Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Crane?

Self discovery

Try to find the style that matches you, rather than you to the style. Take into account your physical, mental, emotional strengths and weaknesses before forking out the dough or wasting your time. Are you tall and looking for the whipping power or stout and want to grind your opponent into the ground? I have a crane set in the system I studied, and like it alot.

uhh hey, im a hop gar guy, i talk to your si hing mario from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    uhh hey, im a hop gar guy, i talk to your si hing mario from time to time

Cool Htowndragon, I read your story about meeting the guy who knows about alot of fighters from books but doesn't want to train himself. Mario and our Sifu use the EF forum sometimes. When I try to login after registering I get these wacky error warnings so I just gave up on using it.

Hokpaiwes

Hi,

Please check your PM.

Regards,

Luca

hok pai wes

do you know much of george longs personal history? he is my si bak and i don't know much about him other than him opening up the white crane school.

according to someone who trained under him at one point in the early days (name ommited to avoid politics if there is a disagreement) george long's "white crane" is the "white crane division" of hop gar (the four divisions are white crane, lohan, wei to, and daat mo). and is considerably different from other lines of chan hak fu's bak hok pai.

u say that he learned under CHF after he trained with my si gong ng yim ming, do u know where this was? as i understand it, he opened a school in SF not long after leaving the hop gar school, from what i heard, george long stated that he learned from CHF before he trained with ng yim ming (harry ng) when he was younger.

u can PM me to continue this conversation if u don't want to talk about it on here, i hope u don't mind that i asked this on an open forum.

i haven't talked to terry in a while, tell him i say hey!

Hokpaiwes

I have seen a lot of the upright posture(in competition) as compared to other styles, with people who have'nt had much experience practicing other styles, or are just limiting themselves to strictly White Crane techniques, then I have seen more experienced people picking & choosing styles of movement, mixing it up as necessary depending on their opponent, but when they just stick to strict WC it really looks cool when they intercept an attack, for example using Kup Choi. The fight between (Was it Chan Hak Fu?) and the Tai Chi Master in Hong Kong is one example, the Siu Kau punches thrown by the WC man and most of his other stuff is thrown from a more upright posture.
    Last edited by Onepath; 05-07-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Misspelling

i hope u don't mind that i asked this on an open forum.

No worries from me. If his Hop Gar came after his Pak Hok Pai from Chan Hak Fu rather than before it will be my mistake. All the history that I get is oral so I could just be remembering wrong on that part before/after.

i haven't talked to terry in a while, tell him i say hey!

Will do!