View Poll Results: What do you think of Bai See ceremonies?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are good. Sifus should continue this practice.

17 77.27%
  • The tradition should end.

1 4.55%
  • I don't know.

2 9.09%
  • I don't care.

2 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bai See Ceremony

Even a broken clock....

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    like I've said before...
    ??? actually seem to be much like a broken record.... so, true!
    We finally agree on something!

the current state of tma
    everyone talks about
    more than backs up
    what I am saying
    by continuing such practices
    the door is left wide open
    for fraud
    watered down teachings
    The harvard grad may not graduate
    but as long as he is in class
    he gets the same portion of the teacher's time
    any other student gets
    On the same token
    all TMA students should get the same time
    Some may never be any good
    as you agree
    not everyone has what it takes
    those who don't never "graduate"
    but not because of lack of time with the teacher.
    I've broken your opinions (they do not rise to the level of "comments") down in the above manner, in order to show just how many ways you are wrong. I will not take the time to refute each and every one of them.

actually, I'd equate fight training - which is the training I've been referring to - to teaching on a grad level.
    Equally an opinion/wrong.

I may have misunderstood you. But,
    You got something right?
    (OTOH, you're "not sure" about it)

seemed to say that you were putting the coach higher than others, in this case, a brothel worker.
    You said that coaches had to "take on all comers". ("so to speak")

I don't necessarily disagree with that.
    But, if you could, you'd find a way to do so?

Do you REALLY think that EVERY teacher around the world has classes full of students - or even a handful of 'disciples' - that are better than half good
    No.
    When they get (enough) "better than" "half good", they move up to the next class.

that could compete at high levels?
    Not my concern.
    Today, the word "competition" is used to denote a "spectator sport".
    (some folks will consider that last term to be an "oxymoron" that's almost as expressive of the concept as that old classic the "giant shrimp")

yes, if. Not all teachers have competed. If you have never competed, you have no business training anyone to compete, IMO.
    ???
    "Sauce for the goose..."?
    I'm not aware of any coaches/trainers who've been World Champions in any particular ring-sport.

Furthermore, if you have no idea what constitutes a "tma", perhaps you have no business teaching anyone to do that, either.
    That's also not an opinion, since legally it would constitute a fraud.... but, I take it that you've already spotted at least a few of those.

read it wrong.
    To be completely even-handed, you have to consider that you may have written that wrong, too.

My final comment in this thread is to commend you to Scholar's post.

Pete

Bai Si,...

I think 'Bai-Si' has it's place in the kung-fu school,...my Si-Fu does it as a sort-of' rank-advancement or a 'Thank You' for being in the school for a long time, and for doing things to better the school, such as; cleaning-up around the building, promoting the school in a positive sense,..etc.', 'all' without being asked to do so. We do the traditional 'Tea ceremony' with bitter-tea. The tea is exchanged from teacher to student, we bow three-times, a reflextion of the student's training,rank and accomplishments are told,.. then we usually go to a Chinese restaurant afterwards to celebrate. I've been at Si-Fus' school for 13yrs., and only known it to happen twice. We don't exclude the other students, and we don't pledge a blood-oath,..lol' , we just show some respect and have dinner with a student who has hung' with us a long time, and is a good person. So, there are different degrees of 'how far' you take the status of 'Indoor-Student',...power-heads need not apply,..lol', but, all of that has to be decreed and controlled by the Si-Fu. Li Ma-Keh