Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate training with women.

double standard?

jules,

It's easier for me to hit you in the boobs than it is for you to hit me in the balls. I'm not talking about sparring with a gigantic helmet and gloves. I don't believe in that kind of training. ANyone can win a sparring match. All it takes is one hard shot to the head to make someone lose momentary/or complete focus.

I'm not talking about rape at all here. I'm not sure what my first post says anymore but here's the deal.

How do we train women to gain the same KUNG FU skills as men? THis doesn't just apply to kung fu. Any style you please. The guys I train with take it easy on the women. It's very evident and very dumb, I think. That's why I punched that chick in the stomach. You hit to hit...not to let someone get out of the way of a slower less powerful hit. That doesn't do her any good.

The weapons idea, by RAy, has some merit to it. Weapons are the great equalizer. A knife will cut right through solid muscle.

I'm having a genious moment here. Sometimes I train with bigger stronger guys. And sometimes I have trouble getting out of their way. So I understand how a girl feels when going up against someone bigger. My solution? Become softer to cirumvent his power, move my feet more, improve my timing. I think I just tapped into my inner woman. I'm a quiesachsherach(from Dune). I probably spelled it wrong. This is what all people in martial arts, not just chicks, have to do to improve. BUT the women are the ones who are going to be responsible to learn this on their own. The three areas I just mentioned can only be trained by the individual. They can't be learned by watching someone else or having training partners take it easy on them. Me so smart me answered my own question.

Back to this rape business. Here's the scoop. Most of us won't be able to stop such situations. If I get mugged by a bunch of guys or a guy with a gun I probably won't get out of that situation without losing some facial hair and money. All this rape training scenario business? Men probably get raped more than women. Where? Prison. Prison rapes aren't included in 'regular' rape statistics. Almost no man escapes prison rape. No siree. So forget all this scenario bs and just train to get the skills of your style. Ultimately it is up to all of you individually to escape whatever situation you're in. You can't train for every outcome. I'd rather train a woman to get the basic skills then have a bunch of her training partners yell at her and pretend to try and drag her off. Through her training of her skillset hopefully she'll develop the spirit to live in those situation.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Well, my ultomate standing on this issue is...
    If the art doesn't work for a woman, she shouldn't take it.
    Being a female myself, I've trained several arts. I love martial arts very much and love to train. But I have found some arts to be more effective for a woman than others. plain and simple.
    Where I train now I train with only men. Only men take WC and it's really annoying to me. Women seem to be jaded to the fact that they cannot defeat a male opponent.
    this is nonsense. Now, when I studied ju-jitsu I could overcome many men, but not most or all. too much muscle, and effort. I took Tang Soo Do as a kid. In reality head kicks take too long on the street (i lived in a bad neighborhood. got practical practice! lol!) and the punching technique never gave me much power. etc.. etc.. I took a little from one art some from another and compiled a way to fight.
    Then I started Wing Chun, and the techniques there were physically effortless for my small size and lack of much physical strength. So far, when I train with all the big guys (their all bigger than me! lol) they don't go any lighter than on each other. Actually, the techniques work better if they really try to hit you.
    Now, I always wanted to train Akido, and a few other arts, just didn't find them in my area and price range. I'm sure their are many arts just as good.
    Every person needs to find an art that suits them. Especially women.
    They really don't need to waste their time with techniqes that aren't working for them. We've got more to lose than our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by travelsbyknight
    Any style you please. The guys I train with take it easy on the women. It's very evident and very dumb, I think. That's why I punched that chick in the stomach. You hit to hit...not to let someone get out of the way of a slower less powerful hit. That doesn't do her any good.
    Acting like a jerk doesn't do her any good either. Unless you are the instructor you have no business making this decision and a good instructor would not have your poor attitude or acted in such a manner without prior agreement with the woman. It isn't your job to treat your classmates with disrespect. Most likely the only thing she learned from this is not to spar with you anymore. If I were you instructor, depending upon the circumstances, I would have either given you a good talk, given you some of your own medicine, or both!!

I'm having a genious moment here.
    You would be better off having a maturity moment!

Almost no man escapes prison rape. No siree.
    I have 12 years experience in the CA prison system, working in the medical department AND as a Correctional Officer, I can say with a certainty that you are wrong!!! Not even close to most inmates get raped! How old are you 12? Fights are common, rapes are not!!

I'm a quiesachsherach(from Dune). I probably spelled it wrong.
    Dude you spelled it way wrong.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Thumbs down Travelsbyknight

I have come to the conclusion, after reading your posts(especially this latest one) that you are a dumba$$ and you dont know sh!t about anything you are talking about.

Im through with this Thread.

As always,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

jules,

It's easier for me to hit you in the boobs than it is for you to hit me in the balls. .
    So because it's easier, that somehow makes it more acceptable? I'm not so sure about that one, anyway. Hitting, maybe, but it's really not too hard to catch a guy with a kick to the nuts. Easy to do on accident, in fact.
    Akahai - Modesty
    Lokahi Aku Like - Unison and harmony
    'Olu 'Olu Ka Manao - Pleasant thoughts
    Ha'a Ha'a - Humility
    Ahonui A Lanakila - Patience will achieve your goals

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    So because it's easier, that somehow makes it more acceptable? I'm not so sure about that one, anyway. Hitting, maybe, but it's really not too hard to catch a guy with a kick to the nuts. Easy to do on accident, in fact.
    he means your going to have to protect them harder then he will. you will have to deal with it. im pretty sure getting hit the boobs is not as painfuly as getting full blown out kicked in the groin. it may hurt but your going to have to be careful.

everybody has weaknesses
    "you might be in a fake cma school if your master claims to teach a style secretly passed down to him & nobody else called the Five Deadly Venoms"-forgot who

"With kungfu, if it is good method you will build the body and the mind. when these are strong, the spirit flourishes. That's the core of kungfu and again it circles back to 'you'."- david jamieson

P.S. i could be completely wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dainos
    he means your going to have to protect them harder then he will. you will have to deal with it. im pretty sure getting hit the boobs is not as painfuly as getting full blown out kicked in the groin. it may hurt but your going to have to be careful.

everybody has weaknesses

Sure, we are as careful as we can be. But IIRC, he was talking about doing it on purpose. Big difference there.

Not sure if it's as painful or not; it depends on a lot of things, and me not having nuts and you not having boobs, we will never know for sure. But it is potentially very dangerous and inappropriate.

~~J
    Akahai - Modesty
    Lokahi Aku Like - Unison and harmony
    'Olu 'Olu Ka Manao - Pleasant thoughts
    Ha'a Ha'a - Humility
    Ahonui A Lanakila - Patience will achieve your goals

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg
    ... I don't think many really get into martial arts to be able to beat up men.
    You are right!

I know I did not. I first got into it because of something physically happening to me, but I didn't go because I wanted to hurt someone or even defend myself, it was emotional. I felt confident again and I had fun with it, after trying it I discovered that I did enjoy it, but as most things go life gets in the way and I stopped learning. It did, however, spark an interest in kickboxing and now I practice daily as well as teach it part time.
    You can't train me like a man, but be real! women are different and everything you do with them is going to be altered. Hello, that is why we are women guys! I am sure there are more than a few men or Sifus that train people to better them not to train men only? It is not all about sparring and fighting? Is it, not for me anyway.

you train towards the agenda and goals of the method you use.

in some schools this excludes actual combat practice vis a vis sparring, sparring full contact, free fighting etc etc.

in my opinion, it is unwise for buck beginners to participate in pressurized fighting practice. It's counter productive and doesn't foster a safe learning environment.

however, martial arts is "martial" and to not explore this facet is to leave a huge chunk of what training means out of the training and thereby renders said art "ineffective" ultimately.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wink Help,Im a woman!

Hi all, Im new here, only discovered this all today ,so quite excited!
    Can I just make a few comments about women and kung fu?
    I train with lots of men, some of whom I find it frustrating to train with, as they are quite "soft" and don't put the effort in. When I warm up I do exactly the same as the men, I swaet as much and work as hard.
    I may not have the same upper body strength as some of them, but to be quite honest there are some who I have better upper body strength than. When we practice hand and kick blocks, I attack as though I am going in to punch, and expect my partner to give me as good as I get.
    I had an experience with a guy who kept holding back as he didn't want to hit me in the chest, and I explained that I go to kung fu to learn kung fu, and that he should forget about that.I have as much chance of kicking him where it hurts too!
    I know that some women who have come and trained with us have been quite "soft".
    It all depends what you go to martial arts for. I don't go just for self defence, but because I want to practice kung fu. I think it's a shame that people generalise, and I do find it hard work that some men, although only a tiny percentage, treat me any differently. Whenever they come out with a comment like "ooh she's feisty" or "it must be that time of the month" when I'm sparring , I really have to bite my tongue, luckily it doesnt happen though!
    There shouldnt be the need for women to try and prove themselves. If they are serious about training then fair enough,as I am. We have several men in the class who really should try harder, and are usually suprised when I can keep up!
    Practicing kung fu has made me so much stronger, but I never really think about the practicalities of fending off attackers, as that would change the whole focus for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin
    Practicing kung fu has made me so much stronger, but I never really think about the practicalities of fending off attackers, as that would change the whole focus for me!
    :shudder

Oh, well. I guess things are not the same now. When I first started taking MA over 20 years ago, it was about fighting and self defense.

Now I guess some people go for other reasons. No wonder it's so hard to find decent training these days.

Fighting and Self Defense are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Fighting and Self Defense are not the same thing.
    Fighting is using one's fists or weapons to cause damage to the other person, or subdue the other person.

Self defense is fighting to defend oneself (edit or other people, like family). Or running away.

But it is still fighting.

you use fighting for self defense. not all times, but most.

if someone forces me to defend my self, i will use many fighting techniques and methods.

likewise if you enter a fight, premeditated on both ends. the moment the fight turns where you are on the total defensive and are losing, at this point your defending your self.

they are within each other but have seperate distinctions.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!