Thread: asthma?

asthma?

i have a question for anyone out there that might work in the medical field. i moved to MD this past winter and this spring i have horrible allergies. i had a little seasonal allergy in NJ but nothing bad just itchy eyes. but here i have the post nasal drip, sore throat, cough, stuffiness, and burning eyes. i have never had asthma. i have never had trouble breathing from cardio (at least not an unreasonable amout of difficulty). but since spring started i have been having an almost impossible time geting air in me during kung fu class. i went to an allergist bc of the seasonal allergies and he said its very common for allergies and asthma to go hand in hand but at the time i wasn't having trouble breathing. since then my allergies are worse too.

the question is since my allergies just kind of popped up to make life suck and allergies and asthma go together is it possible that i am developing asthma? or can allergies make it that hard to breath? it feels like something sitting on my chest and i get dizzy and start seeing those little floating lights (the kind you get from being upside down too long). and my breath is really raspy. i dunno if any one knows anything and i plan to see a doc about it but just thought i'd ask.

I'm currently doing a study on asthma and ways to basically reverse or minimise it, if you're ever interested, the results will be published on my medical blog: http://dr_joshy.livejournal.com .

Getting to your original question though; I am unaware of any specific link between the two. What I mean by that is I haven't read anything tha thas stated how one will lead to another. But that's just based upon my limited research, I'm no expert on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

allergies

I have allergies and asthma. The two can create problems together.
    I live in FL and during pollen season(march for oaks) it kills me. The problem is because of the allergies mucus builds in the nasal and eventually the bronchial tubes thus making the airway smaller in diameter making it hard to breathe. I overdose on my inhalator during this time and sometimes it almost doesn't help.
    This past season my allergist gave me a sample of advair, after using that for a few days i was off the inhalator almost competely. The bad thing is it is a steriod and i would prefer not to use it but it did help. I have not used it in a while and find i am having to use the inhalator again.
    There are many things that can trigger asthma, carpet, cleaning supplies, smoke, perfume etc.
    It can show up on people who had no symptons of it before, it sucks.
    It is probably from all the crap we put into the air in one way or another.
    I would suggest at least getting an inhalator and keeping it with you, i have had a few asthma attacks where it was real bad, had to stop into a store and get a primatine mist spray before i was ready to pass out.
    Second bad one was during a lion dance show for chinese new year. Usually i use it before a show but i was breathing pretty good that day so i didn't use it.
    About 10 minutes into the show i was in trouble, was ready to pass out but luckily my wife had it, i told my partner( i was tail) to go by her so i could get my inhalator.
    It is like my american express card(don't leave home without it!!)

It is best to control it, talk to your allergist and see what they recomend.

Good luck

thanks guys.

There is definitely a link between asthma and allergies. Many times, allergic reactions or the severity of an allergic reaction will unmask a previously undiagnosed asthma condition. Location is also very important. Some areas of the US are more friendly to asthma and allergy sufferers than others.

I would certainly not be surprised if you're diagnosed with asthma. The key to living with asthma is controlling the symptoms. If you need a rescue inhaler, eg albuterol, more than a couple times per week, you likely need better control. There are a couple "natural" remedies you can try, but in your circumstance, they'll likely not work, as they were also unsuccessful in my case. One popular supplement is stinging nettle. Keep us updated after you see the doc.
    Don't Just Live- Live and Perform

Center for Integrative Health and Perfomance

www.centerforIHAP.com

i made an appointment. so i should find out soon ( i hope). i am reluctant to try herbs and such bc of the nature of my allergies. i have oral allergy syndrome which makes me allergic to virtually all raw fruits and vegetables. i am afraid to take supplements just in case unless i know they are processed.

i saw my dr about this problem and he said that it is most likely what is called exercise enduced asthma. he did not give me an inhaler he gave me a script called singulair and i don't know if its helping. i still sometimes get bouts of not being able to breath (usually in sparring now). he said it also may be a problem with my heart. i told him that was impossible as i did away with that thing a long time ago. so now i have to go through the stress tests and blood work and all that jazz. but it has seriously been hindering my MA. i hate having to hold back. my old sifu used to say "we're going all out til we fall out" and thats how i try to do it. if i am there i am there to push myself as hard as i can and now i have to watch how hard i push myself so i can breath.

herbal remedies

Here's an interesting Internet Radio Show specific to Asthma. It might be of interest to some of you.

Just wanna pipe in real quick.
    Maryland air is some of the worst anywhere, especially around DC and Baltimore. My first year up there I remember being sick ALL the time. Ended up missing a bit of work due to it as well. I wasn't the only one with problems, either. Two more coworkers I met years later in another office had both moved to MD from Michigan and basically their bodies kind of shut down on them.

All i can say is "give it time". After 6 months or a year i really started to adapt, hope you can too. Don't stress it too much and try to relax. Vitamin C & allergy medications may help you out in the short run. I hear certain dietary changes can work wonders too- I'm assuming less milk, more leafy greens, but would have to look it up to be sure.

Also, remember NJ and MD, although relatively close, do have a different climate. Maryland is always real humid and gets much hotter in the summers than NJ. I had discounted the effect of moving to a warmer climate and my move to Texas this year has really humbled me. Ive really had to learn to take my time and be patient with my body as it does its best to adapt.

Good luck
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

A few things-

1). Yes, allergies can be a trigger for asthma, as can heat, cold, exercise, dust mites, and pollution, among many other things.

2). Exercise-induced asthma can be controlled by a). pre-exercise bronchodilators, b). 10minutes light exercise before strenuous exercise, c). a recent paper (saw the abstract on medscape) showed equivalence between bronchodilators and treatment with warmed air pre-exercise

3). Your doc is dead on right to rule out cardiac causes - keep him or her.

4). Pulmonary function tests with bronchodilators would help establish this diagnosis and quantify whether or not you're developing complications of chronic asthma.

5). If you do have asthma, get a peak flow meter, learn to use it, and use it twice a day. Asthma is generally not 'curable' as someone asserts earlier, but it can be managed by an alert and informed patient.

Good luck,

Andrew

wow thanks everyone. a lot of really good information here. i really appreciate it.
    regards,
    ~steve