Thread: UFC Buys Pride....

UFC Buys Pride....

"This is really going to change the face of MMA," Lorenzo Fertitta said. "Literally creating a sport that could be as big around the world as soccer. I liken it somewhat to when the NFC and AFC came together to create the NFL."

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6614284
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

I hope they don't water-down the Pride rules. I like watching it much better than UFC.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

this has the potential to create an amazing worldwide market as well as up the level of skill among participants. however, what happens to current title holders in each weight class? are the pride champs going to have to fight the ufc champs and what not? also the pride people make a heck of a lot more money per fight for undercard fights than the ufc guys. does this mean the title purses will be that much larger and the undercards will still get kind jipped as in the ufc or will the pay rates from pride be used across the board. if thats the case there will be a huge influx of new people trying to get in to the ufc to make the kind of money the pride guys do. just some initial thoughts that came to mind. it will be neat to see how it pans out.

From what I've read elsewhere Pride will still be semi-autonomous and exist as it's own entity.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I've heard that UFC was doing pretty good, but so good to buy Pride? Wow. I think the UFC method of "giving away" some of it's product (Ultimate Fighter) was a smart move. It get's people interested in the sport and hooks them into the fighters. Smart.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

don't forget the fact that the UFC business model includes paying undercard fighters in the neighborhood of $2k for a show that grosses well over $10million after pay per view buys.

of course they're rolling in dough.

this may be a bad thing for the fighters though as Pride is where they went for reasonable paychecks.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

thats what i said. lol. i feel so ignored.

sorry i fell asleep after your 3rd or 4th sentence
    my bad
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

wow you made it that far?

j/k bruce
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I was afraid of this. This could well suck.

Still it's good for world peace: the whole of countless internet forums will have to stop getting angry and frustrated at the "UFC r00zors Pride LOLZ!" threads and turn to pr0n.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Is Pride making money?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I'm pretty sure they are. Their ticket sales over here are immense. A VIP seat near the front can cost 120,000 yen. Most of them are 20,000 I think. The mercchandising is also immense: plastic models, clothing, signed programmes (a normal programme will cost you 1-2000 yen, more for the bigger ones), the works.

However, for some reason probably documented on Sherdog among other places, the bosses fell out with Japanese TV and they went to PPV, which lost pretty much their whole TV audience and a tasty deal (nobody really watches PPV over here).

The fighters' purses are big though, and so are the venues, so maybe they aren't making so much...

The definitive answer is: I've no ****ing idea!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    wow you made it that far?

j/k bruce
    *adjusts tie ala rodney dangerfield*

I get no respect

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are. Their ticket sales over here are immense. A VIP seat near the front can cost 120,000 yen. Most of them are 20,000 I think. The mercchandising is also immense: plastic models, clothing, signed programmes (a normal programme will cost you 1-2000 yen, more for the bigger ones), the works.

However, for some reason probably documented on Sherdog among other places, the bosses fell out with Japanese TV and they went to PPV, which lost pretty much their whole TV audience and a tasty deal (nobody really watches PPV over here).
    じゃ日本語を書きましょう。。。
    切符そなに高いですか?マジ?
    PRIDEのアクションフィギャアを買いたい、本当に!
    PRIDEの前のオーナがやくざだと言うわけだね?
    だから日本のテレビに断れたと思ってるさ。。。
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-28-2007 at 09:01 AM.