"I have come to realise that the grading system and sashes are really quite irrelevant. Is it just a western thing that we like to be rewarded and to show other people where we stand/a hierarchy in schools?"

It was my understanding that the belt system was developed by Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo. Does anyone know if he did this for the sake of teaching Americans or did he develop it in Japan before introducing Judo to the US.

I'm sure you'll correct me if my facts are wrong on any of this.

Another thing, if the belt system was created to cater to the American ego, as some of you imply, what do they do in Karate schools in Japan? I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that a Kyokshin school in Japan would have the same ranking system as that in America, since the schools are governed by the same organization. It would seem....and this is just me.....that they have a sense of achievement as well. Do Colleges in other countries offer degrees or do students just pay, learn, and leave without getting a diploma?

I don't think that a blanket statement like "american's like to be rewarded" makes sense in light of this. It's kind of like the common belief that all Americans are out of shape......I happen to be in great shape. I think that it's up to the individual's mindset how much emphasis they place on rank. You can't control that. Some people are superficial and some are not. But, the rank system is a necessary evil.