View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 357 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457857 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,355 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    you are kidding right?? philosophy and the principles of Taoism, Buddhism , Confucianism , and Shamanism are majorly important to understanding CMA and Life.
    No, I am not kidding. Explain to me how a Taoist, Buddhist , Confucianist , and Shaman would perform the sweep and twist move that we are talking about.

Well, the Buddhist would do it with a bald head, the Taoist with a topknot, and the Shaman with a ring of lion's teeth and shrunken human heads on his forehead and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Well, the Buddhist would do it with a bald head, the Taoist with a topknot, and the Shaman with a ring of lion's teeth and shrunken human heads on his forehead and neck.
    Heh, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyways.....I came onto this forum to find out if Shaolin-do was for real....just like the thread says.

Well, whether it is real Shaolin will never be settled, because nobody has consensus on what real Shaolin is. But it is definately for real.....in terms of fighting, mechanics, technique, and my general appreciation for it. GM The' is for real, but he's eccentric. Nothing wrong with that, as I'm a bit so myself. I answered all my questions, and I am formally taking my adieu of KFM online, since I don't have any more questions I feel need answering from anyone here, and I found something better to do at work.

I know, you're thinking, here's another "I'm gone forever," Lungushan type-post from someone who will be back tommorrow. Well, keep an eye on my Master of the Hydrospanner title. I'm gonna PM gene to ban me until he does.

From the soon to be banned Shaolin Wookie, good luck with your studies, and goodbye.

Oh, and **** you Masterkiller. I never really liked you. You're a smug little man and you treat people like they were idiots.......

Haha....quoted Tommy Boy....you David Spade-muthafrucker.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 03-10-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Flying Tiger

This is all just what I've heard from my teacher, and I may really paraphrase him incorrectly (which I'll admit if I'm called on it)

Flying tiger is actually one of the five sub-families of the Honan Tiger system, Mountain tiger being another. I'm sure that's not what traditional Shaolin people will say, but that's what I've been told, so at this point, I'll take it that any tiger I learn (other than Black Tiger, which is its own deal) is from one of those five "families."

As for the application, I've always just used/taught the leg application as a way to cover distance when your opponent is really close to you (in this instance, you're actually advancing to directly behind him). The arms I use as a neck break, 'cause that's what I was shown. Now, or course, in sparring, I just use that circular motion as a block to set up for the jump front kick...but in the form, the neck break just seems to fit so much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

Oh, and **** you Masterkiller. I never really liked you. You're a smug little man and you treat people like they were idiots........
    Maybe when you actually get your black belt we can discuss this further...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MK I have to agree you do come off as condesending KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Philosophy in MA

Martial Philosophy/History

If you think that martial arts are all about fighting, you are mistaken. All martial skills are developed to defend yourself, your loved ones and those who cannot defend themselves. In essence: "Learn the ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check; check rather than hurt; hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill; for all life is precious, nor can any be replaced." This has been the martial artist's credo, passed down from teacher to student for thousands of years. Historical records date back to the Chou Dynasty (1027 - 256 B.C.), the beginning of the Iron Age.

Huang Ti, China's first unifier (221 - 210 B.C.) prohibited the practice of martial arts for fear that the masses might rise up and destroy the empire. Martial arts were practiced in secret until 206 B.C. when Liu Pang, later known as Kao Tsu, assumed the throne of the Han Dynasty. Emperor Kao permitted the resumption of martial arts practice throughout the realm and they became a vital part of military training.

Unarmed defense principles were advanced through Zen (Ch'an) Buddhist religious practices during the sixth century. Bodhidharma, who was said to have traveled to China, spread the word of Zen Buddhist faith and is believed to be the father of Shaolin Temple Boxing. It is said that he introduced the monks to systematized exercises for strengthening the body and the mind, to endure prolonged mediation. Self-defense movements were devised later from Bodhidharma's knowledge of Indian fighting systems and thus the birth of Shaolin Kung Fu.

The greatest contribution to martial arts by the Taoists is without a doubt Tai Chi Chuan. The Taoist priest Chang Sen-feng, after spending ten years with the Shaolin Monks, retreated to Wu Dan mountain to pursue his search for immortality. After witnessing a fight between a snake and a crane, he developed a complete system designed to maintain health, calm the mind, and increase longevity - Tai Chi Chuan, "The Grand Ultimate Fist." The self-defense aspects became so effective that it was recognized as one of the superior schools of traditional Chinese "boxing".

