Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why CMA Doesn't Win the UFC

The thing is CMA offers a person a way to develop and enhance ordinary skills like your intelect, balance, speed, power and grace.
    So does Ballet. Furthermore so does MMA. CMA is not unique at all in developing any of those skills.

We have seen that there is not one specific style that works in these venues. I have also seen guys that stick to there game plan win. If you are a stand up fighter train to knock people out, if you are a grapler train to choke guys out and you will win.
    Incorrect. The "style" that wins most often is the fighter who is the most well rounded fighter who can IMPOSE his gameplan. To be a standup fighter you have to be able to be a good grappler.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Training can't fix being a pus$y
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

St, Incorect about what, In order to be a good stand up fighter you have to be a good grapler??? And what's wrong with ballet??? Is it your intention to put down things that you can't do. Like I said Kung Fu requires Intelect and an apreciation for Art. Fighting is fighting of course you got to be well rounded but what does that have to do with kung fu?? Are you trying to say that knowing CMA along with an understanding of styles won't work???

All I got to say is No Da dummy.

greencloud.com

Mp, I agree it doesn't matter what you know if youre afraid of your own shadow

I don't know that ST00 was trying to be a jerk, I think he was trying to be highly specific, making a distinction between "sticking to a gameplan," and "being able to impose that gameplan."
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri

To stop a fight is a concept, that involves a very different process, than figthing, which is essentially 'sport'.
    And what, exactly is "stopping a fight"?

Quote Originally Posted by hung-le
    Now they say the UFC favors the stand up game.
    Of course today's MMA shows favor striking. That is what the majority of fans want to see. MMA is now a sport and plays to the fans who are mostly interested in the standup portion of the fights. The majority of today's MMA fans are not very well versed about the ground/grappling portion of fighting and find it to be boring.

Ever see two MMA fighters have to stop and restart into a grappling situation? Of course you don't, but you will often see the opposite happen.

Is it your intention to put down things that you can't do. Like I said Kung Fu requires Intelect and an apreciation for Art.
    The irony being you misspelled intellect and appreciation.

And what specifically about kung fu requires these things? And what prohibits MMA fighters from obtaining them? ex. -I'm a registered architect with enjoys historic preservation. I've got both intellect and art appreciation. I also see the beauty and strategy of being an intelligent fighter who uses skill (and science) to overpower brawn.

Despite your attempt to dumb down MMA, there is a very beautiful and intelligent core to it.

btw: I studied tcma for 9 years under 2 highly respected sifus. I am not ignorant about cma.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 05-14-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    Training can't fix being a pus$y

but pucies can still become men, though it is rare.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

ST, the statement you made was that you have to be a good grapler to be a good stand up fighter. Everything else you mention comes from experience and good training. So I still don't understand your point and then a mention about ballet or something.

Once again fighting is fighting and it takes practice and good training. Regardless of what style you do. It's the macho bull**** about fighting that I can't stand. Like I said in the past I have several systems under my belt. It's my preference to make my home in CMA because it's harder to learn and it takes longer to master that makes it all that much challenging. After learning CMA everything else seems like a peace of cake.

I can understand how young testosterone filled guys wanna roll around all day, but lets see ya roll around like that when youre in your 40's. Youre just going to need something more sophisticated.

By the way ST what made you study CMA for so long?? Did ya have bad experience or something??? Is that why your a hater??? None the less your on this forum trying to prove what???

greencloud.net

greencloud.com

If I could interject here, it seems like most of the people on here that are pro-MMA or that style of training have done CMA.

It seems what most of the pro-MMA people are saying, is that the training regimen of CMA is not realistic for fighting, judging by the success in the ring.

That there is too little actual contact, or their classes don't have enough sparring, or like I was saying, that every teacher seems to require a ton of forms and don't let you spar with what you have without learning their techniques.

It seems what most pro-CMA people are saying, is that the venue and techniques of MMA fighting is too simplistic, and doesn't allow them to use their techniques.

That the techniques of MMA fighting are boring, the training isn't interesting, they want something more complex, that they aren't allowed to use their deadly techniques, etc.

OKAY ... so let me break this down a little into the arguments.

MMA
    Plenty of live training.
    Plenty of live sparring.
    Plenty of live fighting.
    Disallows deadly techniques.
    Low on forms and katas.

CMA
    Less live training.
    Less live sparring (according to CMA folks they cannot 'spar' their techniques realistically).
    Less live fighting (according to CMA folks they would hurt their opponent).
    Doesn't limit techniques.
    High on forms and katas.

So I don't know what everybody's goal is for training MMA or CMA. MMA folks some might want to become paid fighters, right? CMA folks some might want to become paid teachers, or learn some culture, right?

But let's limit the question to just fighting.

How confident do you really feel, MMA folks, that you could use your techniques well against live opponents on the street? That they are battle-tested?

How confident CMA folks really feel, that you could use your techniques well against live opponents on the street? That they are battle-tested?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    ST, the statement you made was that you have to be a good grapler to be a good stand up fighter.
    And he's right. If you're not a good grappler, anyone who is will take you down and keep you down - you can't be a good standup fighter if you can't keep yourself standing.

I can understand how young testosterone filled guys wanna roll around all day, but lets see ya roll around like that when youre in your 40's. Youre just going to need something more sophisticated.
    Many people in my gym are in their late 30's. The 40 and up division in NAGA and Grappler's Quest regularly has many competitors in it. Randy Couture won the UFC light heavyweight championship at the age of 40. Try again.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Father dog you talk about Randy C. being 40, but that's one guy and oh yea he is stand up. Like most good anti graplers he keeps him self from ever getting caught up on the ground and usualy knocks his opponents out. My entire system ( lama kung fu ) is based on anti grappling.

I have studied jj for years and get together with tai guys, boxers, and anyone I can get my hands on to improve what ever gaps I have in my system. The bottom line is that if you stick to what you know and keep yourself informed on what's out there than you can enjoy the style that suits you and do well against other styles.

The one thing that I don't agree with is the numbers that you guys are using to base your theories about CMA.

Statisticaly speaking only a handfull of Kung fu guys have ever competed in the UFC or in some MMA tourneys out of thousands of MMArtists. That said I do agree that most traditionalist only focus on forms and when it come to their training regiment they exclude cardio and weight training. Than again come to think of it so do most traditinal styles like karate jiujitsu and so on.

This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with these styles, it's realy up to the individual to fill in the gaps in their training regiment. I visited with Mat serra who is one of gracies better fighters and I didn't see any weight or punching bags or anything in his gym. I just saw mats and a cage. Does that mean that they don't cross train outside of the gym??? Of course not.

The fact is most of the CMA bashers on this forum have all taken kung fu at one time or another and I find that they are disgruntal because their Sifu's never held their hands and made them go the extra mile.

It's realy up to the individual to take that upon himself if he or she realy want to. Don't blame the style blame the practitioner.

greencloud.com

That said I do agree that most traditionalist only focus on forms and when it come to their training regiment they exclude cardio and weight training.

Reply]
    Interesting comment..are you sure that those who do this are "Traditional"? Or are they *Modern* Silk Pajamas who have forgotten the traditional methods of building fighters, and practicing thier art?

Also, shouldn't your forms give you plenty of very sport specific Cardio?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Statisticaly speaking only a handfull of Kung fu guys have ever competed in the UFC or in some MMA tourneys out of thousands of MMArtists.

Reply]
    I Think Sifu Abel has brought this up before, but for the most part, CMA competitors are generally funneled into Kou Shou, or San Shou fighting. MMA isn't even on the radar.

I don't have the stats, but I bet you would see more CMA guys in K1 than UFC. Anyone know about this?
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 05-14-2006 at 09:18 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a