Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bouncer's killer punch on first day

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I wasn't questioning the good reasons one shouldn't punch as a bouncer.

It's understood that some or most employers will say don't do it. I agree and had the same rule for my guys when I was running security and in the 5 years that I was at that place no bouncer ever did...except me, twice, on nights I was working alone and didn't have time to wrestle...then there was the night I shoulda been punching because I spent too much time wrestling two guys apart while another was getting beaten senseless with a cue stick...ambulance had to pick him up...or the time I was playing fancy with an arnis disarm on a guy w/ a tire iron while 3 other dudes knocked out another guy and proceeded to kick him in the head while he was on the ground....sorry, rambling...

but, it's not specifically illegal for a bouncer to do so unless someone can point to it somewhere.

what Ben says makes sense though...I don't really see where an employer can tell you to not do something that may prevent damage to yourself...they will though because it's probably not specifically illegal for them to do so.

bottom line, as Jake points out, it's sortof a thrillseekers job. I was certainly guilty of it when I was working it but as I aproached 30 I decided i'd had enough.

The job attracts a bunch of knucklehead wanna be Patrick Swayze's, who get off on beating on someone.
    you mean all the guys who were working for the bar at the beginning of the movie, right he fired those that wouldn't change to his methods. yea, i like the movie.

that movie and the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon books helped pattern the way I feel a good bar should be...'clubs' are different from bars...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    water quan, you'll deal with all types from drunk frat boys, and girls, to meathead football players to drug dealers...some are easy, some aren't...and the apparently hardest seeming aren't always the hardest to deal with...a drunk woman with an attitude is tough to handle.

ok, you guys seem to be missing the point of the movie, Swayze is brought in to calm things down, it was rough in the beginning and there were fights when the local rich man wanted to control things but Swayze's MO was NOT all about beating people up...he even did Tai Chi...badly
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Chicks were some of the worst! And as far as imagination with foul language and the mouth.....hands down first prize goes to the girls!
    It is funny, no matter what the girl looks like they are fighting, she is always a "fat / ugly / ***** / ***** / skank"
    I had to actually pick a girl up and put her under my arm once because she would not leave, and she still tried to bean the other girl with a bottle on the way out!!!!!!

Ahhhhh, the good ol' days! I am with Oso though. It loses it's glamour quickly!!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

But in defense of the roadhouse thing, people were less likely to sue back then, so it was acceptable. I've talked to several guys who bounced back then who said that type of thing was common

Funny, you mention that, my father was a boucner in his youth in Topeka, Kansas, which is where I was born. From what he tells me, club bouncing was a LOT different back in that climate.

He had the Dim Mak.

Seven,
    You forgot to mention YOU are built like a pro athlete.
    Last edited by Mas Judt; 03-16-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Too bad I don't get paid like one...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter