as well.

So, we are born with congenital chi. It is a fixed amount that cannot be added too, but may be expended and/or preserved, when it is exhausted we die. Environmental chi maybe be increased and preserved through proper diet, living environment and various exercises (physical, breathing and mental). Wholesome food, clean air and water, proper exercise without overdoing it, breathing exercises and mental exercises would all assist in increasing this environmentally acquired chi.

Ones over all chi health is affected by the combination and quality of these two aspects of chi within the human body and the impediments to their free flow.
    _____

I think Tao as being equivalent to a monotheistic view would depend upon how one chooses to define monotheism. It seems that monotheism assumes a deity with a defined personality; Tao would not fall under this rubric. Since it is beyond definition it cannot have a defined personality, therefore it would be beyond, above, supporting or perhaps suffuse a defined Deity.

Our definitions of “GOD” are a projection of our mind "onto" GOD/TAO! This is by natural consequence a limited definition since GOD/TAO, in an absolute sense, is beyond our limited ability to comprehend. The Hebrews, Christians and Moslems define GOD with a specific defined personality. This implies limitation. Limitation does not belong to GOD/TAO, but to our own ability to conceive and communicate that which is inconceivable and incommunicable. As such, the terms we use to describe the phenomena we call GOD or Tao are limited by language and our ability to use that language to express inexpressible phenomena.

So OOC coming before GOD may actually represent the personality we project onto OOC for our own benefit and not describe the actual condition or relationship of GOD to OOC.

Think of it this way, to my wife I am a husband, to my child I am a Father, to the people at work I am either an employee or a supervisor, each circumstance displays a different aspect of my personality or being, but none of these is a complete or comprehensive reflection of my total personality or being. The limitations each experiences are a consequence of the context in which I am experienced by the specific individuals and also by their ability to perceive, that is their own ability to perceive clearly without projecting their own personality conditions onto me, a circumstance which is impossible to achieve! Therefore, I am perceived incompletely by all, but more accurately by some than others. My personality as experienced by others (and myself) is an artificial construct created by the qualities I display to others and their own interpretation of those qualities as they interact with their own personal qualities. The definition of my personality is never an accurate representation of it!

Therefore, when attempting to discuss the qualities of GOD/TAO we will by natural consequence be bound by our own personal limitations, the personal limitations of others and our abiliity to communicate effectively!

_____

The reference to “life” I am sure refers to physical life as opposed to absolute existence. Absolute existence would then be whatever existence we may experience that transcends the limitations of time, space and our physical bodies!

Greetings..

While i agree that Yin/Yang characteristics are relative to the local situation, i also tend to believe there is fundamental division in the grand scheme of things.. that there is a sort of cosmic standard, good for general guidance but subject to local perceptions of situational relationships.. As the Taiji symbol suggests, within Yin and Yang there is always an element of, or potential for, its opposite..

Mantis108: Your point is well taken and a great subject for philosophical ponderings, but.. Life is like sailing, we depart on a ship and, for the duration of the journey, we work from the provisions we brought along.. we can ponder the destinations, the weather, the other ships we see, but.. it is our lot to sail our own ship.. after such ponderings we could conceive a prediction of pointless effort in our original plan, then resign ourselves to doom and defeat.. or, we can live each moment as fully and completely as our provisions permit.. people are much too quick to predict their own futures, casting their fate without the notion of spontaneous change or the intervention of unforseen potential..

With QiGong, it is similar.. we don't know all there is to know.. our minds can't conceive the limitlessness and potential of our own existences, so.. in the confines of our mental ponderings we find doubt and question our own journey.. when, in fact, here we are.. present in the physical realm, and working with the tools we have.. QiGong is a tool, and like any tool it is dependent on the skill of the user.. I once bought a nice set of wood-carving tools, and after a few weeks of half-hearted effort determined i couldn't carve any recognizable shape from wood, blamed the tools and set them aside.. later, i read up on techniques, went to a local class for wood working and found that the tools worked quite well with a little knowledge and training.. (note: i still can't carve that well, but i respect the tools' potential).. we can contrive if/then scenarios, determine directions based on our limited conceptual capabilities, and.. miss the spontaneous potential that fills each experience..

In my own curious ways i tend to believe that the rich history of QiGong is not futile in its application as a tool for enhancing this physical existence.. I am given this existence to express the nature of my spirit in a temporary physical situation.. it is the only game in town, we're in it for the duration, whatever that may be.. i can't discount this current experience in favor of some eternal prediction, i ponder the possibilities of eternity.. but, embrace the now fully, completely and with gusto.. i feel the energies flowing through me, animating me, shaping me.. i feel the effects of QiGong on those energies and i am satisfied that there is benefit to my immediate situation.. beyond that, there is only potential and ponderings of the potential.. while i am inclined to indulge in philosophical musings, i do not let those musings contradict what i "know"..

Be well

PS: Yeah, i know, it confuses me, too...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"