Thread: Ling Po Chuan

Ling Po Chuan

I was looking in the archive and found this link to the "lyrics" of Ling Po, or Lien Bu, or Lin Bo, etc, etc.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...threadid=12351

And from reading the threads related it seems this is the way most schools whose heritage goes through Grand Master Wong Jack Man do this form.

Our's differs slightly in that upon reaching the turnaround point at each side there is a Do Li with the left leg up and left hand outstretched and open with the right in a fist above the head. This goes into a outside crescent kick(kicking the left hand) and then into the hammer fist that is in the lyrics(the kick is only on the first turnaround).

I was wondering if anyone knows if this was added by Sifu Kam Yuen? He is my Sifu's Sifu. I found a school online who also has Sifu Kam in their lineage and their video posting of Ling Po is very similar to ours(with this Do Li and kick added). Here's the link:

http://www.schoolofshaolin.com/pictures.html

Does anybody else do the form similar to this?
    Anybody still on this forum from the Lohan School of Shaolin in Vegas? They are also of the Sifu Kam lineage and I'm wondering if they do it as we do.

SN,

Yes there is a kick there but it is usually not expressed as one does the set. It is what one calls a hidden application. When Kam learned this set from GM WJM, Kam decided to express the application when he performed this set. Thus when he taught this set to others he teaches the way he practices the set.

Also what he changed in this same set is the first few moves directional wise. He made the set comp0letely linear. Originally the set's first block and strike is to the left then the body turns 180 degrees to the right and blocks with the left while raising the left leg then striking with the right with a right bow horse. Then the next series of movements arwe on the center line such that the body steps 90 degrees to the left with a sliding chop with the left, etc.

Kam also added mantis hooks of which are very obvious near the end of the set. Kam had this thing about mantis movements and would typically added mantis claws and grabs to his BSL sets.

Anyway the Lin Bo on the vid is essenially correct but has some modifications from the originally method that GM WJM taught it. This is Kam's way of placing his footprint on his sets and there is nothing wrong with what he did. Its his way of expressing himself through the sets that he teaches. Some teachers do this but many do not.

I thought that part near the end looked very mantis(That is the next part I have yet to learn). Thank you for your insights into the form. I'm very interested in the history of the forms, especially when masters add their signatures.

I have enjoyed very much reading through your posts on this forum and the archives. Much of the information you bless us with is not available anywhere else and it is a great pleasure to learn from your posts. This is especially true since Grand Master Wong has retired from teaching. Our school had talked for some time about taking a trip up to train with him, and I'm very bummed never to have experienced it. It is indeed a pleasure to read the wisdom of one who trained with such a master.

With greatest respect,
    ShaoliNeophyte