Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WSL Knives video

Download

This may sound like a real silly question, but how do I open the file? I get to the part that says save or open, I then open it, then I get a zip window that ask me if I want to unzip it. After I unzip it, nothing happens?!?!?!?!?!

Any suggestions?!?!?!? They would be highly appreciated.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

John,

The EXE file should extract another file by the same name with another extension. In this case, it's KNIVES.WMV.

Double-click on, or Open, that file and it should play in the Windows media player.

Bill

Matrix

I appreciate the help, but I must be doing something wrong?!?!? When I hit unzip the only thing that happens is a window pops up and says '1 file succesfully unzipped', and it has an 'ok' button. I hit the ok button and nothing happens.

I will try it a few more time, though computer tinkering isn't my strongest quality. LOL!!!!!
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

When you run the UNZIP, it should indicate where the file is being extracted to. You can just do a search for KNIVES.WMV on your computer to find. I have a feeling that you've extracted it already.

Then open the .WMV file, you don't need the EXE file anymore....

Bill

Matrix

Thanks, I am searching now.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Hello Joy & Friends,

It is not easy to share these days without somebody being offended....everybody has a face to save.

In 1980, I was told by late Wong Chok to abandon his eight section BJD that he learned and do my best to learn WSL's sections.

Sadly, by this date (May 1980), Wong Chok had already shown a number of Yip Man's other students. But Wong Chok was already suffering from terminal liver cancer and did not have the time to learn WSL's knowledge. Hence Wong Chok had no time to correct his other gung-fu brothers/friends that he had shared with in the previous years.

The story told to me (by WSL and Yeun) was that only Yip Po Ching and WSL were shown the entire system with Ho Kam Ming knowing a good amount. Yip Po Ching died early and Yip Man made the younger WSL the keeper of the blade system.

Back to my 1980 month long stay in HK - after a night of discussion between Wong Chok and WSL my mind was full of corrections. Again too many new methods and corrections.
    A few days later, I met Yeun Yim Keung, WSL's long time student and we became friends. He apparently heard about the WSL and Wong Chok discussion and told me not to get disheartened. The weapons secrets should have been shared by YM but were instead kept to a few. With Yeun's first words in HK and his visit to my city the following year I started learning the new blade system.

Despite Yeun's guidance, all the new blade techniques were too much for me and I got overwhelmed. I had a difficult time unraveling all of Wong Chok's methods - much of which I really liked. Things got messy and I went ahead on my own to try to include both versions but this only made things worse! A big mess....! Finally 16 years later (in 1996), I decided that I needed to clean house and completely adopt the WSL methods. This required many more trips to HK and thousands of dollars, but I have no regrets- none. Again, I am grateful to Yeun, who helped me reshape myself over the next four years.

Here is a very "brief/quick" outline of WSL curriculum:

Two person short touch drills (you need a partner or two)
    Base+12 sections - stepped blade maneuvers
    Partnered drills from each section

Here is a very "brief/quick" outline of WSL curriculum:

Two person short touch drills (you need a partner ot two)
    Base+12 sections - stepped blade manuevers
    Partnered drills from each section

Base:
    Turning the body (feet together)
    Short slant kick
    Splitting the blades
    Tse - Tan - Jum & Short chops (Cham)
    >>>>many....many...many weeks of of short stepping and blade touching drills<<<<<<

Section 1:
    Gaun do & Lan Kwan Do

Section 2:
    Gaun Do - Jum Do - Tse Do (vertical blade stab) - Cham Do

Section 3:
    Gaun Do - Jum Do - Tse Do (horizontal blade stab/deflect) - Naang Cham Do (cut from below)

Section 4:
    Bong Do

Section 5:
    Ding Do /// Yat Jee Do

Section 6:
    Biu Do ///jong Do

Section 7:
    Jut-Tse Do

Section 8:
    Nong Cham Do /// Heung Do

Section 9:
    Ding Kwan Do

Section 10:
    Tse-Jut-Tan Do

Section 11:
    Gwun Do - Guan Do

Section 12:
    Mun Do

Interested WC instructors should make contact with WSL's senior students who are now teaching on their own and explore the possibility of learning the blade system. I believe Gary Lam now lives in LA and there is another WSL follower in San Diego (forgot the name). Peterson lives in Austrailia and others live in England, and Germany. I here good things about all of them. . . .

Cheers to all,
    JD

PS. Joy - I will be in Seattle in either March or July - Not sure yet. Wong Long Ching will be in LA in July 2005 and I will visit with him.

The story told to me (by WSL and Yeun) was that only Yip Po Ching and WSL were shown the entire system with Ho Kam Ming knowing a good amount. Yip Po Ching died early and Yip Man made the younger WSL the keeper of the blade system.(John D)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John-

Not quite the way I heard.But at the end of the day- does not matter. WSL and HKM learned the knives privately and separately.
    I have nothing but respect for both and they respected each other. WSL is gone and HKM is giving his last retirement seminar in Tucson August 21,and 22.

John D

nice to share , very cool
    i study with gary and your right there are differences
    so much so that gary teaches the knives in two forms
    one basic yip man
    and wong's version
    wong's expression of the blades is much more dynamic and alive
    were yip's version is more fixed and structured

i'll run your list by gary and see what he has to say

again cool thing man
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WSL is gone and HKM is giving his last retirement seminar in Tucson August 21,and 22. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Joy,

Don't forget about in Ottawa, the week before ;-)

patrick Gordon.

Is HKM planning to do any DO work for his last seminar? I might have to find an excuse to sneak out of work and fly 3000 miles........

John D.:

Master Ho's do form is complete and impressive and also inherited from extensive private lessons with Ip Man. And he knows the applications as well.

I have done 3000 plus many times in the pursuit of the
    incredible yim wing chun.

The seminar is Master Ho's summing up of almost half a century of wing chun. Very likely that at some point in the seminar he will
    have a student of his some show bjd work... with its very mobile footwork.It's Master Ho's agenda---so the the flow of the details is upto him.

There wont be any last minute door registration. See
    <www.fongswingchun.com> for more info.

Patrick- thanks for reminding folks about the Ottawa gathering as well.

Joy Chaudhuri

I hope you will enjoy this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB79TzHZKT0

Times change....

My Master and Wong Sifu were good friends back in the day. Sifu mentioned on many occasions that he and Sifu Wong would wait at a tea house for Gm Ip to arrive and WSL more often than not would have his Blades tucked into his belt around his waist because of the rivalry between Kung Fu schools...

How times have changed huh...LOL
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Kikko View Post
    Regardless of how "authentic" that form may be, could anyone actually improve their fighting skills in any way whatsoever by practicing like that?
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by Kikko View Post
    Yup, sure did!

+ red wig = Napoleon Dynamite!

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan