Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Kung fu Meet and Greet

Southern Kung fu Meet and Greet

New York City

Hi all. I'm organizing a hangout with southern kung fu shorthand players. What I mean by organzing is that we're all just going to meet up, in the city I guess, talk and chi sao/roll/touch hands or whatever it is you guys do.

We should plan it for a Sunday since I'm stuck for the next six thousand Saturdays. Thanks, Nick.

Wing chun, Bak Mei, Southern Mantis, come one come all. I guess we can hang in one of those parks in Chinatown.

Let's do it sometime this month on a Sunday.

I would like to take this chance to stress that this is friendly. My friend who studies Ba Gua told me a story of how someone he knew went to play ba gua push hands. It started out friendly but when Guy A couldn't get the better of Guy B, Guy A started doing stupid things. He started attempting cheap shots, used a lot of power, etc. Guy B, not realizing the other man's anger, reacted and HURT Guy A. Maybe Guy A got what he deserved but let's be civil. And in case you guys were wondering, women are allowed to come as well. The person who shows up last buys us all lunch! No cameras please. That's kinda gay and plus I don't want to be filmed.

Radical!

RSVP here. How about this Sunday or the next?
    Last edited by travelsbyknight; 07-20-2006 at 03:49 PM.
    A penny saved is... not much.

possible dates and other last minutos

July 22, 29. Or August 5th. Those are all Sundays.

I realize it's probably going to be hot out that day but hey...that's why it's called kung fu.

Also remember to leave your phoenix fists and biu gees in your pockets that day. We won't be needing those.

Your profile doesnt state where in the world you are. Can you specify a state, country, etc?

New York

I'm located in New York. How did I forget the location? I figure we can meet in the city somewhere. I've been in New York my whole life so I guessed I assumed everyone would know what "the city" meant.

Good job!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    a bunch of us did this years ago from the southern fist forums. We met in NYC's Chinatown. We got to meet n greet, attach some faces to the names. We created what became known as "The Gathering" and what we loosely refer to as Mo Lum Yat Ga.
    We originally simply spoke of and compared key concepts of our respective styles-bridging, footwork, etc. Some light, cooperative crossing of hands-simply to demonstrate a point-you know the deal. Well, we then started meeting at my friend's kwoon, almost on a monthly basis. Friendships were made-deep friendships, and as we gathered more and more-little by little it simply became this tight group of friends.
    The main thing is that we now get together and have this think tank, or lab, where we get to throw ideas out, invite guests,exchange knowledge, train together,eat together,play together. Our arts have grown, our knowledge has grown, our lives have been enriched by the friendships we've made.
    You guys should by all means do this. My friend's teacher, a sixty-something yr old, said he hadn't seen so much free sharing without egos, since Jing-Mo.

Thats very cool--Im jealous.

Sounds good to me, since i'm back in NYC now.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

awesome

Thanks for all the replies to my subject. You wouldn't believe how many people sent me private messages! Most didn't want to talk about this in public. We're setting the date for either this Sunday or next Sunday in Chinatown, around 10am probably. The dates are as follows: July 30th/August 6th.

Please private message me confirmation on one of these dates and the day with the most attendees will be the day. Sorry. If anyone else is interested then you can private message me as well. Thanks.

where?

At the running track next to the school or down in the lowers next to the handball courts?

Or perhaps at Columbus Park on the new astroturf?

Quote Originally Posted by travelsbyknight
    Thanks for all the replies to my subject. You wouldn't believe how many people sent me private messages! Most didn't want to talk about this in public. We're setting the date for either this Sunday or next Sunday in Chinatown, around 10am probably. The dates are as follows: July 30th/August 6th.

Please private message me confirmation on one of these dates and the day with the most attendees will be the day. Sorry. If anyone else is interested then you can private message me as well. Thanks.

I know you said pm you, but either date is good for me, just let me know where.

I'll be there....are we bringing anything food, drinks, etc...?

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

date, time address??

lol Take some footage and show the people that cant make it what you all are doing?

No cameras please its suposed to be friendly and sharing, share to us that cant make it huh?!

I'm interested in going..who is planning on being there??

I'm coming.

Can you tell me who else is coming? Just want to know if I know anyone else there? You can PM me or list them here..no difference to me.

Also, is everyone a sifu/teacher? I assume these are all experienced players, no?

I'll be there around 10:15 am. Probably head to Mandarin Court for a quick bite about 9:30 if anyone is interested. Might be good to meet and chat first before we start getting down...

See you tomorrow.

hello all

I was at the park until 12:30. I'm not sure if anyone showed up since I had no idea what you all looked like. So I sat around watching a kung fu class being taught.

Maybe next time