Thread: Long tassel sword

Hybrid View

"Performance Indicator:
    I don't think so. The tassle will only fly about nciely if the the sword gets spinned a lot, simple physics. Any sudden change in direction and speed will make the tassle go every which way, and tangle up the hand. It's not a good performance indicator for any non-flower use of the sword."

True if you have one of the cheesy tassels that come with so many swords.

Even the heavier ones that are available here in the US are not exactly what is called for. ..but hey will work in a pinch

If you do a level cut, for example, you learn to move the hand a certain way. nOT to do this will cause the tassel to wrap the wrist. To go the correct way puts the hand away from and in front of the tassel.

I had a discussion with my teacher on tassels and wanted to remove mine a long while ago. Then we found a shop here in Houston where the people made the knots and other art objects...and actually had the correct weight of chord for a tassel.

It was about twice as thick as the heavier ones you can find. And - when used, it did NOT flap around and wrap up your wrist unless you did it wrong.

I got one set for my jian and another truly for decoration for my two handed jian. But, the difference is completely noticeable. Now...if only someone would actually import some like those.

**** our search engine...

I wish I could find our old tassel thread. We went through all of this. Our forum search engine has never functioned well - I can't figure the right key word. Either that or it's just before the search engine can find it. I did some manual searching, but got tired and distracted. It's a shame since we addressed all these issues quite eloquently there.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart