Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "sticking body"

"sticking body"

i read recently that some wing chun practicioners are working on "sticking body", that would go along with sticking hands and feet. apparently the system was called "integrative wing chun" or somehting to that effect.....im not too familiar with the subject but im assuming it would be an excellent way to deal with ground fighting/wrestling/grappling.....any thoughts on this, or am i totally out there?

My only thought is simple amazement at the lengths some people are evidently willing to go to in order to avoid learning how to wrestle. It's got to be easier to learn how to grapple, and then integrate that into your base art, than to come up with a new "sticking" method and adapt that to a situation you don't even understand.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt View Post
    My only thought is simple amazement at the lengths some people are evidently willing to go to in order to avoid learning how to wrestle. It's got to be easier to learn how to grapple, and then integrate that into your base art, than to come up with a new "sticking" method and adapt that to a situation you don't even understand.
    Most wrestling doesn't seem to work on standup grappling, though. The submission wrestling places I've been all work on ground stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Most wrestling doesn't seem to work on standup grappling, though. The submission wrestling places I've been all work on ground stuff.
    How do they get to the ground?
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

How do they get to the ground?
    They walk to the mat, get on the mat. The entire class is on the mat. They work on various maneuvers, like from chokes or from guard or whatever.

But they don't seem to work much if any standup. Judo does more of that but I've been to a few places that have 'submission wrestling' (no gi) and they don't seem to work any standup grappling.

At any rate, to answer the original question, I'd have to say, "probably not." Because ground submissions aren't the same as standing because you can't exactly use your legs usually when you're standing the way people do on the ground.

Most wrestling doesn't seem to work on standup grappling, though. The submission wrestling places I've been all work on ground stuff
    Wrong. Wrestling is full of take-down training. Greco-Roman excels in the clinch.

Hmmm lets see, body-lock throws, ****zer throws, duckunders, armdrags, backcasts, collar and elbow work, pummeling drills from the clinch......dude its a ton of usefull stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Wrong. Wrestling is full of take-down training. Greco-Roman excels in the clinch.

Hmmm lets see, body-lock throws, ****zer throws, duckunders, armdrags, backcasts, collar and elbow work, pummeling drills from the clinch......dude its a ton of usefull stuff.
    Well then find someplace that does because the places I've been sure don't seem to.

What places are that?

You mentioned wrestling but I think you really were in reference to BJJ or Judo.

Western wrestling is often about the takedowns and clinch work as much as it is about the ground positioning, not so much subs, though they can have those to depending on the style.

Freestyle, folk, greco, collar and elbow, scottish backhold, swedish, catch as catch can....what are you speaking about specifically?
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 02-03-2007 at 01:10 PM.

What places are that?

You mentioned wrestling but I think you really were in reference to BJJ or Judo.

Western wrestling is often about the takedowns and clinch work as much as it is about the ground positioning, not so much subs, though they can have those to depending on the style.

Freestyle, folk, greco, collar and elbow, scottish backhold, swedish, catch as catch can....what are you speaking about specifically?
    I'm talking about 'submission wrestling', places like AMC Pankration. They seemed to do mostly work on the ground.

lol. too true.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Question

Lung,

This seems to be a very unvaild generalization.

How did you base this judgement? Was it on watching one or two classes? How many schools?

I can't speak for AMC Pankration in specifc as I have never been their, but were you watching the subs class or the Pankration class? Pankration often has greco-roman wrestling in its line-up.

Traditional greco is a excellent standup grappling art and can be nasty as all hell if applied on the street.

I can't speak for AMC Pankration in specifc as I have never been their, but were you watching the subs class or the Pankration class? Pankration often has greco-roman wrestling in its line-up.
    Submission wrestling, not Pankration. I was talking about SUBMISSION WRESTLING.

When I took wrestling in high school (which I did for 3 years), it was mostly ground submission wrestling. We mostly started from 'mount' or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Submission wrestling, not Pankration. I was talking about SUBMISSION WRESTLING.

When I took wrestling in high school (which I did for 3 years), it was mostly ground submission wrestling. We mostly started from 'mount' or whatever.
    It once again becomes apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You stated most wrestling. When does sub wrestling become most wrestling. I believe there are over 400 native wrestling styles worldwide.

I was talking about SUBMISSION WRESTLING
    Ok. But thats not what you said. Also since you know its sub wrestling why would you think it does anything else?

It once again becomes apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about

Agreed.