Thread: Where to go from Qigong?

Lightbulb Where to go from Qigong?

I recently started practicing Qigong from a book called qigong for health and vitality, I got the Idea from a tai Chi chuan book, the question I have is were to go from here should I learn the tai chi qigong from the book(short form) or should I continue to read the tai chi book I have(short yang style, Tai chi Chuan becoming one with the tao)or should I learn bagua (art of overkill?).I wanted more self defense since Qigong is giving me all the health and meditive aspects I need any info would be great don't know if I should of posted this here though.

Assuming that you've got a teacher (or had one for some time in the past), go with both the Taiji book and the Taiji qigong book at the same time.

No teachers around :(

Sadly I don't think theres any teachers around here tx, Hidalgo county?Ive been looking for some, the closest one is by 300 miles maybe more lol

did you ever consider yoga? Many of the same benefits and probably more accessable. Just a thought.
    Bless you

Where next?

Boy, what a question. Simple yet complex at the same time ;-)

Where to go next depends a lot on where you want to get to. You mentioned an interest in self-defense which presents a challenge with regards to the internal arts (TaiChi, Bagua, XingYi) as there aren't many teachers here in the states. I'm personally fond of Bagua myself but my only real practice is "walking the circle" as I'm coming at it more from a moving QiGong meditation aspect than from self-defense.

However, I have one book suggestion for you that I believe will help complement your QiGong studies wherever you decide to take it.

Its Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy and Natural Magick by Lily of the Valley Carnie.

I really enjoy Ms Carnie's book because she beautifully conveys the most important lesson of any QiGong practice... that the point of training is to move beyond the practice and be able apply it to all parts of your life.

Her book offers almost a hundred different ways to incorporate QiGong training into things like weapons training, sensory development, nature training and even kite flying. All the while, she encourages you to be relaxed and have fun because the more relaxed and the more positive you are, the better your Chi will flow and the better you'll be able to work with it.

I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    did you ever consider yoga? Many of the same benefits and probably more accessable. Just a thought.
    He probably has the same chance of finding a real yoga teacher (not that westernized garbage) as he does finding a meditative qigong teacher in his area.

You can always send away for instructional video tapes. Tiger Claw offers quite a few... I'm not really making a sales plug, my point is if you want to do it, do it. The point is practice. Even if you find a mediocre teacher, at least you'll have something to practice. That lays the foundation for later, more advanced learning. With practice comes realization and self awareness. Those are key foundations that only come with practice.

The beauty of qigong is it's free. All it takes is practice. Is your qigong really giving you all the health and meditation you need? If you really think you're doing enough qigong and been doing it for long enough, you need to practice more.

peace

herb ox

And there are also qigong vids:

http://www.martialartsmart.net/Qigong_Videos.html
    Bless you