Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My first cage fight

It's all a learning experience. Ray did what most guys talk about and criticise other fighters for but never actually do themselves. The key is to learn from his mistakes. With a little knowledge of the ground game Ray would have easily gotten away from that guy.

The fact is that guy was pretty crappy himself on the ground. If that guy really new the ground game he would have easily transiitioned from side control to a full mount as there was no blocking present or he could have easily gone for a better submission, instead he went for a corny neck crank/choke.

Anyone bashing ray is retarded...think you are better, then get in the cage and prove it. Like I said all he has to do is learn the basics on the ground, tighten up the standup game and he'll be fine. Only other suggestion would be to get a corner man. If Ray had a knowledgeable corner man he could have easily been guided out of that bad position.

peace...the roaming warrior!

Well for the record I'm not bashing Ray. I'm not going to do cage fights because that's not my interest, but if he's interested and wants to win it seems like he needs the best coach around.

^If he is going to fight MMA more often he is definitely going to need an training in a couple of things. Definitely needs to pick up some ground skills, even if its just submission defense, or learn how to avoid takedowns and sprawl. even if he doesn't want to do the thai boxing, western boxing should be incorporated for movement, and better punching techniques. the more you learn the better.

Due to irreconcilable differences with my master (ridiculous **** happened this weekend), I’ll be checking out the Gracie academy Tuesday night.

I have no hard feelings towards my master – his hands are great and I think I got the gist of it – but if I stay one more day I might. I just can’t go to the next level there. Not because of his skill, but because there are no other fighters there.

Hopefully Renzo can do for my ground what my master did for my standup.

Kind of refreshing to not have a master anymore. Free to fight how I want, without having to form to some ideal.

Ray I think this will turn out to be the best move you could make if you wish to continue fighting. Everyone trains and does things for different reasons and it is extremely important if you are going to fight to have a supportive environment

I am always amazed when I am at these events and guys have no one to wrap their hands, close a cut or work their corner. Climbing in that cage is a lonely enough walk it is always nice to have a support structure.

Quote Originally Posted by mbkickboxer View Post
    It's all a learning experience. Ray did what most guys talk about and criticise other fighters for but never actually do themselves. The key is to learn from his mistakes. With a little knowledge of the ground game Ray would have easily gotten away from that guy.

The fact is that guy was pretty crappy himself on the ground. If that guy really new the ground game he would have easily transiitioned from side control to a full mount as there was no blocking present or he could have easily gone for a better submission, instead he went for a corny neck crank/choke.

Anyone bashing ray is retarded...think you are better, then get in the cage and prove it. Like I said all he has to do is learn the basics on the ground, tighten up the standup game and he'll be fine. Only other suggestion would be to get a corner man. If Ray had a knowledgeable corner man he could have easily been guided out of that bad position.

peace...the roaming warrior!

Most of us giving advice - not bashing - HAVE fought in some aspect, be it san shou, thai boxing, mma, boxing, etc. or are very competition minded. There is a huge difference between giving advice and bashing.

And he couldn't have been guided out of his position without grappling knowledge. that's #1. next would be having a corner, IMO.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PhilDunlap View Post
    Ray I think this will turn out to be the best move you could make if you wish to continue fighting. Everyone trains and does things for different reasons and it is extremely important if you are going to fight to have a supportive environment

I am always amazed when I am at these events and guys have no one to wrap their hands, close a cut or work their corner. Climbing in that cage is a lonely enough walk it is always nice to have a support structure.

agreed.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'd like to say one thing in defense of myself AND, most importantly, the other guy.

I've receieved letters saying with a little ground game I could have won because the other guy was obviously no good, he should have mounted, etc.

Let me say this: I've fought on the street, in the ring, in back rooms and now in the cage. Each one has its own feel and pace.

For myself, I do actually have a ground game. I know submissions and escapes and I have worked them against NAGA champions.

As for the other guy, his side mount was powerful (I know, I was there and have played with plenty to compare it with). I feel he was best where he was. The rules did not allow face strikes and I was well prepared to roll with an arm bar. I actually have a lot of traps to set from there.

He had good position and was working me.

As for judging people's skill from 1:54 of video, how bad did Royce look against Matt Hughes? If he wasn't Royce and posted that footage here, everyone would be telling him to go train BJJ.

**** happens in fights. Chances are, guys going out to fight know what all of us know. They're just putting themselves in the position to fail.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 09-11-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilDunlap View Post
    Ray I think this will turn out to be the best move you could make

Yea. I think so too.

Bummed things turned out the way they did with my master, but I feel refreshed knowing I'm starting a new phase on my path as a martial artists.

Thanks

check your pm box, ray.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Ray, did you ever mention who your master was or what style he teaches?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

I could have won because the other guy was obviously no good, he should have mounted, etc.
    I know this isn't Ray saying this, but I have to commet. To all the arm chair and keyboard warriors, the "other guy" is John Benson Salgado who before joining NY San Da had a three round war with Tim O'Connor. Tim has KO'd in the first round 5 of his other 7 opponents.

Since joining NY San Da, John is now 2-0. In addition to beating Ray, he beat a very game fighter from Brad Daddis camp. They are BJJ fighters with Rigel as their Muay Thai coach. IE they are tough SOB's....

Currently, John is getting his stand up from Tim O'Connor and me and his ground work from Carmine Zocchi, BJJ brown belt, 12 years experience and also a decorated competitor

It's absurd for you to think John is "weak" from the vantage point of your padded chairs....

To Ray: best of luck, I think you will be better for it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks Coach.

I got to say, your man had a very strong mount.

Ray,

Congrats. I think you will be happy that you made a move. You'll have much more in common with your training partners and the evironment will be more constructive towards your goals.

I agree that nobody can say that the guy was no good on the ground. It really is impossible to tell from a limitted clip like that. I think all guys like Sevenstar, myself, etc were saying was that you need to train with other fighters and with a coach familiar with the game. Best of luck in the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Ray, did you ever mention who your master was or what style he teaches?
    He's mentioned it several times, though maybe not on this thread.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter