Thread: A genuine treasure: CLF Manuscript from founder Chan Heung

A genuine treasure: CLF Manuscript from founder Chan Heung

I took this quote from the following link:http://www.choyleefut.us/History.html

Chan Heung Documents His Teachings

Three years later, at the invitation of his uncle and the local overseas Chinese association, Chan Heung left his village for the Northern Ocean (believed to be America). There he taught the overseas Chinese for three years, followed by three years in Hong Kong to teach his local country compatriots. He then travelled to the Southern Ocean (Malaysia and Singapore) to teach in the Kwangtung Association for several years. Upon his return to Mount Law Fou to visit Choy Fook he discovered that the monk had died during his absence at the age of one hundred and twelve. Interpreting that fact that he had not been able see his teacher one more time before his death as a meaningful sign, he chose to do penance by undertaking the task of editing all his learning into one book in order that there would be a written record for posterity, and thus preventing the possibility of misinterpretation and ambiguity creeping into the art. He named the manuscript 'The Manual of Choy Lee Fut Fighting Arts'.

Chan Heung died on August 20, 1875. Peacefully, he was buried in King Mui Village and remembered by all of his followers since.

Indeed , a genuine treasure, a manuscript of the art of fighting the clf way, written by the founder Chan Heung himself. I think it will provide us with a good source of information of how the founder viewed fighting, and may help us to understand better how to train to fight the clf way and use the components that make up the system and style of clf.
    A lot of treasures for us to dig, and a lot of knowledge in existence left by our predecessors. I think it would be wise to take advantage of them rather than try to re-invent the wheel. (Or make things up when they don't know and ramble ramble! )

I'm wondering if Master Chen Yong Fa, the male descendent and heir to Chan Heung's system, has any plans to provide seminars on some of the theories of clf fighting. You need brains to win a fight! (do you agree?)

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    I think it’s highly commendable of you bring these articles to are attention of the general public, however for the majority of CLF players on hear it’s not exactly ground breaking news.

Blog Entries
    Do any of Chan Heung's original writings still survive?

I think only the writtings of Chan Yiu Chi remain and remember Chen Yong Fa/Chan Wing Faht is not the only male heir to the family legacy there are other cousins (Chan Sun Chui) living in Sun Wui that have many of Chan Yiu Chi's Kuen Po as does Ng Fu Hang.

CLFNole,

AS we can see from the pictures of the kuen po posted in this link, not all of them were written or kept by Chan Yiu-Chi, nor by Chan Heung's direct descendants only.

http://www.clfsd.com/gall/gall1.html

I have yet to see Chan Heung's hand writings but many valuable documents were lost during the cultural revolution, including his Nine Dragons Trident and his tiger skin.

BTW, I like your motto: CLF Yut Gar (CLF is one family).

EJ

Blog Entries
    No writings from Chan Heung? with your 50 years plus you've yet to see any on chan heung's writings? why is that?

A lost tiger skin?

so if the actual writings on the 9 dragon trident was lost, and was Chan Heungs personal weapon, then how was this passed on? How do you know it wasn't created by someone else?

likely story.

Hi Frank,

As likely as Jeong Yim founded a kung fu stystem called "Authentic Shaolin"! No one who knows Chinese would use this name, it means other schools are not authentic. You kung fu scholar you!

I suppose the Cultural Revolution is all just a liar to you, it was just a conspiracy by the Chinese to keep the revolution going!

If you bother to visit King Mui village like I did and talk to some of the old guys there, you would know they did have a tiger skin and the Nine Dragon Trident used by Chan Heung, but don't take my words for it go and check it now.

While you are at King Mui, go down and see Jeong Yim's village as well and asked the villagers there if Jeong Yim founded a Kung Fu system called "Authentic Shaolin", you will be surprised it is not the same story give by Kong Hing, but what would they know!

Blog Entries
    wow!!!!!

i MEAN WOW!!!!!!!!

DOESN'T ANYONE REMEMBER JOSEPH TELLING US THAT THE TIGER SKIN WAS UNFORTUNATELY STOLEN AND LOST FOREVER!!!!!!

BUT NOW JOSEPH IS SAYING THAT THEY MYSTERIOUSLY RE-LOCATED THE TIGER SKIN, RIGHT?

NOW, THE 9 DRAGON TRIDENT IS POSSIBLY IN KING MUI. BUT WHO CARES. I WASN'T IMPRESSED WITH THE SET IN THE FIRST PLACE. AND SINCE YOU SAY THE ORIGINAL COPIES OF THE SET HAVE BEEN LONG LOST OR DESTROYED HOW DO YOU KNOW THE SETS WAS SOMETHING PRACTICED BY CHAN HEUNG?

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT KONG HING? YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO HE IS. DON'T LIE. YOU REMEMBER ME TELLING YOU ABOUT HIM LONG AGO BEFORE THE GENERAL GOT INVOLVED AND SMEARED YOUR NAME ALL OVER THE NET.

i TRUST IN WHAT KONG HING AND ANY OTHER HUNG SING AND BUK SING KWOON MEMBER WILL SAY ABOUT OUR BRANCHES ANYDAY OVER WHAT SOME CHAN CLAN PEOPLE WILL TELL ME. WHY DO YOU KEEP GOING BACK TO KING MUI WHEN OUR BRANCH STARTED IN FUT SAN?V yOU CAN GO TELL THOSE GUYS IN KING MUI THEY CAN GO SEE KONG HING.

LMAO.........JOSEPH IS TRYING TO PASS OFF NOW THAT THE LOST TIGER SKIN THAT CHAN HEUNG KILLED WITH WHAT......HIS BARE HANDS......OR WAS IT WITH THE COAT HANGER IN HIS OLD ARSE AGE? MAYBE HE USED HIS BARE HANDS TO HOLD THE COAT HANGER THEN STRANGLED THE TIGER WITH IT.

YEAH THAT'S THE TICKET.

You are mistaken if you think that none of Chan Heung's "work" has been passed down.
    At least some of his writings have now become more publically accessible such as some piece from his " Choy Lee Fut lian kuen hung kung bei yil" (the training secret essentials of the style of Choy Lee Fut).
    As well there is a selection from a manual of chan heung's authorship where he himself describes his meeting of Lee Yau san and Choy Fook and why he called his style Choy Lee Fut. And for your information the reason has nothing to do with Jeong Yim.

Hey EJ,

The guy goes on about how he knows his branches history, yet why does he need to rely on the biased (?) heresay (with no evidence) of an elder from another branch (buk sing?) to support his claims about his "lineage history"?

Yet on the link he posted, We can see this quote: "For the record, we, The Buck Sing Gwoon, maintain Chan Heung as the founder of Choy Lay Fut"

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...=41441&page=10

I think we all agree that Chan Heung is the founder.

Just that the HS people think Jeong Yim is the CO-founder.

Chan Family thinks otherwise.

I DON'T CARE FRANKLY.

I train for fighting.

Leave the BS politics to people who have too much free time.

At the bottom of this webpage you can see some kuen pos and there is a diagram of the nine dragons trident, said to be the favourite weapon of Chan Heung, the founder of Choy Lee Fut kung fu.

http://www.choyleefut.us/ChoyLeeFutKungFu.html

Wink drama

Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael

I DON'T CARE FRANKLY.

I train for fighting.

i agree, when it comes to clf history there is alot of differnt interprations,so everyone should do there research. Keep the politics off the forum

Havick
    Last edited by Havick01; 05-24-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael

I DON'T CARE FRANKLY.

I train for fighting.

Amen. If you don't know how to fight then you don't know how to fight....period....I don't care who your founder, sifu or third uncle once removed from your sister's aunt was. That's not gonna do sh)t for you when somebodies trying to clean your clock.

I still think history's interesting though, but mostly from a genetic perspective ie how martial arts evolved and changed over time....the methods employed etc. There's a whole sea of martial arts knowledge out there waiting to be discovered, dissected and integrated.

You will be assimilated.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 05-23-2006 at 05:02 PM.