Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mantis injuries

mantis injuries

On the other thread people started talking about injury,what's your mantis injury?
    We all have them from sparring,fighting,weapons, forms 2 man sets,so let's hear them.
    Me nothing to bad right knee little mantis form, wahlum.Took about 6 months to get it back.

I guess I'm one of the lucky Wah Lum students who's never suffered a significant injury, though lord knows I've been at it long enough. Only 2 things that have ever caused me to miss more than 1 or 2 classes have been the result of my own stupidity:

1. demonstrating "proper" sweeping technique while looking at the class I was teaching over my shoulder as I made a point, I creamed the base of one of those free-standing heavy bags and mashed a bunch of toes. I still cringe when the guy in Kung Pow says 'after all, nobody wants to lose any toes!".
    2. during a fighting competition in Ft. Lauderdale, I turned my back and walked away when the referee stepped between me and my opponent and called 'break'. Very stupid on my part. He saw it as the perfect opportunity to round-house kick me in the ribs from behind, breaking 2. He was disqualified. I was done for the day.

That's it for my tales of woe, and like I said, I'm forced to accept responsibility for both. Everything else I've stabbed myself with, bludgeoned myself with, fallen off of, and the occassional mandatory fighting-related groin kicks I've been on the wrong side of, I've recovered from in time for the next class. I'm sure the very next post will top mine easily.

- CS

Got a goose egg on my forehead from the butt end of my staff while learning yum sau gwun.

A rash of shoulder problems as of late. Our system consists of many two person material, forms, drills, theory etc. With all the pounding I guess something has to give.

I stabbed myself over the weekend teaching spear to Oso`s group, my wife kissed it and made it better.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Some of the older WL guys will remember a certain crazy guy that accidentally stabbbed himself in the leg while doing Double Daggers.

The funniest is an insult instead of injury. One of the guys was practicing Fatal Flute and MC walked by, stopped and watched him, then grabbed the Flute from him and threw it out the door and walked off.

Ha, better you don't quit your day job!

In sparring class we've also had a broken ankle from a leg sweep and a KO amongst the list of the usual infuries.

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    A rash of shoulder problems as of late. Our system consists of many two person material, forms, drills, theory etc. With all the pounding I guess something has to give.
    Time for some Tai Chi maybe?

18 Elders has stabbed me a few times doing double dagger vs empty hand. We use to do this form at New Years, one time in particular in St. Pete, I bled like a pig.

Yao some Yin is a good thing.

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

My right knee doing xaio hu yan.

badly strained lower back muscles doing a tornado kick...

3 weeks and it still hurts

craig

Yu shan

As i remember it, you put your arm it the way of the dagger, then squealed like a pig, then bled like one!!!
    Only joking, there was no squealing from Yu shan, i think i noticed the blood before he did.

right now, my calf's are sore

Man, I really feel for ya there dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    The funniest is an insult instead of injury. One of the guys was practicing Fatal Flute and MC walked by, stopped and watched him, then grabbed the Flute from him and threw it out the door and walked off.
    Man, that is so totally old school. I can picture that. Classic

18, after performing the set, lined up and looked out at the crowd. They all had this horrific look on there faces about that time is when I noticed the warm sensation running down my arm. I can picture P. Chan hurling the flute. Remember the day we were practicing a two man stick set and I missed a block and got hit in the face. Chan laughed all the way to his office. And then there was the fire wheel incidence, geez.

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    Remember the day we were practicing a two man stick set and I missed a block and got hit in the face. Chan laughed all the way to his office. And then there was the fire wheel incidence, geez.
    Reminds me of the time I was doing two man stick and my partner did the wrong move. I blocked high while he whacked my shin with his ironwood stick.

As a matter of fact that happened with stick vs broadsword. I was doing stick and my partnered srewed up and hacked my leg with the broadsword. That's the problem with 2-man sets. It's rote learning and you automatically follow one move with the next. If one person screws up you're too busy following the pattern to protect yourself.