Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: choy lee fut VS. Muay Thai

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I'm partially guilty as charged, but the great misunderstanding is that traditionalists look DOWN on sport fighting. That's not the real issue. The real issue is that its a road block..
    Which is not in any way looking down on it. After all, its just a 'roadblock' to the 'higher' levels...

It was 20 years ago, and I've added some skills since..
    You are very generous with yourself. What you mean to say is that you are 20 years older.

But, and this is the big one, there are more lessons to be learned. .
    *ahem*

In real conflict, if you think, you lose, you react with a sensitivity of touch and of your opponents position and balance. What your body produces is what it is trained to produce. There are no rules, no refs, no fairness or honour or do-overs. People grab hair, kick your nutz, bite, have weapons, gang up, grab your legs, go to ground, you can't predict it or control it. The rest of the rant is pretty trite so I'll just leave it there..

Actually, all of that rant was trite and full of nothing but the same old song and dance we've heard over and over again. The same argument that falls apart upon inspection over and over again.

But, with traditional arts, in the long term, the skills are higher level, but it takes a lot longer. .

See previous comments.

Do I look down on Basketball players because I play Soccer? .
    I should hope not. Soccer is a joke.

Hello,

My teacher is a Bak Sing elder and he told me in the old days Bak Sing fought the roof tops and beat most arts mostly Wing Chung.

CLF is a very fast and unpredictable system of fighting......

Yum Cha do you have footage of you fighting using your art is it like CLF?

Go the XXXX Beer!

Thomas
    Last edited by Kartikeyan; 06-01-2007 at 04:05 AM.

Just to clarify, roadblock to higher levels OF TRADITIONAL skills, not higher level sport, or MMA skills.

My apologies for taking the thread off topic.

TCMA is not the short term fix. You can learn BJJ or MMA and be a good fighter in a year, great. Kudos. But, with traditional arts, in the long term, the skills are higher level, but it takes a lot longer. .
    LOL @ thinking 30 years of TMA training somehow gives you more skills than 30 years of BJJ training.

How do you know when you are dealing with an instructor who is a clueless rip-off artist?

When he makes statements like this.

That's looks straight out of Bruce Lee's hand book !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That's looks straight out of Bruce Lee's hand book !
    which means it probably came out of some old fencing and boxing books
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

LOL !

Savate baby !!
    Tight leotards, pointy shoes and canes !!
    viva le resistence !!

Question Martial artist reality?????

The more I see threads with post like some here, the more it makes me wonder how many people here "really" have a clue about fighting????

It seems that most expect fights to look text book like....If a CMA fighter is not doing any animal mimicking or some drunken master or shaw brothers type chop sockey cinema, then it can't be CMA.

Maybe it's me that's misunderstanding my TCMA training???

We are taught to use what works for us, be it called jab, cross, sow choy or monkey picks the peach. It's then added to your own style of fighting, not some pre set fighting form. It makes me realize that there are still a lot of people that have no clue about fighting, just a bunch of preconcived notions of what it should look like...

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    LOL @ thinking 30 years of TMA training somehow gives you more skills than 30 years of BJJ training.

How do you know when you are dealing with an instructor who is a clueless rip-off artist?

When he makes statements like this.
    Yea Knife, we saw your 30 years of skill on display against Redmond's kid, didn't we....

In all honesty, and I ain't shy, it didn't come out the way I meant it, and I'll cop the abuse fair and square. Of course, 30 years in anything gives you top skills. Put 30 into traditional get top traditional. Put 30 into modern, you get top modern.

I'm trying to make a point about breadth vs depth. Sticking to one discipline and reaping the fruits of longer term study.

I am so sorry I got sucked into this one.... I was just enjoying the CLF skills.

Yea Knife, we saw your 30 years of skill on display against Redmond's kid, didn't we....

In all honesty, and I ain't shy, it didn't come out the way I meant it, and I'll cop the abuse fair and square. Of course, 30 years in anything gives you top skills. Put 30 into traditional get top traditional. Put 30 into modern, you get top modern.

I'm trying to make a point about breadth vs depth. Sticking to one discipline and reaping the fruits of longer term study.

I am so sorry I got sucked into this one.... I was just enjoying the CLF skills.
    I disagree. I've know people who have trained for 30 years and still suck. If you use that logic, you could infer that as long as you train long enough, you are bound to get good. We all know that's NOT True.

Heck, I've know people who've been driving for 30 years and they still suck at it. And look at the amount of hours each day that they practice that.

Some people, no matter how long they train will just flat out NEVER be good. On the converse, I've seen people train for just a couple of years, and get phenomenal. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I disagree. I've know people who have trained for 30 years and still suck. If you use that logic, you could infer that as long as you train long enough, you are bound to get good. We all know that's NOT True.

Heck, I've know people who've been driving for 30 years and they still suck at it. And look at the amount of hours each day that they practice that.

Some people, no matter how long they train will just flat out NEVER be good. On the converse, I've seen people train for just a couple of years, and get phenomenal. Go figure.
    This is a sad fact, but a fact nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post

Yes, very true, but equally applicable to all undertakings. Math, MA, chicks, whatever.

The odds on someone spending 30 years on anything they are failures at are pretty slim, but than again, I know a few blokes around the office that might qualify.... You'd be a pretty miserable sod, indeed.

Thats why its important to find something you are comfortable with, that fits your personal skill set and personality, something you CAN do, and follow it through.

That's what's wrong with the one-size-fits-all mentality.

No debate there.

I've always found that to be one of the big lessons in MA, it makes you confront just exactly what you can and cannot do, like water finding its own level. That's probably why 1 in 1000 makes it to 30 years continuous training in their lifetime.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 06-04-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Bruce Lee was a student of my teachers brother of Bak Sing this is a known fact!

Yum Cha,

You cant expect people to say that you are good because you have done MA for 30yrs. How long have you been doing M/A for>?

Karti -
    29 years, 11 months, 29 days. I'm expecting it to all come to me in the next couple of days, I'll let you know if its more like a quickening, or the rapture.

Back when I used to hang out with Bruce, he never said anything about Buck Sing....