Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Femmes

Mo lunh yung

Yauh Gung Fu, to have skill. Yes understood this can be attributed to any person whom is skilled be they a carpenter, craftsmen, musician, cook, etc... As we both have mentioned Kung Fu / Gung Fu / Gong Fu is also a common term used in reference to Chinese Martial Arts most commonly in Hong Kong and other parts of South East Asia. Now by attaching Chung Kuo in front that doesn't making it anymore in reference to Chinese Martial Arts other then you are identifying it is Chinese but most already realize it is such if you are calling it Kung Fu. As we talking were about martial arts I kept my defintion limited to that. The thing with translations is it is not always exact but in this case we are both talking about martial arts.

Racist don't know where you got that from? Not even worth addressing!

Now with regards to your other translations Wushu actually does mean Martial Arts in Chinese. Of course if you want to put the term modern or sport in front then many will point a finger and say dancing. But the term used in Mainland is still officially Wushu be it traditional or modern. Now sometimes in the Chinese martial arts press they will interchange the first character Wu with another Chinese character also pronounced Wu which means Dance. This of course in reference to disputed martial validity of modern Wushu. Nonetheless Wushu still means Martial Arts & yes of course you can add Zhong Gou / Chung Kou in front. And they still do have traditional in China. I am seriously wondering if you really do know what you are talking about or maybe you are just referring to wikipedia or something.

60 no! Ask Gene about when the forum went through an overhaul a year or two back and how some of the joining dates were all changed. That & wait the internet hasn't been around since 1969. You don't have the ability for deductive reasoning do you?

As to having your respect I couldn't give a rat's a s s! So I think it's unanimous we don't respect each other I can live with that. And I don't share your opinion on things like discipline, respect & the Femmes so what? Again I find it odd how you have wait now only 5 posts on this forum (4 out of 5 here). You know you really should get back to the rehearsals with the other Femmes, and stop impersonating a martial artist.
    Last edited by firepalm; 01-26-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll View Post
    Firepalm, Xia, you are welcome to your opinions. But for the most part, whenever anyone says anything good, or nice, you have to blast them (especially Firepalm). Why the animosity? Who are you trying to convince? Do you feel if you get more people to blast the Kung fu femmes, this will validate the time spent on this forum? If you wanted to state your opinion, you could have just left it at one post. But I sense there is a longing to argue.
    I don't see how I blasted anyone. I merely stated my opinion based on what I saw. I have no animosity towards you but I don't have a positive view of what I saw of the show. All that aside, I think the real kicker in my review is what the show claims to be. In this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI22xg1TFyY
    It actually says that it's a "Kung Fu show". I think that aspect is what I didn't like the most. I already stated the other reasons so I don't think it's nessesary to repeat it. I

I myself am done arguing. I find myself on this forum much too often within the last few days. I really should be spending more time training and doing sit ups. Heck, I should be doing sit ups right now. But instead, I'm glued to my computer speaking to ears that will not hear anyway. The next thing that will be said is probably going to be another blast just to have the last word in. Go ahead though, there are many people that don't like Kung fu femmes. I'm aware of that, but why would I spend my time corresponding with them and trying to please them? I could see why people wouldn't like our troupe. Okay, so now what? You want me to quit? You want me to bend over backwards trying to please you? Want to be the new director? Just relax. So you don't like it. Okay, now it's time to move on. Maybe in the future you will like it. Maybe you won't. Either way, it doesn't matter.

So, yeah, if you find I'm ignoring some folks, don't get your panties in a bunch. I've stated my reasons for doing so. I do not need to repeat myself or clarify. If you still don't understand, please reread the post.
    I don't see how I blasted anyone. I merely stated my opinion based on what I saw. I never got personal and I have no animosity towards you, but I don't have a positive view of what I saw of the show. All that aside, I think the real kicker can be seen in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI22xg1TFyY
    One of the Femmes identifies Kung Fu Femmes as a "Kung Fu show". I think that this aspect is what I didn't like the most and I already stated the other reasons so I don't think it's necessary to repeat them. Anyway, as Gene said, there are many threads on everything from Kung Fu, martial arts in general, non-Chinese styles, and off topics so you don't have to spend all your time here defending the show.
    Last edited by The Xia; 01-28-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Since I'm giving my opinion on everything else tonight, I might as well give my true opinion on the 'Kung Fu Femmes'. You probably won't like it.

They are a performance troupe, and they are doing a show. I'm not going to go see a show just because it's a martial arts performance unless they're skilled martial artists doing something uncommon, like some really good forms or fighting moves or something. Like Jet Li is pretty good at wushu if you look at his earlier stuff. I'd go see that.

These people are not doing anything that great.

Since it's a female performance troupe, they better all be in good shape (thin) and good looking.

They're not all in that great of shape, thin, or great looking.

Then there is the name ... Femmes ... it literally sounds like some kind of cheese. Maybe because it's French. Fromage .. femmes ...

Therefore ... I say nix on the Kung Fu Femmes ... I think they should re-do it as a mixed group with better wushu.

Oh, and that Asian chick isn't too bad looking. Too bad she's already married ...
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-28-2007 at 10:10 PM.

linkee no workee

lhs, if I had a dollar for every time you said you needed to stop posting...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm guessing Femme is derived from Femme Fatale...

...but I have no idea how you could derive fromage from femme, lhs....as long as it's not frottage, I suppose it's cool.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but I have no idea how you could derive fromage from femme, lhs....as long as it's not frottage, I suppose it's cool.

so you think we'll ever see her again or she got scared away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It is a bit of a stretch. But I can't take credit for the analysis. I showed the clip to my redneck cousins to see what they thought of it. And I posted their comments.

Basically they want to see better looking chicks, more fighting and more skin. It's pretty simple.

Personally pretty much the person I think I'd watch just doing forms is Jet Li because he's just so good.

My Two Cents

I had originally posted in the other thread that got deleted that i did not care for the show myself and thought it was kinda silly. I say this because like others here who are not liking it, we have seen or been privey to many performances of extremely high calibre (IE: wushu performance/ serious demos at our local schools/etc etc). This show seems to have a low class ring about it. scantily clad femmes doing choreographed fight routines that i must say lack any real thought put into the fight routines. I know this critique seems harsh and i apologize for having to be kinda "Simon Cowl'ish" about it.
    on the positive note i can definately dig the concept and why this show is out there. generally speaking it is a creative idea and it brings somewhat the martial arts to women who would be discouraged at trying kung fu. karate etc out and excelling at it.
    To the general audience who doesnt have a grasp of what kung fu really is or what it really looks like,or any martial art for that matter, this can be an enjoyable and entertaining show. For the rest of us it has a mediocre flavour.

what i noticed about the routines that i could offer based on my experience is that the femmes need to focus on your flexability and your flow of movement. Choreography can be tough at times when you dont have the right people teaching you how to actually choreograph a routine. im sure that the guys you have working with you are decent guys, but i see some very 3rd grade level choreography here. Hey its my opinion and take it as constructive rather than destructive.
    You have a community of people here who are either very serious about their martial training, you have weekend warriors who do this at a superficial level, and you have others who just like to watch kung fu movies all the time.
    take it all with a grain of salt and draw what you can from all of our inputs and allow it to strengthen and maybe even improve upon your overall routines.
    My personal preferences as to what i like to see in performances is the seriousness and intent above all CONTENT of what i am watching. i see Intent, but not the other two.

Peace and good luck in the show,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Saying my farewell

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the new posts. Willow Sword, thanks for commenting. All good suggestions there. A lot of posts over the weekend.

ShaolinSky, thank you for your enthusiasm for KFF. It's shocking that I may agree with Firepalm on one thing, I'm actually starting to think you may be a friend of KFF. Anyway, stranger or not, you still rock. Your words were super encouraging. But I know for sure you're not a KFF, because I have not told any of the girls about the backbiting that has been going on in the forum. I have taken it upon myself to help the troupe keep up with positive feelings and thoughts. We have something special within our troupe, and I'm not about to rain on our parade. So Firepalm, you can keep wishing that another KFF would take the time out of her day, to talk to you. Ha Ha!

Xia, I don't really think you've been blasting anyone. Just the fact that you were "teaming up with Firepalm" puts you in that category. And the stuff you said about wanting to save the martial arts world or whatever seemed kinda silly to me. But whatever floats your boat dude. Good luck with your practices.

Firepalm, what can I say, there is one good thing you've done for me, make my last two weeks on this thread a little more exciting. But my days of being an argumentative person are over (for now). You are welcome to have your own thoughts and opinions. I know you think I'm judging you, but actually, all I've received of you is an "impression." I can honestly tell you my "impression" of you is not good at all. But who cares right? Just remember, next time you're in class (If you're still training in martial arts), the next time you get a kick in the groin, just think to yourself "Chinadoll sent that to me." (A smile crosses her face).

