Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little Four Hands of Korea

Oh yes, that 5 punches. Zhang De Kuei called it lien 5 chuei. It seems to be very well known.

For the 8 Step people, that old drill was tacked onto the end of lipi after the 2 sweep kicks.

Actually I was talking about another 5 punches that you didn't recall, but never mind, about 20 forms are called 5 punches of one sort or another.

Carl, I will email.
    Thanks for posting all that info.

LCP,
    I couldn't follow your meaning.
    Just about the solo version, you do have a solo for this?
    Then what is the 1st move?

MK,
    Any info I have about Korean martial arts is from the 70s and before. I haven't been to Korea since 1976 So I don't know much about whats been happening since that time. I do know that contempory wu shu gained some interest in Korea and I have seen some of the teachers here in the states but don't remember the names. If I think of anything, I'll post it.
    Sifu Carl

Name of Set

I dont know how correct this is but I learned that set from my Instructor. Who I have found out recently doesn't have very good credentials in Kung Fu. We always called the set "Pe Can Wu Da Sui" . At Least that is how I have always heard it pronounced. I was told that we practice Sip Pal Gi. However the liniage is kind of sketchy after 3 generations the fairthest back I know of is Young P. Choi. Who was my instructor's instructor.

Kevin

The combined efforts of the book and the video is a great idea. Putting the two together as a package deal makes sense.

Little Four Hands is the first form I teach, nice entry level set... very short though. However the partnered form can be rather intense and you can really knock the snot out each other.

Quote Originally Posted by tswolfman
    I was told that we practice Sip Pal Gi. However the liniage is kind of sketchy after 3 generations the fairthest back I know of is Young P. Choi. Who was my instructor's instructor.
    tswolfman,
    who's your sifu? the style I studied was called Sip Pal Gi when my Sigung was teaching it. He's from Korea. Could you tell me some of the names to your forms?...might be the same.
    LCP

My instructor was Darrel Trudo. I had a difference of opinion with him. We Did Aka Kwan , Quada Kwan ( spelled Querro I think), Kim Gan Kwan, Dan Shu's And Tan Tae's. At least that's How we Pronouced them. Those are all of the forms that I had learned before I seperated from my Instructor.

Enjoyed all the info on mantis in korea. Im sure some soldier stationed in korea would be interested. I was fortunante to visit seoul in 2003 great city. My Sifu when i was a teenager learned his gung fu in korea while being stationed there. Rad

i'm very interested in this thread.

I am a student of ITF based TKD and augmented with hapkido and kung fu.

Specifically i have just recently begun studying Chun Moo Kwan Sip Pal Gi.

My instructor's instructor is Master Chun Dai Soung whose short biography is listed on the Mantis Cave website. >link<. Master Chun is the founder the Korean Ship Pal Gee Association in Korea and now resides near in New Orleans. His school is curently closed due to Hurricane Katrina damage.

It is very difficult to find information specific to this system and am open to ANY information anyone wishes to provide. I am unsure if this system has other names or other variations. I understand that it is Long Fist, Plum Flower and Bagua as learned and taught by Koreans. But upon researching there are vast variations of these 'systems'.

In this system, the first form is called BaChu, second form is called TongYungCaraguan (or TongLongCarowen as previously posted by another).

I am told there are "12 Tangs" (12 roads). These are very short forms, repeated several times in-line; but when i search for the 12 tangs online, none of them resemble the 2 or 3 i have exprienced.

more input please!?!?!

Steronius

Try sending K. Brazier a pm about your questions, he could possibly have information.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Kevin B. echoing Roberts post...... Long over due, and anxious to get a copy vid included.
    Are you back in the US yet? I thought you would be home for X -mas. Please let us know.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I know a version of kai lu chuan through my study with my sifu, Park Bok Nam. I am not too sure of his mantis lineage, as I have never asked him about it. What did you want to know about that form?

-Steve

SBonzak and MasterKiller,

I am most interested in this information.

I am interested in your forms can you post info on them? movements, diagrams, video?

SBonzak, if your Sifu is Master Park Bok Nam, please i am very interested in your forms.
    Last edited by Steronius; 02-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Is this book now available? Where can it be got? How much is it?

Is this form similar/the same as the Korean two-man set called "8-step sparring"?

1. front toe kick
    2. step forward punch right
    3. step back to cat stance and block high
    4. forearm block low
    5. step back to horse block knee with hammer fist
    6. hook the punch
    7. step in forearm strike
    8. reverse punch

When Person A does move 1, Person B does move 5, and progress numerically from there.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    similar in intent but some different moves

for the two person:

A - Step in w/ left foot and left head punch
    B - left hand intercepts and gou lou cai as you flank step with left foot and step around to round punch the back of their head
    A - hops back and dissolves hand out the gou lou cai and ducks under round punch and chops back to B's waist w/ left hand
    B - blocks down with right hand to block waist chop and turns to throw left reverse punch while lunging fwd in a right lead
    A - cross steps back w/ left to finish in an right empty (cat) stance and right inside block
    B - Toe kick w/ left foot, advancing after the kick
    A - Cross steps back w/ right foot to finish in horse w/ left hand blocking kick

B- throws left head punch
    A - left hand intercepts and gou lou cai as you flank step with left foot and step around to round punch the back of their head

and so on. I think yu shan and his guys and gals do a passing move to switch from left side to right side but I might be mistaken. We're still mostly training left side only.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"