Thread: What Style Would Work ?

What Style Would Work ?

i am very interested in learning a good martial art style for defense,and without the frills and bells of "pretty" styles. more of a "get in and get out style." very simple in application,yet effective. any suggestions ?

respectfully,peter
    Respectfully,FanWoo

Krav Maga, systema, Boxing, wrestling

Most others have bells and whistles of some sort even bjj anf JKD

look for a teacher rather than a style.

Shooting range
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

any style that addresses stand up / clinch/ ground will get you rounded.

many styles do address these things, it is up to the teacher to make the emphasis on the goal of what is taught though.

you could learn these ranges in many styles of chinese martial arts. But again, it's what is emphasized in the classes.

Is it about preservation of forms for posterity and forms competition or is it about using the style effectively in confrontation or as a sportive combative.

if you want straight gravy, go for straight gravy.

be prepared to put time in. You can't rush it and you can't "see and know".
    You have to practice and practice and when finished that, practice some more.

You have to make structure, you have to apply and you have to apply against resistance to know what is going to work for you and what you cannot make work.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As pointed out, the practitioners make the style work.

Eventually, whatever works for you is Your style.

Each style has its own emphases or core tactics and strategy or principles.

Different "Ways" of solving the common fighting problems or scenarios.

Some prefers to strike.

Some prefers to grab and hold.

Some prefers to throw.

Some prefers to wrestle on the ground.

---

There are hundreds of styles of martial arts, why don't you start by telling us what the options are in your area. You're not going to commute to san fan every night even if we said the greatest school in the world was there. You probably wouldn't even drive an hour away. So, where you at?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

To be reasonable, most people are not going to want to drive any more than 30min. to get to a regular class (say 2-4 times a week). You have to think long term.

Even after you list the schools here that you can get to that is only going to allow us to discuss the theory of the style. You will still need to go and check out each school.
    Always learning

It's sad but true that most martial arts are made to be flashy. I've heard of many cases where someone had been studying a martial art for years and still couldn't fight to save their life.

As far as my personal experience goes, some of the styles that I've seen that are less flashy and more focused on functionality are:

-Ba Gua
    -Southern Mantis kung fu
    -Aikido
    -Jeet Kune Do

The second two are a little bit flashy but still effective in real life situations. Some people might disagree about this, but this has just been my experience.

Alot also just depends on who teaches you too.

If you can't find anyone who teaches any of these styles then my personal advice would be just to try sticking with a soft style.

you can try hung gar if you need too

i thought hungar was good and hisnigi. but that is from personal expearance

maybe try sparring alot

Quote Originally Posted by dainos
    hisnigi
    Do you mean Xingyi?

In the new repitoire department I've been working with some xingyi material and (most recently) a tiny bit of Baji. Both seem rather straightforward but not particularly well rounded... Mostly hand striking techniques in both cases.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

^ I think he means Hsing-i, oh, Xingyi, like you said.

The answer to the original question is Muay Thai and BJJ
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    ^ I think he means Hsing-i, oh, Xingyi, like you said.

The answer to the original question is Muay Thai and BJJ
    MT and BJJ together is one of many cross-training regimens that can produce a well rounded fighter. It's not the only one by far.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

No frills? Really want to learn to fight/defend?

Cut the crap and take an MMA or a hard sparring martial art. Save the frills for womens dresses. You'll need the full range. Here's some ideas:

-Stand Up: Maybe some Boxing or some Muay Thai. I also hear great things about Baji
    -The Clench: I'm biased towards Shuai Chiao, but Judo seems to cut the mustard as well. It' all in HOW you train. Oh, stear clear of the Aikido guys...they are some tools.
    -The Ground: I gotta go with BJJ here. It's the most comprehensive ground art
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest