Aside from organic or genetic chemical imbalance one of the causes of depression is the conflict between an individual’s self-concept/worldview and their desires. If my desire or expectation about the world or myself is in conflict with the reality of the two as I perceive them, and I am unable to resolve this apparent conflict, then depression results. In this condition I experience a personal dilemma for which I perceive no solution or way out. This puts me in the condition of “effect” which is the feeling that things are happening to me beyond my ability to control or resolve. I feel powerless to affect an improvement in my condition. One solution is put oneself in a condition of “cause”. That is in a state wherein one is actively implementing a solution. In this condition the individual perceives themselves as in some way able to affect a change for the better. They feel empowered to improve their condition. In this circumstance depression is powerlessness versus powerfulness, problem versus solution, effect versus cause, things happening to me beyond my control versus the ability to change my circumstances for the better. Since these individuals have limited or no insight into their own minds and how it functions they feel lost at sea without an oar. Many people with chronic depression do not possess the tools necessary to identify the source of their condition or implement the therapeutic modalities necessary to improve. These tools must be learned and their implementation practiced to successfully transcend the condition.

One of the phenomena of the mind is our perspective of life tends to build a certain momentum. The patterns of our worldview and personal self-image are ingrained over time and build a strength or foundation that becomes difficult to overcome. Positive views breed positive conditions, negative views or improperly practiced views breed negative conditions and these views/conditions have a momentum that will seek to perpetuate that state of being. I liken this to pushing a car down the street. If it is my purpose to change the direction of the vehicle (change my worldview, self-concept, life’s condition) I must first move to the front of the car and slow the negative momentum. This is the active determination one makes to change the course of their life. Then I must overcome the static inertia before I can begin to improve which is to move the vehicle in the opposite, “positive” direction. This takes a Herculean effort for most people to accomplish and is very difficult without personal determination coupled with faithful encouragement of those who understand the process. Finally, over time and practice our mind will establish a new more productive or positive momentum that will seek to perpetuate itself as well.