Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little guy vs. Big guy

Little guy vs. Big guy

2 fighters of roughly same skill go at it...big guy weighs about 30 pounds more than little guy...how is little guy able to gain advantage to overtake big guy? whats in his favor and what can he do make the most of that....what do u guys think?

i personally wish theyre werent so many weight classes when it comes to competitions either....light, middle and heavyweight seem good enough, and it would certainly make things alot more interesting..just my opinion anyway

being heavier is not necessarily an advantage. A person needs to know how to use their weight, whatever it may be. In Judo I have the hardest time trying to randori with the little guys because they are short and it's hard to get underneath their center of gravity. Use your attributes, whatever they are. If you're smaler, you might be quicker, you may have longer reach, whatever.

Then theres the two other things: technique and luck.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Aeturnal View Post
    2 fighters of roughly same skill go at it...big guy weighs about 30 pounds more than little guy...how is little guy able to gain advantage to overtake big guy? whats in his favor and what can he do make the most of that....what do u guys think?

i personally wish theyre werent so many weight classes when it comes to competitions either....light, middle and heavyweight seem good enough, and it would certainly make things alot more interesting..just my opinion anyway
    Unless it's 30lbs of fat, the big guy whips the little guy's ass.

If you're smaller, you need to be better. "Better" can be better conditioned, faster, more skilled, armed, luckier, or more ruthless, but if you're evenly matched except for size, the little guy's screwed. That's why they have all those weight classes.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

im a little dude and that sounds about right.
    where's my beer?

evenly matched under the same system of techniques and methods? big guy would likely win, unless luck favors the smaller man.

differnt styles. it depends on many factors.

speed of sight and reflexes (among others)play a major roll against to evenly matched fighters.

its never so cut and dry as one guys is guaranteed to win.

there is an old chinese saying

"when two tigers meet, one will die and the other will be maimed."

if its fists...its really touch and go, generally smaller guys tend to be a hair faster.

if the small guy can get a ko off b4 the big guy....muscles dont protect your brain.

its never so easy as #1 will surely win....in an evenly matched fight.

experience will teach you this.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Depends on the training experience of both. I'm not a guy, but I'll very much at a disadvantage sparring bigger people. With the exception of bigger people who have never sparred someone small who is also proficient.

But I must also say, the smaller person had best be willing to take a few hits to close in, or be ungodly fast with the blocks. You can usually tell how much sparring I've been doing by how many feint bruises I have on my face and arms. Arnica works great, but it ain't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "Little beat big if little is smart, first with the head, then with the heart"
    -The Power of One

You need to be smarter,quicker, gutsier,and more skilled.
    all things being equal-the bigger guy has the advantage-which is why we develop lik, ging,and faht-and of course, dahm-"yat dahm, yee lik, sahm gung-fu".

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i win all the time.

simple, eh?

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Bigger guys usually get gassed quicker. So you can try to let the bigger guy tire himself out by conserving your energy and having good defense. Then when he is tired do your thing.

In my opinion when you say of having the same level of skills that makes life difficult for both.. specially when both are highly skilled.. low level of skills for both may give some advantage to both and specially to the higher weight by taking advantage of the other making some mistake first.. but at higher skill level there are slim chances of making mistakes..

Skill level also includes the skill to stay on for long.. so at same level of skills both should exhaust almost at the same rate..

But same level of skill does not mean same level of physical structure.. so whoever have a little more reach may get advantage.. also style may play an important role in winning..

So in general weight may not be a major factor at same level of skills..

However, the suggested 30 lbs may make a big difference sometimes.. if it is 130 against 160 then it is almost 25% over weight and both still may have equal mobility depending on physic and 160 may get some advantage.. but if it is 210 against 240 the weight advantage is only 15% and that may not be an advantage at all.. and sometimes overweight may cause trouble..

Who has the reach advantage?

All things being equal size/weight is an advantage. A big one.

There is no such thing as "all things being equal" in reality though.

One thing you can do to neutralize a weight advantage is to keep the bigger guy from moving forward at you. Use angles and an aggresive style of defense.

Don't back up, you'll get run over.

Remember, the winner is the one who makes the next to last mistake.
    Words!

Just words!

just because they have the same skills doesnt mean they think the same. They will use the skill set diff.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

The "little guys" Ive played with seem to be comfortable getting close and using the upward angles. Also, not staying inside for too long... advance...retreat. Using the angles and staying inside CAN be effective in overcoming a longer reach
    Obviosly its going to depend how you use what you have.

One thing I love about my school is the large range of body types available. I can't say that we are equal levels (we are all different), but it is definitely great to be able to train with someone 5+ inches taller than me, and someone 5+ inches shorter.

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question, because I don't have the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzly View Post
    One thing I love about my school is the large range of body types available. I can't say that we are equal levels (we are all different), but it is definitely great to be able to train with someone 5+ inches taller than me, and someone 5+ inches shorter.

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question, because I don't have the answer.
    It's a good answer, because there is no "correct" answer. This is a point-of-veiw issue. A big person will usually say size is an issue. A shorter person is likely to say it isn't size but skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it