Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Black Belt Mag festival

2nd Black Belt Mag festival

Black Belt Magazine's 2nd Annual Festival of Martial Arts

Long Beach Convention Center (Hall A)

July, 28, 29, 30

I'll be in L.A. with William Cheung and Keith Mazza from July 26th until Aug. 3rd. There will be 2 hour clinics with different martial artists. William Cheung's clinic will be on Sat. July 29 from 12:30 - 2:30. I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    Black Belt Magazine's 2nd Annual Festival of Martial Arts

Long Beach Convention Center (Hall A)

July, 28, 29, 30

I'll be in L.A. with William Cheung and Keith Mazza from July 26th until Aug. 3rd. There will be 2 hour clinics with different martial artists. William Cheung's clinic will be on Sat. July 29 from 12:30 - 2:30. I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR
    Hey Phil
    I might have another suprise KFO guest from canada , for you to meet , on sunday i think after noon i can take you both to get some cuban food !!!! If you got some wheels maybe we can all meet at Gary's ! around 11 and then head out from there ....

i'm busy both sat and sun mornings but should be able to free up my afternoons
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Yeah, I will be competing there... should be a monster of an event.

Hopefully, we can get our schedules to coordinate.

I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR
    Phil, could you please pass on my regards to Alan, he was also my first instructor back in '74/'76 at the Whitehall Road School in Gateshead. He won't remember the skinny 14 year old, but I have fond memories and appreciate that he started me on what has become a 32 year passage down the Wing Chun trail.

Cheers Trevor Jefferson
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

Hey Ernie, I'll see you Sunday then.

Dale, when are you competing? I'd like to see you.

tjwingchun, I'll tell him when I see him. Are you anywhere near Manchester? That's where Alan said he's from.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter

Dale if your free sunday afternoon maybe we can all get some food !!!! good luck at the comp .
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

What a great opportunity to exchange. I hope you take advantage of it Dale. Some great WC people there. Good luck in your comp.

Hey Ernie, I'll see you Sunday then.

Dale, when are you competing? I'd like to see you.

tjwingchun, I'll tell him when I see him. Are you anywhere near Manchester? That's where Alan said he's from.
    PR
    Nope Felling, Gateshead is just over the river from Newcastle where I think he was from, but cannot swear by that.

Much of the time the class was run by a senior student Alec Au, when Alan was off furthering his personal Wing Chun knowledge.

I know he trained a bit in Manchester and was a friend of Danny Connor who was from there, Danny was a canny lad who unfortunately died in 2000, but he did much to promote all the MA's in the UK, Karate and Tai Chi, as well as Wing Chun. It was only a few years back that one of Alan's associates also died, John Darwin from Preston, another genuine character who was instrumental in getting Wing Chun off the ground in the UK.

Just glad to hear that Alan is still fighting fit as I heard quite some years ago from Danny that he suffered a very serious illness.

I was training the same time as Kevin Steele and Alan Agar, who Alan might remember, Alan Agar still teaches in the North East, whereas the last time I talked to Kevin he was living in Hong Kong and working for Alec Au I believe.

Hope you have a good meet, its what the Wing Chun community needs more dialogue across the so-called different styles, we should be celebrating personal differences/abilities accepting their skills and learning from them.
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

when are you competing?
    I'll be competing in the sub-grappling tourney. I'll probably be doing two or three different divisions in the advanced category.

I haven't yet decided about the BJJ tournament. If I do compete there, you'll be able to find me in the black belt matches.

Not sure which tourney is on Saturday and which is on Sunday... need to find that out.

What days will you be there?

Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I'll be competing in the sub-grappling tourney. I'll probably be doing two or three different divisions in the advanced category.

I haven't yet decided about the BJJ tournament. If I do compete there, you'll be able to find me in the black belt matches.

Not sure which tourney is on Saturday and which is on Sunday... need to find that out.

What days will you be there?
    I'll be there all three days. I left you a voice message this morning.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun
    . . . . . Hope you have a good meet, its what the Wing Chun community needs more dialogue across the so-called different styles, we should be celebrating personal differences/abilities accepting their skills and learning from them.
    I agree with you. I have friends in all "styles" of WC.
    You may be right. Alan may be from Newcastle and only taught in Manchester. I'll pass the names onto him when I see him. He just called me while I was at the Kuoshu tourney in MD. I actually saw kung fu people who could fight full contact standup there. Go figure . . .
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Are there going to be any fellow intermediate students coming? I'd like to get a feel for the hands of some other WC schools without getting tossed around like a sack of potatoes for 10 minutes straight.

KF,

I just wanted to wish you the best in your upcoming competitions!

I got to hang out with Gary Lam, Alan Lamb, Ernie, Matrix, and the very popular , Dale Frank while in L.A. Thanks to them all for their hospitality.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr