Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparring and waivers.

Sparring and waivers.

Sparring and waivers.

Just a quick question, do any of the martial arts schools you attend or teach with in have waivers for sparring?

P

Quote Originally Posted by packard
    Sparring and waivers.

Just a quick question, do any of the martial arts schools you attend or teach with in have waivers for sparring?

P
    Do you know any that dont??!!?!?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Every school I've ever gone to made us sign wavers. They'd be crazy not to.

my school does not have a waiver - but we are based in the UK. I assume that makes a difference?

P

UK: It possibly might make a difference, but since most American law is based, somewhat, in English common-law, then I would assume that the doctrine of "assumption of the risk" is alive and well in the UK. Assumption of the risk is the driving force behind liability waivers.

You can defend a lawsuit based upon Assumption of the Risk even without a waiver, but the waiver is just clear evidence that they knew or should have known the risks of a particular activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

You sign a 6 page waiver/questionare/release before stepping foot onto my gym floor to warm up.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    You sign a 6 page waiver/questionare/release before stepping foot onto my gym floor to warm up.

[Waiver Envy]

would you be willing to share?

my waiver is only a page long.

[/Waiver Envy]
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

depending on how its written sometimes they dont do shiot. best bet is to get one revised by a lawyer. but yes almost all schools in the western mass area as far as i know have waiver that they make you sign when signing up.

personally i think if you dont have something that says "im not gonna sue your ass if i get hurt" is crazy. cause no matter how careful you are, an injury is gonna happen. mostly with beginers it seems from my experience. but never the less its a precautionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Talking

my school does not have a waiver - but we are based in the UK. I assume that makes a difference?

P
    Yes it does make a difference. You see, people in the UK are typically pussie$, so there is no threat of injury, thus, no waivers. It's all pretty simple.

Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Yes it does make a difference. You see, people in the UK are typically pussie$, so there is no threat of injury, thus, no waivers. It's all pretty simple.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    [Waiver Envy]

would you be willing to share?

my waiver is only a page long.

[/Waiver Envy]
    because of the nature of MMa and grappling I make everyone also sign an understanding of the amount of contact and accidental contact that may occur = preemptive strike on sexual harrassment.

I also have a release of treatment so that if little timmy falls and busts his head open i have the authority to attampt to save his life. (you'd be amazed that there are some people in the world that do not want this.. religion er something..)
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    because of the nature of MMa and grappling I make everyone also sign an understanding of the amount of contact and accidental contact that may occur = preemptive strike on sexual harrassment.

I also have a release of treatment so that if little timmy falls and busts his head open i have the authority to attampt to save his life. (you'd be amazed that there are some people in the world that do not want this.. religion er something..)
    thats nice shaolintiger00. i never really thought about the sexual harassment form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

P
    Did you sign a contract of any kind with them? It might have been added in to it. That's the way my sifu does his.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Would anyone like to give an example of a document. I think it might be useful to many schools.

I am in the UK but UI think its a good idea to at least cover your back!

Paul

Google "Liability waiver" or "exculpatory clause" or "hold-harmless clause" and see what you can find. Of course, that's never a substitute for a good barrister or lawyer.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.