Thanks to everyone for commenting. I've absorbed a lot by being in this forum. Good and bad things were said, but overall, my reasons for getting into this thread were accomplished. I just got back from KFF rehearsal, and I'm once again jazzed and pumped about it. I love it! So good luck to everyone on their practices. Train hard, don't give up.

Love,
    Chinadoll (The Sassy Asian girl)

Thumbs up Kudos.

Great Attitude China Doll.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

All good things must come to an end.... ???

Firepalm wipes his hands with a look of self contentment and utters to himself, "Well I'm glad that... that's all done!" Completely oblvious to the mass of 'female companion starved KF forum members' with riving contempt growing as they encircle him!

Hahahaha
    Good luck Chinadoll seeyah. Oh & good bye to you too Shaolinsky, you little Sybil you!
    --Mark Twain

--Mark Twain

--Shaolinsky

You are still wrong!

To Firepalm:

You are still wrong HAHAHAA!!

Stop faking the martial arts knowledge, and learn something real. Then you may have something to share with us. Everything I posted about Kung Fu and Wu Shu is correct, the racism was coming from your end what with the "Chinese Martial Arts" offense and all. Please don't blaspheme other Chinese martial artists as it makes us look bad. Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant, and you need to study the history of the arts more, wikipedia and watching movies doesn't cut it.

And about all the "Friend of Kung Fu Femme's" stuff - I guess I could count as their friend if I knew any of them. I took up the burden of defending them when I saw the attacks coming at them. Thats all.

As for number of posts - I only joined a week ago. Most of what I do on here is read, but I'm sure I will find something good to comment on in the near future. I don't have much time online, so this thread has been taking up all my time

Chinadoll:

Sorry to see you go - but it's a good move on your part. Pests like the guy above put an end to the good conversation anyways. But you still came out on top in my opinion. If at all possible - I will deliver the groin shot for you HAHAA

Gees...

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    Does that include a helmet? Cause I got my finger on the trigger & your mug in my crosshairs!

Just joking! Good luck
    Such a child...

Shaolinsky said,
    Oh well it's a good thing we have someone so learned as yourself to set myself, & possibly other misguided ones, here straight on things. So let's summarize what I have learned from you;

Never use the phrase Kung Fu unless you put the term Zhong Gou (Chinese) in front otherwise persons, in discussion about martial arts, won't recognize that you might be using it as a common colloquial phrase referring to Chinese Martial Arts. Check, thank you for pointing this out.

Kung Fu translation = KUNG or GONG = Work or Skill
    FU = Skill level or Effort (per your previous post) no deviation & loose translations are not acceptable! It is not 'skill from effort' or 'to be a skilled person' or something to that effect as I mistakenly mentioned earlier. Check, thank you for pointing this out.

Wushu = Dancing Arts hmmmm..... well I know that a lot of the CMA community (particularly much of the traditional community) out there when thinking of the Modern Wushu would say Dancing. And that is something discussed at length here on this forum before but as for the actual translation of the words Wushu themselves well I think a heck of a lot of people in Mainland China would argue that point with you.

Now a question for someone so learned as yourself being as your uncle is from Taiwan and taught the army and all. Was he in there prior to or after Tae Kwon Do being adopted into the military? Because if in fact he was with the army prior to the TKD days then he probably would have been from the old school generation you know Kou Min Tang and all, he definitely would be more apt to use the phrase Chung Kou Kou Shu (Chinese National / Martial Arts) or Zhong Gou Goushu as you showed preference for (odd being Taiwanese and prefering Pinyin usage). Would he not? I mean you never brought up and all? Maybe your uncle was from that Tae Kwon Do military generation so your never got all the various phrases quite clear?

You know still trying to figure out how you can infer that I am racist when the only one making statements remotely racist is;
    Shaolinsky said,
    Those forums are seriously for Asian highschoolers that spend their life on the computer all day. Can you really take them seriously?
    Sounds like some ethnic stereotyping to me young lady!

So Shaolinsky / Sybil when you have more of your profound knowledge to share be sure and let me know I am waiting on pins & needles. Until then go on get your dress back on and get back to your rehearsals!

PS - Shaolinsky / Sybil I liked your quote (up top) so much I had to add it to my signature. A gem really!!!
    Last edited by firepalm; 01-30-2007 at 06:28 AM.
    --Mark Twain

--Mark Twain

--Shaolinsky

The Femmes need to do some Bikram yoga and get more flexable so that those kicks look a bit better in their routines.

Peace,TWS