Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Chuanfa@sbcglob View Post
    Ernie,

Which did you get. The Marble Wood or the Drywood dummy? Which is preferable if cost really was not an option - Teak? Marble Wood? Drywood?
    2 dry woods , got warned not to get marble , wood is to ''green'' and have not seen the teak

but i have talked with guys that have got some good dry woods as well , mine looked perfect when i got them but once i started useing it for a while cracks came out right away .

good luck
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Thanks Ernie. Looks like Cranes Prod is where I'll be purchasing my dummy.

dude make your own

go to google and search under wooded dummy plans. you can get the plans and make your own for under 100 bucks.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Wooden Dummy

I know we have had a few threads about this but, if YOU could design your very own Wooden dummy, what would it look like and what would it do?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Form/design follows function....

adjustable height so it can easily be changed to allow the practitioner to keep their elbows low when training the techniques. Many do SLT etc...only to face a high dummy and reach up creating levers with the arms rather than elbow position maintenance in rotation while moving around ...

There are 2 imaginary dummys either side of the main body , we point the tan / low bong combo aka kwan at these imaginary 'body's as if we are attacking in a converging line to enter into them , instead we step or turn back into facing the 1 body , tending to mislead some to think we would turn ourselves from their positions and do things then while they wait we re-face and do a move ....

I would have 2 1/2 dummys either side for the idea to work , not turning into, but keep going after the side dummy's for variation in training with it . like attacking a person continuously in one parallel/converging line along a wall...as chum kil . It would make the chi-sao not seem like we did this on an opponent , turn away then reface , re-directing energy by sticking t arms etc...

heavy /dense plastic built into the dummy so it was 'flush' with the wood , in a seamless plastic/wood surface to allow bare handed strikes anywhere I decided without putting on fingerless gloves like ufc type . wood for density to develop ging shock force and plastic/dense foam for striking with knuckles.

arm attachments to simulate blades for training cuts, stabs, etc..., using the dense plastic/foam for stabbing choppping...and not splintering the arms while doing so .... holes for making the dummy a pole training dummy by swapping out short arms for certain areas to parry and thrust, rather than another one 'just for that'

As technology moves forwards perhaps it could be a free standing programed attack robot that er.... ok losing it

As technology moves forwards perhaps it could be a free standing programed attack robot that er.... ok losing it
    I too am waiting for "holodeck" training

Till then...

adjustable height so it can easily be changed to allow the practitioner to keep their elbows low when training the techniques. Many do SLT etc...only to face a high dummy and reach up creating levers with the arms rather than elbow position maintenance in rotation while moving around ...
    Wouldn't a "taller" dummy allow us to drill VS a "taller opponent" ?

I've got a wooden one but I'm not happy with it any more. I built it with measurements off my favourite dummy at the time, but we got some new dummies and I prefer a higher one these days. We also got some arms on springs on one dummy and I really like that.

Now I want to replace the wooden one with a steel one. I've got some ideas and materials together. I want to have removable steel spring arms and leg and the body mounted on rollers with old moped shock absorbers and bearings on tracks controlling the horizontal movement. I want to have dense foam covers on the arms and maybe the leg so I can hit them hard enough (I find bare steel too harsh). Also padding on the body and head because some of the strikes in my dummy form hurt without padding. The springs I've got in mind are very stiff. It was hard to find springs burly enough but I went to an industrial spring supplier and the heaviest ones they've got should do. They seem to work well in prototype arms I rig up. I don't think the project will be easy, but if I can create the dummy I've got in my mind I'll be pretty happy.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I've got a wooden one but I'm not happy with it any more. I built it with measurements off my favourite dummy at the time, but we got some new dummies and I prefer a higher one these days. We also got some arms on springs on one dummy and I really like that.

Now I want to replace the wooden one with a steel one. I've got some ideas and materials together. I want to have removable steel spring arms and leg and the body mounted on rollers with old moped shock absorbers and bearings on tracks controlling the horizontal movement. I want to have dense foam covers on the arms and maybe the leg so I can hit them hard enough (I find bare steel too harsh). Also padding on the body and head because some of the strikes in my dummy form hurt without padding. The springs I've got in mind are very stiff. It was hard to find springs burly enough but I went to an industrial spring supplier and the heaviest ones they've got should do. They seem to work well in prototype arms I rig up. I don't think the project will be easy, but if I can create the dummy I've got in my mind I'll be pretty happy.
    Springs like this?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Wouldn't a "taller" dummy allow us to drill VS a "taller opponent" ?
    I think Kevin means a non-personalised dummy so that anyone can approach it, adjust for height and then train with the dummy.

Question:

Spring loaded arms - good or bad?
    Spring loaded base VS rotating base?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Question:

Spring loaded arms - good or bad?
    Spring loaded base VS rotating base?
    I think the spring loaded arms would make you chase hands alot. If you don't chase hands allot you would always be going thru them to the center of the dummy, so you might as well not have the arms there if that was the case. Sifu Lam has a pair of these sticking out of one of his trees in his backyard, the seemed pretty useless to me.

A spring loaded base would be the way to go, it would force pressure back onto your structure, thereby making it stronger and more able to handle it. There's a company out there that makes spring loaded dummies, where the springs are behind the dummy, support by a solid base. No mounting required.

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    I think the spring loaded arms would make you chase hands alot. If you don't chase hands allot you would always be going thru them to the center of the dummy, so you might as well not have the arms there if that was the case. Sifu Lam has a pair of these sticking out of one of his trees in his backyard, the seemed pretty useless to me.

A spring loaded base would be the way to go, it would force pressure back onto your structure, thereby making it stronger and more able to handle it. There's a company out there that makes spring loaded dummies, where the springs are behind the dummy, support by a solid base. No mounting required.

James
    Link please?

the height is for personal development ...if you fight a guy taller than you then your not offering levers you may use bilgee more rather than climb the bridge ...if you know the levels of elbows then you can do what you like ..if you simply train higher always for everyone ...then you ruin yourself. SLT would be elbows high up for fighting tall people only .
    The arms are solid to develop SHOCK force sudden impact that removes but does not chase ...O---->OOO>---O executive desk play toy idea, energy transfers to another object, while remaining still after impact [ from elbow control not wrist hand chasing]...
    we hold our defensive centerline doing this while clearing our way to strike in...from pole , ballisitic removal while staying to stab the pole inline with were the previous position was held by the other pole ..if it wasn't there to remove ..your stabbing in anyway.

dummy should be personal, not one size fits all ....taall guys should be the opposite and striving to lower themselves for the idea too. stance low elbows low...loooow. once you know the idea you are no longer a slave to it and just get on with the fun of mortal combat

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    the height is for personal development ...if you fight a guy taller than you then your not offering levers you may use bilgee more rather than climb the bridge ...if you know the levels of elbows then you can do what you like ..if you simply train higher always for everyone ...then you ruin yourself. SLT would be elbows high up for fighting tall people only .
    The arms are solid to develop SHOCK force sudden impact that removes but does not chase ...O---->OOO>---O executive desk play toy idea, energy transfers to another object, while remaining still after impact [ from elbow control not wrist hand chasing]...
    we hold our defensive centerline doing this while clearing our way to strike in...from pole , ballisitic removal while staying to stab the pole inline with were the previous position was held by the other pole ..if it wasn't there to remove ..your stabbing in anyway.

dummy should be personal, not one size fits all ....taall guys should be the opposite and striving to lower themselves for the idea too. stance low elbows low...loooow. once you know the idea you are no longer a slave to it and just get on with the fun of mortal combat
    Thank you.