This says alot of what I think KC

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I wouldn't say MK is condescending. He is out spoken and blunt. I see nothing wrong with that. I may not like everything he says, but I respect him. Of course he can't whoop me, but I still respect him.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

MK I believe has said or aluded to " You have to earn Respect" so why should you respect him , of course that is his Idea of respect. KC

Quote Originally Posted by KungFu Student View Post
    Ug. What does philosophy have to do with the move? Or are you trying to be humorous?
    No the Taoists Philosophy is Yin Yang or harmony utilizing circular concept in this case unlike the Neck break talked about earlier that is more Buddhist. KC

Hi, pot. I'm kettle.

MK I believe has said or aluded to " You have to earn Respect" so why should you respect him , of course that is his Idea of respect. KC
    Nope. That wasn't me. But if you're looking for respect on an internet message board, I would say your priorities in life need to be adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Of course he can't whoop me, but I still respect him.
    I dunno. You just won 2nd at the Arnold's, didn't you?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

[QUOTE=MasterKiller;744610]Hi, pot. I'm kettle.

Nope. That wasn't me. But if you're looking for respect on an internet message board, I would say your priorities in life need to be adjusted.

Your Losing it MK you can do better than that I do not seek respect. That is ego KC

Martial Philosophy/History

If you think that martial arts are all about fighting, you are mistaken. All martial skills are developed to defend yourself, your loved ones and those who cannot defend themselves. In essence: "Learn the ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check; check rather than hurt; hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill; for all life is precious, nor can any be replaced." This has been the martial artist's credo, passed down from teacher to student for thousands of years. Historical records date back to the Chou Dynasty (1027 - 256 B.C.), the beginning of the Iron Age.
    Where is this credo from? If this credo does exist, it has certainly not been present in all Kung Fu lineages. Besides, martial arts have been used for offense many times throughout history. There is no denying this. I know of other credos that are far different from the one you quoted. In this article, http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=661
    David Chin quotes, "When hunting a tiger, destroy it. Otherwise, a wounded tiger will return to harm you. When weeding a garden, pull up the roots. Otherwise, the weeds will grow back. Whether the lion is hunting an elephant or a rabbit, the lion always uses full force."
    That's much different huh?
    You seem to have a rose-tinted view of MA history.
    Unarmed defense principles were advanced through Zen (Ch'an) Buddhist religious practices during the sixth century. Bodhidharma, who was said to have traveled to China, spread the word of Zen Buddhist faith and is believed to be the father of Shaolin Temple Boxing. It is said that he introduced the monks to systematized exercises for strengthening the body and the mind, to endure prolonged mediation. Self-defense movements were devised later from Bodhidharma's knowledge of Indian fighting systems and thus the birth of Shaolin Kung Fu.
    I have not seen any evidence that Bodhidharma had knowledge of Indian martial arts. There are actually a lot of uncertainties out there regarding him.
    The greatest contribution to martial arts by the Taoists is without a doubt Tai Chi Chuan. The Taoist priest Chang Sen-feng, after spending ten years with the Shaolin Monks, retreated to Wu Dan mountain to pursue his search for immortality. After witnessing a fight between a snake and a crane, he developed a complete system designed to maintain health, calm the mind, and increase longevity - Tai Chi Chuan, "The Grand Ultimate Fist." The self-defense aspects became so effective that it was recognized as one of the superior schools of traditional Chinese "boxing".
    It's an opinion that Tai Chi Chuan is the greatest Taoist contribution to martial arts. Someone may like Bagua or some other art better.
    This says alot of what I think KC
    I disagree. I feel it’s skeletal and makes sweeping statements to the point that it compromises its accuracy. Where is this from by the way?
    Last edited by The Xia; 03-10-2007 at 07:34 PM.

You just like to argue, go to google key in Philosophy and Martial arts PICK ONE you will find it I think there were like 10000 sites KC
    BTW I have been training a long time and have used my stuff for real I am not rose colored by any means , what breath of experience do you have is it just book sense or real ?? KC