Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Be Real

I'm glad you are so easily amused

Much of what CTS taught was fantastic, but stuck in TMA mode, he also taught a lot of worthless time wasting stuff.... that's exactly the problem with CMA, good stuff wrapped up in bad stuff, and often people can't tell the diamond from the coal
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

It must be nice not having to answer to anyone anymore.

Inventing your own system, doing what you feel like, like a vacation.

So what was the "bad stuff" your teacher wasted your time with?

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

It must be nice not having to answer to anyone anymore.
    I must have missed the fine print that said "study Chinese martial art and you become a slave"?

Inventing your own system, doing what you feel like, like a vacation.
    I didn't invent anything. CTS taught San Da, if you want to call it "fighting" that is on you really, he was a military hand-to-hand (san da) instructor. That he taught forms, weapons and other TMA things didn't change that. And that I simply focus on the other aspect is no big deal...

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I must have missed the fine print that said "study Chinese martial art and you become a slave"?
    I doubt that your teacher felt like he was wasting your time with what you call "fluff". Unless of course he thought you a rice bag at one point too.

I didn't invent anything. CTS taught San Da, if you want to call it "fighting" that is on you really, he was a military hand-to-hand (san da) instructor. That he taught forms, weapons and other TMA things didn't change that. And that I simply focus on the other aspect is no big deal...
    Again, I doubt he felt they were a waste of time.

it's called San Da.....
    Yeah, it was kind of dense of me to overlook it. But my experience with san shou is that it doesn't always have to do with CMA. My coach is a Cung Le student, so none of the techniques I practice in that class come from CMA. We just spar with the Chinese rules.

someone in your family line probably believed the world was flat at some point, or that the earth was the center of the universe, does that obligate you to hold those views

UFC vs CMA

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    Because 99% of CMAers are not anywhere near the skill level of ufc guys. No exageration. Think what you want as to why this is the case (ie, kung fu attracts nerds, cma schools on average don't train right at all etc.).
    Thank you streetfighter.

It is sad that a 17 year old is the only one brave enough to state the truth.

I was hoping someone would state the truth...[]bWhen The UFC first started somwtime around 1993 it quickly showed the ineptness of most Traditional MA
    when it came to real no-holds-barred fighting.[/b] I thought it would put alot more Karate Schools out of business than it did.

The few TMA fighters that entered the early UFC matches were slaughtered.
    I remember watching one particuliar Tai Kwan Do guy get knocked to the ground in about 45 seconds of the first round....the look of surprise and embarrassment on his bloodied face made me sad. Thankfully the Striker fighting him ended it quickly before the poor guy got seriously injured.

A Hsing I "master' also got knocked out in the first minute of the first round.

Soon....the combination of Gracie's dominance and the obvious failure of TMA
    put an end to the TMA artists or masters even entering the Event.

Alot has changed as the UFC has progressed...the fighters of today would kill the fighters of the early 1990's.

I say this with sadness, because I really hoped a Gene Chicione, John Allen, Don the Dragon Wilson , or Benny the Jet Uriquees would step up and show that TMA was as effective as Octagon Fighters.

But , like everything else....life evolves and changes.

Its like if we were able to have the 1968 Greenbay Packers play last Years Pittsburg Steelers.....can you imagine the outcome ??????

JDK

So... you're making the argument that because none enter, any TMAist would lose?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    If you think about it, MMA started as a venue and developed into a style. This style picks pieces of Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman Wrestling, BJJ, and maybe some Judo every now and then, and puts them into a blender. If you notice, there is really nothing new about those styles. However, the manner in which they are combined and standardized is. You'll also notice that those styles weren't plagued with the vast number of BSers that you see masquerading as JMA (with the exception of Judo) and CMA. It would seem that they lumped the good (and as far as I'm concerned, the real) JMA and CMA guys with the crap and decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater. So this leads to the question of why don't the good TMA guys step up and show the MMA world that what they have is valuable. I feel the answer is that most stick to the venues associated with their styles. Kung Fu stylists that want to compete will likely enter San Shou. Karateka have their own tournaments. Not to mention, I don't know how large a percentage of good TMA guys care (or even know) what some MMA guys think of them. Most MMA guys probably don't even think about CMA or JMA all that much anyway. I would guess that this whole "MMA vs. TMA" war is mainly an internet thing. After all, have you ever been to a MMA gym where the main topic of discussion is "Kung Fu suxxors!"? Basically, who cares about if Kung Fu stylists enter the UFC or not? Do you practice good, effective martial arts? Do you like your teacher(s)? Do the style(s) suit you? If all of these are a yes, who cares about the negative opinions of some person on an internet forum.
    good post. plus, when kung fu enters the ring, it all becomes the same as what those guys study. kicking, punching, applying stuff on the ground.

many kung fu teachers dont teach fighting methods anymore either. very few infact teach how to fight and keep up the spirit of the fighter. there are those pioneers out there that are trying to save the reputation of kung fu fighters. sifu ross's gym, sifu lee siu hung and joe keit's people, bak shaolin eagle claw people, all these groups are trying to keep the fighting and skills in kung fu. these are only the few i can think of.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 01-07-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

yeah, traditional masters hate fame and $$

There has to be some kind of interest first, don't you think? Whats in it for them? Not much. .

That's just the kind of cop out the thread starter asked to avoid.

nothing to do with wanting to keep your sorry butt in one piece?

I'm not interested in UFC.

LOL! "not interested"! That's funny.

We've had this argument a LOT. It's tiring by now.

Bottom line is if you want to fight UFCs, why don't YOU go fight UFCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzly View Post
    Maybe cause the people who have the egos don't have the skill, and the people with the skills necessary to win a UFC event don't have the ego.
    That's another cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    That's another cop out.
    You know, unkokusai, I assume you're a pathetic troll.

The reason I call you a pathetic troll and not just a troll is you don't really put forward anything you can be attacked on. You just attack others.

How about contributing something to a discussion for once, instead of just dissing others?

To be perfectly REAL, I've gone and checked out the training of the UFC/MMA fighters. We have at least one guy here locally (Ivan Salaverry) who used to train (maybe still does) in Kirkland, at AMC Pankration.

What they do is kickboxing, boxing and grappling.

There are people there who are just average martial arts geeks, if you will. In fact, there were guys there that I ran into at wing chun and silat class.

And then there are the guys who compete.

The only difference seems to be, that the people who compete, a) train for competing, meaning they spend more hours and they train with people who compete, and b) they're a lot more buff. They seem to work out a lot more and have a LOT more muscle mass.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-08-2007 at 12:15 AM.