Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Kicking

Wing Chun Kicking

I have come acrossed a supposed "traditional" saying that states that "the art of Wing Chun has only one kick." The Wing Chun that I've practiced definitely has more than one. All of the other styles of Wing Chun that I see have more than one kick. Did this saying come from a "purist"? Is there a meaning to this supposed traditional saying that I'm not catching??? Does anyone have any thoughts on this saying? Please let me hear them.

not sure about the saying.

i have come across the following kicking techniques:-
    deng
    lgoh
    jeet
    chang
    fooh
    chai
    tahn
    tai
    foong
    shou

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I have come acrossed a supposed "traditional" saying that states that "the art of Wing Chun has only one kick."
    Even if there is such a Wing Chun why is that more "pure"? It was just as much of an innovation at some point when someone took away a bunch of kicks as it would be to reinclude some later.

can u pls illuminate a bit more the kicks, cause the chinese names dnt say anything to me! where i train they hv show us only two ( a front one and a low kick) can u tell me the rest what are all about

It may not be that there is only one kick per se

Rather that the concept behind the kick is the same in all instances i.e. moving the foot from one point to another (i.e. from floor to target) in a straight line.

My teacher explains this idea here:

Kicking article
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Nick,

Thanks for a constructive and informative response. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer
    It may not be that there is only one kick per se

Rather that the concept behind the kick is the same in all instances i.e. moving the foot from one point to another (i.e. from floor to target) in a straight line.
    Ive heard of this belief before in the VT world, and its wrong at face value IMO.

I agree with Nicks POV, which gives an insight into why some may wrongly believe this.

In fact VT as im taught - has eight standard kicks - Some kicks are minor variations of others.

This 'single kick' theory is easy to dispell....

Chum Kui - in a universal sence - (meaning from most lineage's ive seen) have two kicks within the form, a side kick and a front kick.... both use a straight line.

If you looked at the Dummy form in books or in person, you would find most VT schools have front kicks side kicks and stamp kicks within the form itself. Mine does and were not the only ones.

The big differences ive noticed between lineages is the touch point of the kicks and body position behind it, some turn almost 90 degrees others no more than 45.... but needless to say for the most part MANY different schools that ive visited and viewed have MORE than just one kick.

Andy - i would say to these, as you put it... "traditional" or "purist" VT people, it seems as though "the Kung Fu is using them, not them using the Kung Fu"
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

ChangHFY Guest
    Hi, Andy. Hows everything? I think what they mean by Wing Chun has only one kick. This saying goes past the physical, its more of a concept than actually saying Wing Chun only has a single kick. What it sounds like they are talking about is the Mo Ying Gerk (no shadow kick) Though there are more than one kick they fall under this category. So if you think in this line of thought then to that person there is only one kick. For instance Wan Gerk and Ding Gerk are both considered no shadow kick but physcially they differ. I hope this helps

take care,
    zai jian

sir elric, see below re: kicks...

dang - nailing kick
    lgoh - wooden leg lift
    jeet - stop kick without bending leg (lift as one unit)
    chang - push kick fowards
    fooh - foot angled, lift leg straight up e.g. to hit opponents elbow
    chai - pinning leg, step forwards onto opponents foot/shin
    etc etc...

my descriptions are probably a bit off but hopefully you get the idea. i think getting bogged down in technicalities takes away from being a more natural wing chun man. you know... "don't concentrate on the finger..."

Thanks guys. It's nice to have an intelligent discussion and learn a few things in the process. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Hey there Andy,

I'd have to agree with Nick's post about the kick's. You can actually make a comparison, which is almost parallel, with the hands. In the hands you have the tan sau. From there you get all the other permutations of this hand technique. So it is also with the legs. From the tan geuk (if the term is wrong forgive me) you get all of the other permutations of this starting kick. Again, like Nick said it's all about the concept behind the kick.

A very important tip, if you don't mind, and the idea behind any kick in the system is that a horse (rooted stance) must be kept at all times when kicking for it to pocess effectiveness. The beauty of it all is that the forms themselves will give you clues as to the variations of the kicks in the system if you look carefully. It's tricky as I'm still learning were in the forms these kicks lie.

Just a couple taels from yours trully.

BTW, Nick, that was a very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

DRleungjan
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

BTW, Nick, that was a very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Pleasure, glad you found it useful.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Only one kick....

Just a thought, but perhaps it is more along the line of one of the "songs" in Wing Chun. Although I have not heard of this in reference to a kick, but there is the saying that the Pole only makes one sound and I beleive there is a song that states the Knives only make one cut. It is more of a idea and not to be taken at face value. It is not to say we only have one cutting action with the knives or one hit with the pole, more so we do not do multiple blocks or actions before attempting to attack the opponent. We make one action, one kick one strike. One ring to bind them all, wait sorry wrong topic.

Just a thought.
    What is the first thing you remember after the last thing you forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by darkwater108
    Just a thought, but perhaps it is more along the line of one of the "songs" in Wing Chun. Although I have not heard of this in reference to a kick, but there is the saying that the Pole only makes one sound and I beleive there is a song that states the Knives only make one cut. It is more of a idea and not to be taken at face value. It is not to say we only have one cutting action with the knives or one hit with the pole, more so we do not do multiple blocks or actions before attempting to attack the opponent. We make one action, one kick one strike. One ring to bind them all, wait sorry wrong topic.

Just a thought.
    There's also the one:

The kick never misses - understood by our group as by lifting a leg, you are gambling with your balance and the kick should be a good one!

Just to add,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels