Thread: Gloves

Gloves

What gloves are good for amatuer san shou competition? I'm getting a new pair of gloves, but can't decide what to buy.
    Last edited by LynyrdSkynyrd; 11-02-2006 at 08:56 AM.

14 oz is a good weight glove for sanshou, but the specific competition will determine the rules. As you saw in Akron, there were some fights of people wearing 16oz gloves vs. people with 10oz, so they were really not very concerned. Other competitions are.
    Bless you

Thanks, but I mean what brand.

Well the event should provide the competition gloves, if not I'd be kinda nervous about competing there.

When it comes to boxing gloves my 2 favorites right now are Grant and Classic (Zepol). For sanshou practise, you can't go wrong with Twins. I believe most amateur competitions tend to use Ringside, Everlast, Windy, or Twins.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I sprung for some 14-oz Fairtex gloves and they are totally sweet.

i would go for either twins, fairtex or windy all 14oz.

for training you should get a heavier glove 16 oz and you will notice the difference when punching with a lighter glove.

if youre a puncher, i suggest reyes, but they cost a pretty penny.

for a cheap but good quality glove, try combat sports , good gloves i used those before

ringside has a 14oz but its too bulky for me

the everlast has the thumb to the side of the glove, which is uncomfortable when making a fist.
    Last edited by hjt; 11-02-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks right now I'm liking the Fairtex gloves, but the Twins are pretty nice too.

Not to sound stupid, but if I'm getting a pair of 14 oz. to train then wouldn't it be better to compete with a pair of 12 oz.?

depending on the event
    some compete with 14oz gloves others with 12 oz and 10oz but most are 14oz,

i ve used 14oz gloves to train with, for 2 reaons hand speed and protecting my hands
    for training you cant go wrong with 14 or 16 oz gloves

only drawback about wearing boxing gloves you cant tiger palm or tiger claw someone hahahahaha jk
    Last edited by hjt; 11-03-2006 at 08:51 AM.

I think I'm going to get a pair of Twins because they look nice and they were recommended. Plus they're cheaper than the Fairtex gloves I was thinking of buying.