Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Palms only kung fu styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Ok, so what's the easiest and fastest to learn kung fu style out there that doesn't have throws joint locks and high kicks and too much hand conditioning?

Reply]
    You are not going to find that. All striking styles require hand conditioning. All Kung Fu has throws and joint locks. ALL martial arts require effort, and hard training to get good at. There is no way around that. Hand conditioning is really the easiest aspect of it anyway. The herbs you use deaden any pain involved in the training (not that there is much of that if done right, but...). If you are afraid of the hand conditioining aspect, then you really don't have the intestinal fortitude to get good at ANY physical discapline, let alone any kind of Kung Fu. I sugjest you eat a lot, watch TV alot and get Fat...it's about all you can handle.

As for learning a Rare art, good luck. It's rare, you are going to be lucky to find it....

Kicks in Southern Tai Tzu are all low, few waist high, but the rest are low, to the knees and such. It fits that requirement for you.

Now, for something that is good, and gets you up to fighting speed quick, there are a number of choices. I myself would recomend Southern Tai Tzu Quan. it is a system developed in the late Sung dynasty to rapidly rebuild troops. It's like basic training. It's popular around Fuzian provence, but rather rare elswhere in the world, especially the USA. (Outside of me, Good luck finding it)

It is a small system, with only 8 really short forms. The first 5-6 are essential, and the final 2 are only taught to closed door desciples. With full time training (6-8 hours a day 5-6 days a week), it can be mastered in 3 years or so. Of course it may take you 3-4 years to develop the physical conditioning neded to train that long and hard in the first place but that is another story....

If you are going to train part time, like 3-4 hours a day lets say, you can be pretty darn good in 3 years with this system.

If all you do is 1 hour 3X a week because this is just a hobby to you, you will still have reliable and effective self defence abilities in 3 years. You just won't be much compared to someone doing the art for 3 years who puts in thier 3-4 hours a day...

The style requires hard training though, there is just no getting around that, in any art. The nice part about this perticular style is that it will function, even before you get the body mechanics right. So if you put a few hours in of training 5-6 days a week, you can have a really good, functional fighting system inside of 18 months. Of course, thats a lot hard work, and you don't seem interested in working hard.

If you develop a good work ethic though, and want a truely rare style, I'm in Chicago. I have the core of the system, just not the last 2 closed door sets as I don't have the means to move to Fuzian, or Taiwwan and become a dsciple to learn them (Not to mention I don't have the motivation)

Wow, this sounds great, and its 1000 year's old! That's even better!! I love old rare styles, the older, the better, the rarer the better! And it small!!

Wow, i don't believe this.

I'll have to do a search and ask around for this. If its from southern China, there might someone teaching it here in the Philippines.

You're lucky to find such a rare easy and old style, especially in the USA.
    the path to righteousness is straight and narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    A 9mm and about 6 months practice sounds like thats what you need.
    I plan to do that too. But i still want to learn real lethal kung fu.

Garry, i always thought iron palm was a training method and not a distinct kung fu style.

The style is not easy though, it's a LOT of hard work, just like any other style. It's just a really small curicculem, so it does not take a lot time to master due to it's lack of material. It's a pretty boring style though, as there is not much to learn, and work on. It's mostly basics, basics, basics. When you are done with that, you drill basics.

If you are in the Philipines, you should find it down there. If not it is contained in a style known ast the Five Ancestor's fist as well, so look for that too. Tai Tzu Quan practitioners were instermental in the creation of Five Ancestor's Fist. It is a more comperhensive style, and not so boring.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

in Manila Chinatown you can find many styles...
    5 Ancestors Alex Co
    7 star Mantis
    White crane
    Hung Gar.....

wing chun

well apart from only using palm strikes wing chun has what u asking of it,,,it is easy to learn(compared to other kung fu styles)but still requires work.and you dont need alot of hand conditioning,maybe u should try one of the more modern approaches to wing chun but make sure it is a established club...

strangely enough theres no wing chun in the philippines..I think theres a jeet kuen do school in Malate...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Greetings, i haven't been here for a long time, anyway i've always wanted to learn kung fu but most of it is too hard, so i've been thinking hard and i figured i already know what type of kung would suit me.

I want to study an easy but uncommon kung fu style, so the kung fu style that would suit me would have to be

1. palms or palm strikes only ( reduced conditioning)
    2. external ( much easier than internal)
    3. no acrobatics and high kicks.
    4. little or few kicks at all.( hands are much easier)
    5. short range( long range is much harder)
    6. easy footwork.
    7. no throws or joint locks, just strikes.
    8. multiple attacks rather than single attacks(easier because you don't have to learn to generate so much power in a single hit)

So is there such a kung fu style?

Thanks.
    Seems like you are looking for a Kung Fu style wich is easy to learn and dont take much practise... Sorry there are no such martial art! If you want to learn Kung Fu you have to put everything into it, there are no half-way Kung Fu style...!

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    in Manila Chinatown you can find many styles...
    5 Ancestors Alex Co
    7 star Mantis
    White crane
    Hung Gar.....
    I think Ling Nam athletic club teaches 7 star mantis. You practise lau family hung family fist , right? That's a cantonese style right?

Between 7 star mantis and southern mantis, i prefer the southern one because its supposedly easier and faster to learn than 7 star.

What kind of white crane? Fujian or Tibetan?

I've seen Alex Co's book on ngo cho kun. Looks pretty good. But one style is hard enough to learn, learning five at the same time is .

I never liked combo styles, like tai chi mantis, five animals fist , five family fist, mei hua mantis, drunken monkey, hung fut kuen, they just make things more difficult and more complex, and single kung fu styles are difficult and complex enough as it is.

Another thing about your style, i know that the original Hung family fist is a very large system, with lots of forms and lots of techniques and weapons, is the lau family version just as big and broad?

What do you think of the Wushu Federation of the Philippines?, do they teach real kung fu or just performance Wushu, you know the one with the building near Harrison Plaza.

well apart from only using palm strikes wing chun has what u asking of it,,,it is easy to learn(compared to other kung fu styles)but still requires work.and you dont need alot of hand conditioning,maybe u should try one of the more modern approaches to wing chun but make sure it is a established club...

I've seen wing chun, it looks great, and it does seem easier to learn, its external, no high kicks, short range fighting, but unfortunately its also the most common kung fu style in the world, and they have this weird lineage war going on, which really makes things very confusing.

Theres a magzine here in the Philippines called Rapid, its a local martial arts magazine, and in one article i've seen a long time ago, featured wing chun, so i guess wing chun is taught in the Philippines too, but i don't know where.

So i guess we now have southern tai tzu and wing chun in the list of

" kung fu styles that are easier than most other kung fu styles "

Any of you guys ever heard of assasin's fist ?

hey,

again no Kung Fu style is easy..hung gar has 4 pillar forms and in addition many other forms..those other forms I dont teach here only the 4 pillar forms and in the first year only the gung gee fuk fu kuen...we rather concentrate on conditioning and techniques..we also only use low kicks as in wing chun..Hung Gar is a southern chinese style indeed..right now i only teach on saturdays in ongpin..
    for more lau fam hung gar visit www.laufamilyhunggar.com

The school near harrison is modern wushu..not sure but I think they also do sanda..

there used to be wing chun in the phils but the teacher came from abroad and left the country I been told...alliknow is that there isnt a public wc school..not in manila

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    hey,

again no Kung Fu style is easy..hung gar has 4 pillar forms and in addition many other forms..those other forms I dont teach here only the 4 pillar forms and in the first year only the gung gee fuk fu kuen...we rather concentrate on conditioning and techniques..we also only use low kicks as in wing chun..Hung Gar is a southern chinese style indeed..right now i only teach on saturdays in ongpin..
    for more lau fam hung gar visit www.laufamilyhunggar.com

The school near harrison is modern wushu..not sure but I think they also do sanda..

there used to be wing chun in the phils but the teacher came from abroad and left the country I been told...alliknow is that there isnt a public wc school..not in manila
    Nice site, isn't Lau Kar Leung the guy from the Way of the Scorpion movie?

PLEASE tell me this thread is a joke...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ha ha ha. A rare kung fu system and easy to learn.

I have one for you...it's called Triad Assasin Gun Fu.

You take a 9mm...preferably a glock and practice shooting in 3 months you will be black sash master.

Ok go!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Ok, so what's the easiest and fastest to learn kung fu style out there that doesn't have throws joint locks and high kicks and too much hand conditioning?
    HEY PARE...lolz lay offf the shabu (if your pinoy u know what i mean) kung fu means hard work ... take it as it is...lolz.. u funny ass pinoy and i thought i was silly..lolz **** u must be on a good one..and i've been a member here for quite sometimes your the only one that made me post..lolz..

Hello wolfkiller,

By not studying those disciplines and fighting ranges you will be a lamb amongst wolves.

I did a lot of slap boxing when I was in elementary school, something that seems to fit your composite. And I was good at it too; yet, I KNOW it is not enough for an experienced fighter. It is great for training reflexes, though.

If you have some friends who are martial artists, play them using your palms only. Do not grab them, lock them nor try to throw them. See what happens. Heck! Try to find a martial artist who is wheel chairbound, palsied, or blind. Play them. I think you will be in for an awakening that will cause you to reassess what your needs really are.

mickey

wolfkiller. Did you read this?

"You harbor a common beginner’s misconception: that there is some sort of secret that turns you into Wong Fei Hung without effort. That's ok though. Now, you have to let go of that. The truth is that it takes hard work and the correct attitude to become good at Kung Fu. If you look at history, Kung Fu fighters were often individuals who would of likely been tough with or without martial arts. Kung Fu was used for life and death combat. Training wasn't a luxury, but a tool of survival. They trained hard and with combat in mind. To gain skill, you to must train hard and with combat in mind. It's as simple as that. There are no magical martial arts elixirs. Gong Fu means "Time and Effort". You get what you put in. If you want results, train hard and with the right attitude. Also, my previous advice remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Forget about what's rare, popular, or considered cool. Find yourself a good teacher and choose a style that suits you.
    Lastly, don't worry about your age."
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-31-2006 at 11:58 AM.